Author Topic: 15000km india travel on a 1976 bullet???  (Read 5280 times)

motello

• Neophyte
on: August 06, 2007, 05:48:05 am
Hi!
I want to buy a Bullet to travel 10000 - 15000km through india. i habe an offer from a trusted man for a 1976 model. he want 18000rs (400Dollar).

please give me an advice weather to go for this bike or to search for a later model (for less?). i don't want to have much problems on my journey. i heard that the new models, after enfield was overtaken, are better!?

regards
motello

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:37:14 am
If the 1976 bike runs well, it is probably a good buy.  However, if it makes a fuss about starting up, and runs really reluctantly, then it is probably not a good thing to spend money on.  The later bikes are much better than the earlier, but they are more expensive also.  If you look around you may find a better bike, for similar money - but if you feel the bike offered by the trusted man is a good one, go for it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

motello

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:37:49 am
thanks for your answer! I think I go for a later model. it will not be more expensive, the bikes in india are damn cheap!  a new bullet cost about 1600Dollar. i thougt about to buy a new one and take it to germany, but its too much trouble, customs and all this thinks.

but for you american people, may be its interesting. they not charge much for shipping.

PARTSGUY

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:14:40 am
i'm pretty sure you can't ship one of the bikes here (US) unless the bike is produced for our market and laws- so thanks, but i don't think we could legally have one of those on the road here.
 ;)  its one of the many ways our government keeps the poor people down >:(- don't let 'em do anything for nothing or cheap!  >:( permits!  >:( taxes!  >:( fees and licence!  >:( >:( blame it on the mexicans! >:(
i was completly not being serious.  goofy mood. :D

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:35:17 am
i don't quite understand..  a 76 in good shape is pretty much the same mechanically  as all of them as I have read..  I am new to these bikes  also.. yet from what i have found  here on this site , they are real easy to keep moving..... best of all in your trip.. wish I could join U,, 

Chetan Malvankar

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 01:36:22 pm
15,000 across India to Far-away Places.....the Bullet is a better option if the bike's in good working condition no matter if it's a 70's. You may not find parts for the AVL engines at all places you go and these are costlier as compared to the CI Engine parts.   

Besides it depends weather you want to travel in a Steam Loco or an Electric  ;)
Chetan Malvankar
RE Bullet 350
Enfield Diesel 325

deejay

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:39:20 pm

but for you american people, may be its interesting. they not charge much for shipping.

It's basically impossible to ship one in to the US. They get held at customs and you are out of luck.