Author Topic: intake turbulator  (Read 6242 times)

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
on: August 16, 2007, 10:56:57 pm
Have any of you installed that intake turbulator on your bike?? I put one on mine between the head and the carb boot. Now the plug is chaulk white. Did I put it in the wrong place?? Any feedback will help. Mark

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:19:54 pm
I was reading that it can lean out the motor, I don't know I've got one, just havn't put it on since i have a lean burn X.. my concern would be I'd fry the piston since my plug is already white

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:46:01 am
Have any of you installed that intake turbulator on your bike?? I put one on mine between the head and the carb boot. Now the plug is chaulk white. Did I put it in the wrong place?? Any feedback will help. Mark

I had to go from a 125 main to a 127.5 when I put one in my carb.  I have a K & N filter with a free flow exhaust, stock carb.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:52:34 pm

I had to go from a 125 main to a 127.5 when I put one in my carb.  I have a K & N filter with a free flow exhaust, stock carb.
Thanks, Leonard. Where did you install the Turbulator, behind the carb or on the flange to the head??? Mine has a S&B pancake filter and the classic pipe,stock carb

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:39:54 pm
I woulda thought it should go between the air filter & carb, to get the air stirred up before it passes across the jets, hopefully to atomize the fuel better.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:27:27 pm
I woulda thought it should go between the air filter & carb, to get the air stirred up before it passes across the jets, hopefully to atomize the fuel better.
You are correct in that assumption. If all else fails read the instructions.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

gapl53

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:28:55 pm
I have been trying to stay out of this instead of boring you with scientific facts. But I can't, so here is my two shackles worth.

If you stir up the air flow before passing over the fuel jet you would have a negative effect on power. As we know the carburetor works on the venturi effect. As the air passes through the carburetor throat, which is narrowed, it picks up speed. This in turn creates a vacuum, due to the difference in air pressure between the fuel bowl and the carburetor throat above the fuel jet, drawing the fuel out through jet. This is very similar as to how an airplane wing creates lift. Just like with an airplane wing if you do not have a smooth air flow you will lose lift. Or relating it to the carburetor throat, if you disrupt the air flow you will lessen the venturi effect causing less fuel to be drawn into the air flow. As far as I know the idea to cause turbulent air flow through the carburetor to increase power has been around since the 1920's. It has never proved to be worthwhile.
If the carburetor is the correct size for the particular engine's state of tune then the mixture will be mixed correctly.
Carburetors have been around since the Enfield motorcycle was born and they all use the venturi principal successfully. They have been refined to the end and that is why we have fuel injection, which does not work on the venturi principal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:49:45 pm by gapl53 »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:44:33 pm
Thanks, Leonard. Where did you install the Turbulator, behind the carb or on the flange to the head??? Mine has a S&B pancake filter and the classic pipe,stock carb
It has been quite awhile but I followed the instructions and I think it is on the flange.  To tell the truth I was never able to tell any difference but the bike was running good after the last main jet change with the trubulator so I left well enough alone.

:) Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com