Author Topic: Mikuni TM32 Flat Slide Question  (Read 2721 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:50 pm
    Got a question for the Mikuni TM series experts out there.

What is the purpose of that 1" diameter wheel-like ring with the 4 holes in it that sits circling the Needle Jet? It's Part #38 (Ring, Main Jet) on the parts diagram.

http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams123/exptm.gif
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:11:19 pm
I'm not certain what it is, but I think it is a slosh tray to keep the jet wet during heavy motocross activity.
This is originally a motocross carbureter design.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:04:02 pm
I'm not certain what it is, but I think it is a slosh tray to keep the jet wet during heavy motocross activity.
This is originally a motocross carbureter design.

It says you answered me at 6:11PM? Where the hell is it 6:11PM? It's 3PM here.

Anyway. I've spent over an hour trying to fit that #@#%#^^ing plastic wheel thing back on to where it will stay on. I think I'm going bloody shithouse mouse crazy. I know it was on there when I got the carb, but the only way I see that it can go will not allow the Main Jet to screw in. It's NUTS!!  >:( >:( >:( And this isn't my first rodeo.

I've had it. I'm leaving the Effing thing off.

BTW I'm going to try the 27.5 Pilot again. I thought a had a reliable starter with the #30 at 3 turns out. But Nuhoooo!

I'm back to thinking again that the #30 is too rich & that 3 turns out is too far (which was my thinking before).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:06:12 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:39 pm
                      It says you answered me at 6:11PM? Where the hell is it 6:11PM? It's 3PM here.

Anyway. I've spent over an hour trying to fit that #@#%#^^ing plastic wheel thing back on to where it will stay on. I think I'm going bloody shithouse mouse crazy. I know it was on there when I got the carb, but the only way I see that it can go will not allow the Main Jet to screw in. It's NUTS!!  >:( >:( >:( And this isn't my first rodeo.

I've had it. I'm leaving the Effing thing off.

BTW I'm going to try the 27.5 Pilot again. I thought a had a reliable starter with the #30 at 3 turns out. But Nuhoooo!

I'm back to thinking again that the #30 is too rich & that 3 turns out is too far (which was my thinking before).

Heh! It's 3pm here too.
You have to make the time adjustment for the forum under your Forum Profile settings.

I think it will be okay to leave the plastic wheel out.

Regarding the borderline jetting, that might be an issue. In warmer summer months, it needs leaner, and in cooler months it needs richer. Generally the 30 works fine for most applications, but for you it might be right on the borderline. You have a very unique application with different porting and chamber configurations than anything else that we have done. Yours might like it a little bit leaner than our other engines.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:59:49 pm
Regarding the borderline jetting, that might be an issue. In warmer summer months, it needs leaner, and in cooler months it needs richer. Generally the 30 works fine for most applications, but for you it might be right on the borderline. You have a very unique application with different porting and chamber configurations than anything else that we have done. Yours might like it a little bit leaner than our other engines.

I had three very encouraging kickstarts after I got everything squared away yesterday with the #27.5 Pilot & the mixture screw at exactly two full turns out. The first was with the Ace can not installed yet & no enrichener. It started on the first kick. I had to tweak the throttle just a hair just once or twice & it dropped into a smooth (it sounds SO good after your head work!) idle. I let it run until the oil lines were warm, shut it down & put the air cleaner on. I also removed the water shield; I'll never need it  :) ;)

The next two starts were at least an hour or more apart, no richener. The first was two kicks,  :) the 2nd one kick  :) :)

This morning I'll try a first start with no enrichener & see what happens.

Of course, the road will tell the real story. Hopefully that will happen today. I don't understand why it ran so shitty the last time I tried the 27.5 Pilot. It seems a different story this time.  Why? Quien sabe?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:07:16 pm by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:07:35 pm
The pilot actually affects the entire mixture range by a small amount.
And it does affect the transition off of idle, into the small throttle opening range.
So, there is more to the pilot jet than just starting and idling.
It can affect aspects of running too.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 03:11:50 pm
The pilot actually affects the entire mixture range by a small amount.
And it does affect the transition off of idle, into the small throttle opening range.
So, there is more to the pilot jet than just starting and idling.
It can affect aspects of running too.

No drama at all this morning. Backed the bike out in the driveway an hour ago, 63 degrees, still shady and let it sit there for an hour. Just started it with no drama at all, no enrichener, no throttle, no nothing, in three kicks & dropped into a smooth idle with the #27.5 Pilot & two turns out on the mixture screw. This was Never happening with the #30 anywhere from 2 to a full 3 turns out at a 1/4 turn at a time.

Would this seem to hint that I might be just a hair rich seeing as it started & idled so well with no enrichener?

I'll get my belt & suspenderers on now & see what happens on the road. Watch it bog down or fart now 1/2 way up to shifting into 2nd  ::) >:(   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:16:53 pm by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:24:56 pm
It might be a little rich, considering starting up at 63° without enrichener. However , let's see what it's like while riding.
Your bike is new territory. We need to see what it likes. It is certainly looking like it will run leaner than we are accustomed to seeing. That should translate into improved fuel economy too.
Your next step might be a leaner needle jet, maybe.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 07:39:08 pm
   I forgot to write when I got back (it's so hot today). I ripped off my sweaty Levis & just sat a while.

I wish I could get more than 10 miles without my shoulders & neck screaming at me "Go home"!

Anyway - it was marvelous  :)  Not a bog or a fart in sight anywhere from idle to shift point. Not a single backfire on deceleration in any gear. Very quick & smooth to shift points. Very easy & quick to jump to 45 in 3rd, I'll see how 50 feels next time. 50/55 is smooth & easy in 4th OR 5th. The jump from 50 to 60 or a hair more is very quick in 4th OR 5th. Around town no signs of "fixin' to die" at stops.

I rode just over ten miles & shut it down. 5 or 10 minutes later it restarted with one kick; the first time EVER since it arrived here in Dec. 2010 that I've been able to kickstart it on the side stand. ALL other attempts down the years have been unsuccessful. The angles seem all wrong plus I'm used to harley kickstands that you can lift the whole bike with. The RE KS is a soup can in comparison. I'll just keep on using the center stand.

The right side carb vent was dry as a bone. Oh, yes. I just remembered; when I pulled the slide out this time, it was very slightly wet & a hair black. From being rich with the #30 I would say.

Overall it's all good :) :)  Amazingly good.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:39:35 pm by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:49:55 pm
Awesome!

I love reading these things about the leading edge mods because it is so important to understand how they work on the road. When making mods like this, we have to rely a lot on math and theory to predict what results will be seen. This is because there really is no previous data to go by in the actual application on an RE.
These user reports are extremely important for us to have.

Glad you are achieving nirvana with your AVL,  finally!