Author Topic: burned out 2 headlights,then battery blew  (Read 2381 times)

greenie

• Scooter
on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:25 am
was riding a few weeks ago and noticed low side of headlight out, so flipped to high. went out after a few minutes heading home. bulb had a broken lug so i replaced it.it lost low side in about 30 seconds. read somewhere in forums about rr unit mounting/ground strip, so took it off and made sure it was grounding. started back up and revved it a bit and high beam burns out. while revved, all lights flickered a bit, ammeter is reading no charge or discharge, then battery goes POW!
got a new battery, tested rr unit (i think it might be bad) and am in the process of checking all grounds and wiring. will check gap on stator tomorrow. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance! greenie
'06 electra avl  7600 mi                     
95 ural tourist w/ 98 motor (650)
06 electra

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:22 pm
Failed reg/rectifier on an 8 year old Bullet sounds quite likely, particularly as it took out the battery as well as the h/l filaments.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:47 am
That is definitely a rectifier problem.  I don't think I would risk even testing it in fear of damaging your new battery.  Glad you didn't get hurt when the battery blew, that is scary and dangerous stuff when they get so overcharged they pop.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:21 am
thankfully, i was standing on the right side when it blew. :o    ordering a new rr unit tomorrow.
06 electra

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:01 pm
You can even blow up some reg/rectifier units too, I also had a 3 phase Boyer Bransden Power Box also go quite spectacularly on the AVL hybrid when I accidentally hooked up the battery the wrong way a couple of years ago, it must have boiled the electrolyte in the internal capacitor.  :-[  The rear shock absorber top cover still has a big dent in it, fortunately not visible from the outside. ;D

Dangerous stuff, electricity, even at 12V.

Regards,

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:43 am
got a new headlight (thanks to dan b) replaced battery and rr unit today and had an uneventful 55 mi ride today. man, it's nice to be "on the road again". thanks high and adrian.
06 electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:05 pm
Good deal Greenie!   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:24:36 pm
Hey, thats great news  ;D Greenie!  Congrats and well done. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra