Author Topic: warranty parts  (Read 3314 times)

webnash

• Scooter
on: July 27, 2008, 09:41:41 pm
I'm wondering if it's possible to get warranty parts without going through a dealer. The dealer that I purchased avl classic from is a couple of hours away and I doubt that he'd be into sending me parts without having me bring bike in. I don't want to devote a whole day into bringing it to him and don't particularly enjoy hanging out at his shop. I have a fuel petcock that won't completely close and wonder if I can get a warranty part or should just buy one. I am not concerned about cost with small parts, but would like warranty on bigger ones.

thanks to the wisdom that I've gleaned from this forum, I just completed some service which seemed to go smoothly. I haven't gotten any manuals yet, still waiting for mail. Also didn't get an owner's manual with it - but simplicity of design combined with great reading on forum seemed to smooth out the bumps. Here's what I've done so far, please let me know if I missed anything important!! I was thinking of changing oils again at 500, along with filter, which I'll have by then. Will it also need carb maintainence then?  thanks

July 27 – 175 miles

Torqued head bolts to 22-24 lbs.
Tightened all bolts on outside of bike
Adjusted valves and compression release – valves were slightly tight after torqueing head
Changed crankcase oil, gear oil, primary oil (all oils were pretty dirty)
Did not change oil filter (hadn’t arrived yet)
Tightened primary chain to 5-6 mm play
Tightened drive chain to 1” play
Aligned rear wheel with front wheel – moved left 2 notches and right 1 notch.
Checked plug - dry, slightly brownish, clean
Adjusted idle mixture slightly leaner
Checked clutch engagement and cable freeplay – was fine
Adjusted rear brake
Added air in tyres – 32 in front, 35 in back
Petcock doesn’t fully close – need new
Tightened alternator stat bolts

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:10:22 pm
Sounds like you're pampering that beast!
I'm sure it aprreciates it.

RE:
> Aligned rear wheel with front wheel – moved left 2 notches and right 1 notch.

You might double check on the snail adjusters for a small punch mark (one on each side). The mfr puts them there to show true alignment. Each punch mark should be the same distance from the stud.

Matt

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:06:36 pm
Unfortunately warranty claims can ONLY be filed through dealers.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:58:46 pm
Matt,
Thanks. I'm not finding punch marks, however it had 2 spots of paint on the cam lobes where the rear axle was adjusted to from factory. The factory adjustment was off, both in distance of centers of axle bolt and swing arm bolt from each other, and also by putting a straight edge against the rear wheel and aligning with front wheel. As far as the 2 sprockets lining up, it's hard to tell, but chain seems to sit centered on both. Are there any other concerns that I should have relative to that alignment?

Kevin
Do the warranty claims need to be made by the dealer that I bought the bike from, or could another dealer adopt me?

thanks, Mike

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:28 am
hee, I don't have a dealer anywhere close.. where I bought my EleCtRa..  .. no more..  they don't sell them..  what a nightmare shop that was

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:54 am
Any dealer can (and must to stay in our program) adopt you. I would say however that you may not be at the very top of his list if he is busy. This is not a slight, but his regular customers may have to come first. If you find a dealer that you like, please reward him with your business, warranty and otherwise. We are usually in small family owned shops (by design) and it is a tough business.

You cannot always rely on the punch marks. The correct method is the wheel alignment method.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:21 am
thanks Kevin!

erk187

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:55 pm
I have a dealer near me, called them and the conversation went like this " Hi there, do you folks sell Royal Enfields?"

"Yep, but we don't have any in stock"

"Okay, there is a dealer who is quite a distance away from me, could I bring it to you instead for a 500 mile service?"

"No, we don't work on them"

I called another dealer nearby, and the conversation was like this:

"Hi, do you have any Royal Enfields in stock?"
" Yes we have one, it is a classic"
"Non AVL?"
"I don't know about that"
"Is it a newer engine, with aluminum cylinder vs cast iron?"
"Let me take a look"
--Long pause--
" It IS a classic."
"Is it the classic with the newer or older engine?"
"I'm not sure"
"How much are you asking for it?"
"5200 plus 400 shipping and 75 for prep"
"Is it ready to go? "
"Yes, ready to go. I think we need to get a battery for it, we haven't done that because we can't figure out what kind of battery it is. You would have to give us a call and about 24 hours notice before you come to pick it up."

(Needless to say, I bought a used one the next day and logged 700 miles between saturday at 5:00 pm when I picked it up and tuesday afternoon. It came with a tractor seat and was green, just what I wanted!)

The question I have, is what ARE the parameters for dealers to be dealers? Willingness to answer a phone?

On the other hand, M&S Cycles in Schenectady NY, Steve is the owner, and on a day when the shop was closed, I went there and he spent about 3.5 hours on his off time explaining all the nuances of the Royal Enfield motorcycle. He was so helpful and informative, I brought my brother the next day on a 2 hour journey so that he could buy his bike from Steve. Excellent service and help there at M&S. It seems that there are so many variables with RE regarding service.

More Steve's, less RV dealers!

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:47:24 am
If any of you have an interaction with one of our dealers that is less than satisfactory I would encourage you to send me a private message on this site. We always follow up on complaints  (on a no name basis if that makes you feel more comfortable) as well as compliments.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:06 am
heY  eRk...   :P

good story..  truth is always stranger than fiction...  i think the rolling stones had that in one of their songs

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 06:47:36 pm
If any of you have an interaction with one of our dealers that is less than satisfactory I would encourage you to send me a private message on this site. We always follow up on complaints  (on a no name basis if that makes you feel more comfortable) as well as compliments.

I have a very satisfactory experience with my dealer.  The actuator arm with my clutch broke while I was out riding this week.  I was only about a mile from my house so I walked home to get my trailer, phoning my dealer along the way.  By the time I got back to my bike with my trailer, my dealer had already arrived on site (on HIS Enfield) and was checking it out.  He helped me get it on the trailer and met me back at the shop.  It's fixed now and I've been out riding today.   My point in posting this is that there are some awesome dealers out there.   Find one who actually RIDES an Enfield.   
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.