Author Topic: Accessory time for the tan c5  (Read 10930 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 19, 2014, 02:49:13 am
well i bite the bullet -so to speak and ordered my stuff from hitchcocks. only 6 days later it arrived in aust. very good service from those guys. then again freight is not what i'd call cheap at $170 either
so it's time to see what works with the bike and what was a waste of time.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:02:52 am
Looks like some great stuff there Bill
Be sure to post us pics

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:15:56 am
good and bad ...lol

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:57:51 am
well this is how it is starting off

for starters will only be doing smaller bits etc as i am in the process of rubbing back half the mazdaspeed miata turbo due to the red plasti-dip paint i sprayed on about a year ago bleached through into the white top coat. ruined the finish so i then sprayed it matte black but now with spring approaching want it back to A1 appearance like below photo.

how it is now

back to the bike

rather than fool around waste time i thought i'd invest $1200 straight off and just go get the bloody stuff. if it looks fine -all is well and if not bad luck. still waiting now for the windscreen and the rear rack to arrive.

first off i like the royal enfield stem clocks and on a longer ride they come in handy plus keep very good time....so its on. just got a couple of keys with my bike so i purchased the hitchcocks leather key ring. happy with that one too

standard battery with the bike is not what i would call crash hot so in went a motorbatt battery. over the bike purchases these have been a very good battery

not too keen on the chrome side stand either so sprayed it gloss black

so thats it for today. i have hd videoed the raw bike standard muffler etc etc and will do the same when all stuff is on the bike and at the end of the accessory run load it up and anyone interested can take a look.

Jonno

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:12 am
Hi Bill,
I'll certainly be interested in how the new headlight goes. I have been looking at that one myself.  Are the grips heated?  And on a thought, what did you spary the side stand with, and will it not flake off with boots and road gravel?
Have a great time fiddling, I look forward to seeing the end result.

Jon
Take Care

Jon

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:15 pm
will have a go at the head light etc in the next few days. heated grips! - didn't take much notice when i ordered the stuff. had another look and kicking myself i didn't buy them too....maybe next time.
just primed and top coated the side stand. it will do till i know what i'm up to next

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:55:21 pm
will have a go at the head light etc in the next few days. heated grips! - didn't take much notice when i ordered the stuff. had another look and kicking myself i didn't buy them too....maybe next time.
just primed and top coated the side stand. it will do till i know what i'm up to next

Stuff heated grips, only heat your palms, heated gloves is what you need, use on any bike and heat whole hand.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 03:10:22 pm
I see you got two mud flaps - I have the same front fender on the B5, and the lower end is too low.  Should fit the back fender ok, if you want one there...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 03:18:05 pm
not sure if i will use the mudflaps or not - time will tell on that one.... ;) gotta see first how one looks on a c5.
didn't cost much so it was just a toss in item for the postage box

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:27 pm
Me too.  I was disappointed when I saw how low the mud flap would have to mount on the front fender - ridiculous is the only word...

It will look good on the rear fender - if you want one there...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:24:17 pm by mattsz »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:40 am
It's always fun times when you get a giant box of toys!  Or if the wife asks, a giant box of much needed necessary parts to maintain proper safety of the bike.   ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:47:42 am
Or if the wife asks, a giant box of much needed necessary parts to maintain proper safety of the bike.   ;D

Always works for me!
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:04:18 am
Good stuff, all that. It's always a nice feeling when goodies like that arrive at your door  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 02:35:06 am
I like the black side stand touch... I'll have to take mine off, scuff it up and spray it with gloss black epoxy paint too.

matred

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:55 am
wow, lovely graham. you should be in royal enfield design team. especially that clock was just fantastic.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 10:01:32 am
an exhausting day!
decided to fit the efi muffler today. i have fitted 3 previously to the uce bikes so no big deal....wrong!

after undoing the standard run of bolts that hold the original exhaust system on - no matter what i tried i could not get it to budge one bit. like i said earlier i have put them on 4 other bikes. some were a bit hard but with a bit of wd40 and up/dowm sideway movement they all let go pretty well.
there is no way i could get it off so i thought angle grinder and cut the exhaust but at the last moment decided to work back along the exhaust. after that use a screwdriver and hammer to free but still -no go and stuck solid.

back on the forum for advise and 'Ace' mentioned peel the exhaust back. after a couple of hammer hits and nothing thats exactly what i did. a few up and downs etc etc and it broke loose. damaged but loose.

finally happy with the end results i then used the sander to smooth off the damage from the grinding incident

two hours later i placed the exhaust into the final resting postion. this time hitchcocks efi muffler was a very tight fit on the factory style header pipe. plus they had mad a couple of changes.
first off the perforated disc was set a little further inside the muffler than usual and in a concave pattern. plus the exhaust bracket was longer and would not line up with the rear footpeg contact.

looking at this photo you will see it now hooks up to the original front mount point

when you look at my old maroon c5 - the hitchcocks muffler is attached to the rear footpeg

so after the fitting i took it on a 100 klm run. a bit more noisier but i think i may drill out 3 or 4 of the perforated holes in the exhaust. it worked well for me last time so will do it again. maybe tomorrow -maybe not!  ...lol

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:48 pm
Looking good!

A quick question though; do these newer UCEs have a cat tube in the header pipe at all like the AVLs?  Does removing the stock muffler also do away with the catalytic converter?
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:15 am
I don't know about the new RE but my 2011 G5 didn't have a cat in the exhaust pipe.  Just a heavy walled pipe at the exit that plugs into the muffler.

The cat(s) on my bike are located inside the muffler and are now resting peacefully out back in my junk storage area.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:40 am
The cat(s) on my bike are located inside the muffler and are now resting peacefully out back in my junk storage area.

Perfect place for them  8)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:01:36 am
Love the muffler - may just have to head down that track  :)

Finally got the pillion seat finished & happy with the result now it is lower
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:03:07 am
OOPs - forgot to attach  ???
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:45 am
not bad at all - rear solo looks comfortable ;)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:07 am
today this horn had to go.

could get the horn off the mount so out with the angle grinder then drilled a new hole

i had this itilian/chinese horn on the burgandy C5 - very load and around 105 to 110 decibels - anyway loud!

colour not suitable for the bike. hit it with plastic primer and top coated in matte black. now back on the bike

next up the hitchcock anti vibration mirror dampers. ...cost around $20.  but do they work. i could see the difference but i wouldn't class this c5 a bad shaker compared to what i have purchased. the main thing they do work. not as good as inside a car looking into the rearview but if you have very bad mirror vibes - worth a look.

no anti vibe mount

with the mount. yes i did buy the pair...lol

last chore for the day fit the pedestrian slicer. prior to drilling the holes i stuff some pvc strips under the guard to stop the drill going through to the tyres

after that i removed all the bolts from the mudguard so i could lift it and get my hands under the guard

most were on very tight.looking at this bolt some-ne must have lent the indian maker some thread lock - was all all front bolts

about 15 minutes later it was in postion and tightend !

so thats todays bit of work and tomorrow i will drill out that crappy efi muffler and fit the saddle bags

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:27 pm
efi muffler pulled off the bike today and just inside the outlet drilled a few 8mm holes through the perforated concave plate . hopefully this will give it a bit more get up and go. worked on the previous b5

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:53 am
Hmm could be tempted by the pedestrian slicer  :)
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:24 am
about $30 will get you one...pretty cheap!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:49 am
That ped silencer does look good with that colour combo.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 03:47:52 am
wait till you see the next mod -

Captwilly

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:14 am
Love watch the progress with your bike! Also love that satin/maroon C5.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 04:43:22 am
good to hear some-one likes the progress... ::)  still working on the other stuff today.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:38 am
exhaust back on the bike after drilling out a few perforted holes inside the muffler. although i did not get time to test ride it i fired it over and it appears louder/stronger so i'sd say an improvement

first off today was fitting the royal enfield express saddle bags. coming in at around the $320 mark plus freight i wouldn't say they are a cheap buy but they do look good on the bike and blend in well. as for what you could carry in them....not much!

next up the headlight area

i've had this tri bar around for a while so decided to fit it

re-moving these headlight clips are pretty straight foreward but i would advise eye protection. especially when re seating the headlight. using long nose pliers these clips are under a lot of pressure and if they fly out of the housing - you could lose an eye
very quick. ...so the safety rule - eye protection!

tri bar installed

im chasing a 60's odd look and in those days just like the cars - we ran mesh headlight covers. this fits the bike to a tee

next up i never did like those chrome mirrors

tomorrow i start on fitting and wiring up the indicators and maybe brake light.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:37 pm
Keep 'em coming, man!

And, regarding your signature line:

2014 C5 tan/cheery -awaiting pick-up

that color scheme is cheery!  Change "awating pick-up" to "mods in progress"  :D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:35 am
removed the tail light housing with intensions of fitting the 'stop style' tail light.....my new tail light is way to small to fit the housing so thats the end of that one.

after that i'd have to figure out what to do about these 3 holes if i removed the housing completely

so i just fitted the bullet style indicators front and rear - wired them up and wrapped in insulation tape and called it a day.
tomorrow i might buy a soldering iron and have a go at soldering them all together....all work fine

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 06:58:14 am
plus the new grips

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 11:17:34 am
Wow! Love the headlight grill... wish they were legal in my area.
W.B., Your bike is looking pretty sweet!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 12:06:24 pm
removed the tail light housing with intensions of fitting the 'stop style' tail light.....my new tail light is way to small to fit the housing so thats the end of that one.

Keep the chunky black tail light housing, but yank the OEM light, and install your new "STOP" light in its place?

after that i'd have to figure out what to do about these 3 holes if i removed the housing completely

Keep the wiring hole for use with the new light.  Cover the other two holes with appropriate stickers or "bolt-on" badges?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:13 pm
It's looking really great.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 01:05:32 pm
Keep the wiring hole for use with the new light.  Cover the other two holes with appropriate stickers or "bolt-on" badges?

There you go, use a chrome bolt on the top one and mount your tag over the lower one.

Wildbill, you're NOT helping my "Farkleitus" at all. I haven't even gotten a RE yet and you have me looking at nifty stuff to add and change.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 03:43:19 pm
Bill, let us know how those saddle bags hold up. They look great on there and don't detract from the look of the bike at all.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 03:50:25 pm
re-moving these headlight clips are pretty straight foreward but i would advise eye protection. especially when re seating the headlight. using long nose pliers these clips are under a lot of pressure and if they fly out of the housing - you could lose an eye
very quick. ...so the safety rule - eye protection!

Observe Exhibit A:

This was the result of a rabid W clip that shot itself into my eye without eye protection.     :o

The bike is looking fantastic!  I'm really liking the personal touches you are adding.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 12:35:26 am
Scottie - it's a good way to warn us of the danger, but damn!  I was hoping not to have to see that again!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 01:01:01 am
krimp
i have purchased these saddle bags on previous bikes. they blend in well with the bike. i might make some sort of bracket to hold them on better. atm i use cable ties to the frame to keep them level.
remember that these are pretty small saddle bags so don't really hold much stuff.....but would be better than nothing. still undecided if i should have gone brown rather than the black.
high on octane
i too had a close call  with the clips a couple of years ago while removing the head light from the black chrome c5. it is unbelievable how fast they fly out the housing. in your case -you were extremely lucky to get away with a minor flick/hit and avoided any long term eye damage.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 05:42:50 am
just waiting now for the balance of the goods to arrive so took it out ona a 120klm run - dirt and sealed

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:07 am
Nice Awesome bike, nice pics and nice location.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 07:11:25 am
So, how do they hold up in the rain then? I ride most of the year and need something that will hold my tablet and lunch.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 08:21:26 am
thanks jvs

krimp
go to hitchcocks uk and in the accessory section look under luggage for this number 92501
i had these saddle bags on the maroon c5. i think they would be more suitable for what you want. a bit bigger in size with better protection from the elements on either corner

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 09:58:54 pm
sweet looking RE there wildbill 

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 04:37:41 am
Carlsberg Wordsworth
thanks for the comment - for once i am happy with the bike...but its taken 5 to do it ;)

finally luck today on the 3rd attept to get the tappet cover off the motor

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:56 am
purchased these about 2 years ago from i don't know where so plastic out - metal ones in

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:56 am
pointed it out on the road today and did a 200klm or 125 mile round trip. ran well and not a great deal of vibration either....possibly best one i have sat on.
as for the solo seat ...perfect! only one stop and arrive home in good condition in all 3 areas shoulder - neck and butt!....lol
below photo of the run taken from my gps watch

only rest stop on the run

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 03:39:38 am
couple of new items in today - all i need is a bit of time to fit and paint one of them

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:04 am
better photo of the rack

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 11:04:37 am
decided to give it a quick spray in black to see how it looks. i think this is the way i will go

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 06:12:45 pm
+1 Agreed

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 01:01:18 am
That rack looks so much better than the one I got from the UK. Not sure if my clip on Ortlieb bags would work with it but it sure looks good! I had a similar one on a hog years ago. It was mounted by the seat bolts. How does this one attach?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 01:49:14 am
will get you an underside photo of the rack

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:10 am
That's a nifty rack. I painted my rear rack in black as well.
I used appliance epoxy and it is holding up pretty well.