Author Topic: Does this sound right????  (Read 3995 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 10:04:37 am
Let's assume you have no play at the inlet pushrod when at TDC compression, cold. To eliminate any chance the inlet valve is just clipping the piston on the overlap TDC, put a small amount of slack in this pushrod adjuster - say 0.005" - 0.010" and run the engine again. If the noise is gone [or quieter], the valve and piston have been just touching. If the noise gets louder, it is a valve clearance issue. You fitted a set of used second hand cams - what sort of condition were they in - any obvious signs of wear or damage?
 B.W.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:36:27 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:25 pm
i took the top hat out. i put it in tdc and tightened it to the right point.

How are you finding TDC? Do you have a foolproof method? Do you have a TDC tool? (screws into spark plug hole). Have you really perfected your your push rod adjuster locknut tightening technique? If you don't do it just right, tightening the locknut can change the adjustment.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:56 pm
i tightened them to the point where i felt there was no up or down play while still being able to spin the rods freely

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 12:47:49 am
i tightened them to the point where i felt there was no up or down play while still being able to spin the rods freely

If you're answering my post #17 (it's hard to tell when you don't quote anything; your answer just hangs out there with no question to refer to) I don't think that's what I asked you.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 01:13:49 am
i was answering High Octanes post.  I used a wooden dowl and marked the highest point. i might get that  tool it seems pretty handy.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 02:18:09 am
Also the cams were rated at 6/10 on hitchcocks.  Im guessing thats slightly above average.  As far as i could tell the cams were all there.  they looked fine to me. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:32:41 pm
One thing I have noticed about second-hand "S" cams, whether from Hitchcock's or the set I picked up on eBay a few weeks ago, is that the bronze bushes can be worn. While they can look OK, if they're sloppy on the spindles that won't help to keep the clatter down, and might be enough to cause the rattle you didn't have before when using cams with un-worn bushes. Attempting to adjust the cam gear lash under those circumstances won't quieten it down.  As you say you have done everything else as per instructions, that's where I'd look next.

Not a huge problem if that is the case, you need a new set of cam bushes, some way of pressing the old ones out and the new ones in, and a 5/8" reamer.

Good hunting.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:47 pm
It's the valves. Might need to be tightened up a little but they're not bad. Probably not more than a thou off.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com