Author Topic: Verdict: tank coating (probably) damaged my fuel pump  (Read 10627 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 03:34:27 pm
Rich: Was wondering what happen to you on after leaving the bike at the dealer..You were fortunate to have a place a drop it off if I remember correctly...Sounds like the pump got clogged a bit and running it in that condition for a prolong period of time made it worst- but what can u do when you're hours away from home under ideal conditions...1200 is ouch time..Is that including the new tank being cleaned and sealed before installing the new fuel pump..You don't have a garage or secure place to do all that in the city..I was hoping that the FI bikes using a internal fuel pump would have had stainless tanks or the equivalent..It's the stuff like this that hurts the brand..I'm just shaking my head as I figured it was something else that caused the failure on your last road trip....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:11 pm
I don't know if your fuel pump is wrecked that it needs to be replaced with a new one.

I just want to share some of my experiences. It seems that the tank paint /coating does come off easily. In my G5 the paint has chipped off from large areas at the filler hole. Also I had hit the mid-rib inside tank when filling gas a few times, completely scratching off paint/coating (photo). All the gunk has fallen inside the tank and has been there for years. It is mostly my fault because I had rubbed and hit the metallic gas-pump-nozzle on these surfaces of gas tank, several times a few years back. Now I am more careful and gently place gas-pump-nozzle in between narrow space while filling gas into tank.

HOWEVER my pump is running just as great as before. There are many bikes with paint flakes in gas tank and their pumps are functioning well. The filter of the fuel pump is pretty large. IMO just seeing paint coming off the fuel tank does not automatically guarantee that fuel pump gas gone bad, since they seem to be capable of handling rough fuel.

Sometimes parts get changed from their appearance rather than test results of their function. Did they test the fuel pump pressure or flow rate or just decided from its looks that it should be changed ? 

Cleaning the lines of fuel injector that has small pores is more desirable IMO. Secondly keep filling the tank often so that it does not run low / dry. I fill my gas tank when the tank is at mid-point, every 2 gallons - about 150 miles.

+1. Don't through parts.... especially expensive ones !  At a problem.  And I would say, even though there is a Crazy amount of black Urethane paint over spray , on top of the red tank liner in your tank Singh. It has held up pretty well considering being submerged in fuel for five years...  but not so great around the outside filler . It looks like the vapors do more damage then being dunked.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 04:39:22 pm
I spoke with the technician and authorized the work.

He said they did indeed fully clean everything (filter screens, injectors, etc.). They tested the fuel pump pressure and he is confident there is a failure inside the pump. He knows what he's doing.

He also said that the tank coating might not be the direct cause of my problem. He said it is by far the most likely suspect, since there is clear evidence that there was previous flaking in the coating, but there is no currently loose or flaking paint in the fuel, just evidence of previous flaking and current paint bubbling.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 04:49:45 pm
Rich - Have you ever ran the bike completely out of gas to where the bike stalled?  That is the #1 cause for fuel pump failure.  I actually need to change the fuel pump in my wife's Hyundai today because she ran it empty a couple of weeks ago and it has now completely failed.  Like they always do when you run them out of gas.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 05:05:04 pm
Nope. I've run other bikes out of gas (cough cough every bike I've ever rented from Eagle Rider cough), but never this one.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:34 pm
Well, Kevin, I'm assuming I'm out of warranty at this point (bike purchased new 12/2012). If I'm mistaken, please advise. :-)

Isn't the warranty 2 years? Unless that is a typo, shouldn't it be under warranty until 12/2014, so four more months?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:24 pm
I was under the impression that my bike (a 2010 bought new in 2012) was covered by a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. I'll contact Kevin directly to clarify.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 07:04:08 pm
I spoke with the technician and authorized the work.

He said they did indeed fully clean everything (filter screens, injectors, etc.). They tested the fuel pump pressure and he is confident there is a failure inside the pump. He knows what he's doing.

He also said that the tank coating might not be the direct cause of my problem. He said it is by far the most likely suspect, since there is clear evidence that there was previous flaking in the coating, but there is no currently loose or flaking paint in the fuel, just evidence of previous flaking and current paint bubbling.

Good deal then Rich, sounds like he is on the ball.  Key on,kill switch on , Battery voltage without significant drop at the plug as the pump spins up... both hot and ground  tested. 42 psi should be seen.  Voltage drops off after the initial prime. Hit the start button, again battery voltage and 42 psi maintained as the pump and the bike runs....
 If he had voltage across the plug but the psi was low or NO ?  The pump is probably done.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:45 pm
Out of curiosity: How would an uncoated aluminum tank hold up ?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 07:38:12 pm
I was under the impression that my bike (a 2010 bought new in 2012) was covered by a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. I'll contact Kevin directly to clarify.

As I understand it...

Any RE bought new has a two year unlimited mileage warranty for the original purchaser.  If your bike is a leftover that doesn't matter, so long as it is new and you are the original purchaser.  You should still be under warranty. 

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 08:00:39 pm

Scott is correct, to the original owner it is a two year parts and labor unlimited mileage warranty. Please dig out your owners manual because it lays out the warranty in plain English and also lists exceptions. (wear items. lack of service - the normal things)
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 08:50:36 pm
Thanks, Kevin! I am the original owner with a "new" bill of sale, but I didn't get an owner's manual with the bike, just the keys and the toolkit. (Remember, it was Brooklyn Moto, I was lucky to get handlebars and a seat.) I have the owner's manual (downloaded), but it's the Eicher version.

I'm happy to know that if something obviously catastrophic happens, I'm covered for another few months. Both of these repairs are borderline cases in terms of whether they're covered.

I've informed the dealer that the bike's still under warranty, and asked them to discuss it with CMW through their normal channels if they think either of my repairs is a warranty claim.

Thanks all! I'm just happy that I'm going to get the bike back soon, one way or another...
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:32 pm
Rich,
Unless you know something I don't know Brooklyn Moto is not one of our dealers and never has been. I just spend several days there and they do not sell new bikes. I also had never met the owners before.
http://brooklynmoto.com/
Better send me your VIN number in a PM and I will check it to see what the deal is. Glad you got the handlebars, do you need a seat?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 09:35:53 pm
Well, to be more precise: I bought my bike from Carbon Negative (then a DBA of Vespa Soho) on Dobbin/Guernsey St in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since that time, the shop in that location has begun doing business as Brooklyn Moto, but I don't know if it was a merger, buyout, or what.

Regardless of the name, the couple of times I've attempted to get help from them I was treated in an unsportsmanlike manner, so I won't go back.

I'll PM you with my VIN.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:07 pm
Happy ending: just got a call, bike is ready, Kevin and friends covered it 100% under warranty except for a couple of consumables (oil and cables). I'm picking it up next week!
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]