Author Topic: Looks Like I Blew My Bat Tree  (Read 15242 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:27 pm
          Just an update on the "leaving the petcock filter out to get better fuel flow" sitcheeashun.

Last night I thought of a little filter that I picked up somewhere back in the Dark Ages so I went down & found it in the spider webs this morning. The In & Out were a perfect, very tight fit for the fuel hose size I'm using. No clamps needed. The In & Out are adjustable a full 360 degrees. The filter mesh seems to be brass or bronze.

So I hooked it all up & the hose immediately glug-glugged itself full. Let it sit a while; no leaks.

Got dressed & went for a ride. No sign of fuel starvation. Perfect.

Got home, shut her down & the hose shows full of fuel unlike before when it always showed a big bubble.

PS: The engine is marvelous, Ace. Revs so easily now. Coming off my exit (90 degree easy curve) in 3rd at 30 onto a straightaway, 45 is so easy & quick in 3rd that I think I might see what 50 feels like (wish I had a tach) next time. 55 & 60 now are so smooth & easy. I put the long UCE kicker back on; the 9.8:1 is a killer for an old cripple who won't give up, but I'm getting very close to not needing that 2nd & sometimes 3rd kick any more at all. It's mostly 1 or 2 kicks now. ES is instant. I just whisper the word "starter" near the bike & it's running.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 05:46:45 pm
Back to the battery issue:

I recently upgraded to a LiFePO4 battery. This one: http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstz7s-fp.html

They recommend a specific charger that costs over a 100 bucks.  http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/0-4amps/lithium-us-56-926.html

Does that mean my generic Schumacher speed charge is a no-go? http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-1562A-CA-Charge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJAS

The difference as far as I can tell is that the Schumacher is 1.5 Amps Vs the other one which is 4.3 Amps. Will something catastrophic happen if I were to use the 1.5 A charger. Will it not charge/blow up ...?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 05:57:19 pm
Back to the battery issue:

I recently upgraded to a LiFePO4 battery. This one: http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstz7s-fp.html

They recommend a specific charger that costs over a 100 bucks.  http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/0-4amps/lithium-us-56-926.html

Does that mean my generic Schumacher speed charge is a no-go? http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-1562A-CA-Charge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJAS

The difference as far as I can tell is that the Schumacher is 1.5 Amps Vs the other one which is 4.3 Amps. Will something catastrophic happen if I were to use the 1.5 A charger. Will it not charge/blow up ...?
You could use the regular charger, but it is not the correct type, and you would have to closely monitor the voltage, so that it does not exceed the max voltage specified.
LiFePo is a supposed to be a "safe" chemistry, but I suggest not pushing it out of its bounds.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 06:08:27 pm
From what I read about the battery, is that the "special" charger is actually a speed charger specifically for their batteries.  You should be fine using the Schumacher as it is a muchlower amperage than the speed charger.  Plus, you're only trying to maintain the battery, not charge it in a hurry.  You may want to contact the manufacture to make sure tho.  I don't know anything about those batteries but that looks like it would be a good choice for me when I ditch the charging system on my bike for full race mode.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:43 pm
The 1.5 will be fine.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 04:44:45 pm
Thanks for all your input. I did finally call the battery company yesterday to confirm with them.

Short answer:  It will charge faster with the recommended charger, and nothing untoward will happen with the generic charger, just slower. Something about "different charge cycles." I do not understand what that means but thats what they said.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:32 pm
Thanks for all your input. I did finally call the battery company yesterday to confirm with them.

Short answer:  It will charge faster with the recommended charger, and nothing untoward will happen with the generic charger, just slower. Something about "different charge cycles." I do not understand what that means but that's what they said.

Just get the Genius Wicked Smart Battery Tender. Hardwire it to your battery & just plug it in when you get home. It knows how to charge them all.

The worst thing you can do to a starter is keep feeding it from a low battery.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 03:49:58 pm

Short answer:  It will charge faster with the recommended charger, and nothing untoward will happen with the generic charger, just slower. Something about "different charge cycles." I do not understand what that means but thats what they said.

Just to bring this to a full circle: I did finally install the Schumaker battery tender. It works fine with the LiFe battery.