Author Topic: Old Delhi Motorcycles - The Film  (Read 1801 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
on: August 05, 2014, 08:37:50 pm
I just ran across this gem. Well worth the time and filled with some wonderful quotes. I think these people are more passionate about Enfields than Americans are about Harleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-JwZfLKX1U
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:12:57 pm
Krimp:  I enjoy that film...Rode my nighthawk  on some of those roads and roundabouts ...The quotes were interesting and the Enfield reign supreme when I lived there...Their does seem to be a changing of the guard but it's a slow process in a country so diverse as India..I hope they continue to manufacture the Enfield in the foreseeable future ...Now if I can only get back to Old Delhi and have some kabobs, dark lentils/cream  and Nan with chili's at the President Hotel..Now u talking..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:35:03 pm
It stirs lots of memories, brings a tear in eyes - had seen it before. But it was nice to sit through this video again. It is more touching if you understand the language Punjabi/Hindi. These languages have their own charm. Awesome film - RE crazy Indians (count me as one). 

@GM: Don't forget Tandoori Chicken ;D.

If you guys liked it, check this one out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJN142xwnNA

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:30:53 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:29:57 pm
Wonderful. Nice to see the Bullet from another viewpoint. And to realize we in the west are not the only lovers of motorcycles.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:31:13 am
Great video! Makes me want to go for a ride!

Lynn

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:01 am
Krimp:  I enjoy that film...Rode my nighthawk  on some of those roads and roundabouts ...The quotes were interesting and the Enfield reign supreme when I lived there...Their does seem to be a changing of the guard but it's a slow process in a country so diverse as India..I hope they continue to manufacture the Enfield in the foreseeable future ...Now if I can only get back to Old Delhi and have some kabobs, dark lentils/cream  and Nan with chili's at the President Hotel..Now u talking..GM
GM.... Sigh!
Don't forget the Delhi Darbar and the Moti Mahal.... :D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:45:29 pm
And to realize we in the west are not the only lovers of motorcycles.

We in the "West" have less interest in motorcycles then most any place else in the world. The rest of the world was raised on motorcycles, where in the US they have always been toys because of our economy. We have always essentially been able to afford cars and gas has always been cheap. We didn't have to go through the motorcycle phase like most of the rest of the world did out of necessity. People in Europe and Asia just couldn't afford cars. 
As for Enfields going out of production, they didn't just triple, or so, their production facilities so they could stop building them. They did it to keep up with the demand for the bikes in India. They're used to having an 8 month waiting list on orders for them. They sell more bikes in a day there than they sell in the US in a year. You guys can't believe what an insignificant blip we are in their business plan. We should be extremely thankful to have Kevin having the courage to take on this brand.
Hopefully, they'll get a lot more popular here, but it's going to take awhile to change the People's paradigms as to what a motorcycle even is, or how to buy one. They either want a Harley just because it's a Harley and not really having any idea about that it is, or they look at the magazines to see who had the most horsepower, and the highest speed and lowest ET. At any rate whatever the specs are is really going outgun a Royal Enfield or even a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer! I doubt that Yamaha will be bringing in the SR400 very long, it won't sell many with no Electric Starter. That killed the SRX6 back in the '80s.
All these touring companies that go up the Himalayas on 350 Bullets aren't likely to change over to an 800 pound Harley to go there. The Bullets are the perfect bike for those trips!
Bare
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:07:22 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 01:53:20 am
Another reason to thank Indians: For rescuing the Royal Enfield Bullet from imminent death.

Its right up there among discovering the zero, inventing the numeral system and of course the call centers.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:23:16 am
+1 to what he said (adi-4004)
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:00:05 pm
Hummmmmm.....I never associated RE with hot girls before....that film changed my outlook!  ;-)