Author Topic: Changing Countershft Sprocket for a sidecar?  (Read 5071 times)

enfielddan

• Scooter
on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:27 pm
Does anyone recommend or have changed out their countershaft sprocket on their RE motorcycle because of the sidecar?  I have a 2012 C5 with Inder sidecar and believe it comes standard with a 17-tooth sprocket.  What are the pros and cons of going to a 16-tooth sprocket?  I plan to keep the sidecar on all the time.  I want to change out the standard chain soon and what to do the sprocket also if it is advisable.  Thanks in advance for your valuable input.

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:47 pm
here's note from Kevin from another post:  "Dropping the front sprocket by a tooth is a good idea. The rear sprocket/drum really can't be changed. It is the same 1930's design"

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:59:29 am
I would recommend dropping a tooth on the front sprocket, it will put less stress on the motor and give you a little better acceleration, assuming you never ride it much faster than 55 mph.  Dan, if I remember correctly you live in Colorado not fat from me?   ???   If so I can give you a hand doing the sprocket change if you'd like.  I've had my primary cover off a few times now.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:55 am
Hello, I am new to the forum.  Just bought an Inder sidecar to install on a 2012 military c5.  Sounds like the unit you have.  Can you post a couple of photos that show your installation and hardware placement.  I have zero references for installation that give good clear directions.
Thanks in advance.
Waldo

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 05:15:31 pm
Walsdo,

I hope the following pictures help.  If you need more, just tell me of what specifically.

Regards,
Danny
2012 C5 with Inder sidecar

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:49:50 am
Thanks Danny, that is just what I needed!
I'm going to enjoy this RE forum.
Waldo

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:01:53 am
I see that the adjustable mounting tube at the rear passenger shock mounted into the shock fitting.  Did you have to machine a bolt to fit the sidecare parts and the bike fitting?  Nothing in the Inder kit fits, from what I can figure out.
That is a very clean installation.  You painted the hack frame as well.  Nice touch!
Waldo

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:36:02 am
I wish I could take credit for the installation.  I bought the combo that way from MJ Sales/Royal Enfield of Fort Work.  They sell a number of Royal Enfield with sidecars and have somebody who knows how to do the installation properly (unlike me).  It would be best to call them and ask for specifics.  I mostly did cosmetic changes to make it the way that I wanted.  Nevertheless, I am happy with the way the hack handles and performs (and of course the way it looks).

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:56:00 pm
Is that RE dealer in Texas?  Not familiar with Fort Work.
Thanks,
Waldo

enfielddan

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:15 pm
Ooops ::) ...my mistake.  Yes it should be Fort Worth of Texas.  My contact there is Jeff at 214-629-4011.  Tell him that Danny from Colorado who bought the 2012 Burgundy C5 with sidecar last year referred and recommended you to him.  He can give you the name and number of the sidecar technician/installer.  Good luck.  Please post pictures of your rig/hack when completed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:47:48 pm by enfielddan »

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 12:17:55 am
Thanks for all the info and pictures.  I'll be sure to post some photos when it's at together.
Waldo

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 11:57:16 pm
waldopic The alignment of the sidecar is critical to the handling, like setting the "Toe-in" on a car. You'll need those specs too.