Author Topic: Broken Rear Sprocket Teeth  (Read 9267 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 04:47:34 pm
Cool yeah I think it'll be fine. My 95 link stock chain is super stretched out and there's still room to tighten.

Any pointers for the sprocket and cush rubber replacement? The parts should be here today or tomorrow.
Pretty straightforward.
Just try to do a good job of getting the rear brake shoes centered and adjusted when you put it all back.
A little smear of grease on the brake actuation cams would be a good idea. Make sure it all moves well, and springs back.
Proper adjustment is to tighten the adjustment until the brakes drag, and then back off until they just barely don't drag.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 02:55:22 am
Cool thanks a lot ace. The parts came today so I'll probably get into this Sunday

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 03:14:09 am
Got it all together today and it wasn't too bad.  This video helped a lot with the steps by step wheel and sprocket removal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWHho1rwak

Trickiest part was removing the bearings from the old drum.

Seems to be properly aligned but haven't taken it for a spin yet. Cheers and thanks again!

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:43 am
I'm putting a new rear tyre and chain on soon so I'm going to replace the cush rubbers as well as they appear cheap enough. Can you confirm the stock AVL Electra has 4 rubbers.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:26 pm
Put a little grease on them to hold them in place and let the tabs slide in a bit easier.
Other than that pretty easy.
As for your question about chain length, it is somewhat critical as there isn't really as much adjustment as you might think. I added one to my G5 chain and it worked out OK. It's always better to be a bit long than too short! You can find half links for some chains, but they aren't very easy to come by.
You guys need to keep an eye on chain stretch as that is what tears up sprockets. The chain as it stretched, tries to climb up on the sprocket teeth and starts tearing the tops off. there have been several guys on the forum who have let the stock chain go too far and lost teeth. If you start to detect any wear on the sprockets, get rid of the chain fast! The rear sprocket on the REs is rather soft so they go away first. Most bikes will tear up the countershaft sprocket first.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:00 pm
I'm putting a new rear tyre and chain on soon so I'm going to replace the cush rubbers as well as they appear cheap enough. Can you confirm the stock AVL Electra has 4 rubbers.

My parts book sez 4 cush rubbers; Part #144471
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Jonno

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 08:02:53 am
I just had my rear sprocket destroy itself overnight. I have lubed and cared for my stock chain for 17,000 kms, and the sprocket was 'squared off' still at the top of the teeth. When I changed it out and looked at the chain (not stretched), the chain was as stiff as a ......board at various points. I've no idea how or why though  ???
The bottom line in this - the stock chain seemed to destroy my rear sprocket.   >:(
Take Care

Jon

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 05:13:41 pm
Yeah after searching the forum there are a lot of people who junk the oem chain immediately to save sprocket wear. Wish I'd read those posts earlier. Oh well.  I also assume that a chain that's adjusted too loose but not stretched could cause the same sprocket destruction as well.

The avl does indeed have 4 cush rubbers. Sorry for the late reply. The sprocket swap was pretty straightforward and relatively quick. Hardest part was removing the bearings that are stuck in the brake drum.

Best of luck!

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07:22 pm
Jonno the stiff chain is due to 2 things, Rust or Seized internally both due to a lack of lubrication. A easy way to check for chain wear if your rear sprocket isn't worn out, is to try and pull the chain away from the back of the sprocket, if you can see daylight between the chain & the sprocket the chain needs replaced. It doesn't matter how tight it is adjusted, your checking how well it "fits" the sprocket due to wear in each link pin. On most bikes you can go thru 2 or 3 chains before the sprockets need replaced. A worn chain wears sprockets quickly. A broken chain can cause a rear wheel lock & crash and in some cases bust the engine cases. Chains for Enfield's are cheap , sprockets, cases and your body parts are not.