Author Topic: Odd Exhaust Tone  (Read 2334 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 14, 2014, 10:51:06 pm
So I went on a 100 some mile ride today with a friend.  And while riding I heard something subtle yet strange and couldn't really tell what was going on.  Then after checking out the bikes for the Cannonball Run we were getting ready to leave and I noticed that the right pipe sounds different than the left pipe.  The right pipe has a tinny ringing noise with the exhaust note while the left side sounds like it always does.  The bike was running OK so I said screw it and left.  We stopped about 5 miles later to top off on fuel and wanted to trouble shoot a bit more.  So I pulled the right plug wire while it was running and it died.  Pulled the plug and it looked a little on the lean side, but not dangerously lean.  I connected it to the cap and kicked it to check for spark, and the bike fired right up on one cylinder and the spark looked a little weak but I could still see it sparking so I put it back in and rode her home the 50-60 miles or so on the back roads.  I could still cruise at about 70ish but the bike seemed to be lacking a little power compared to normal.

Is it possible that the valve lash is out of sync and causing the exhaust notes to sound different and effecting the performance?  Maybe a halfway fouled plug?  Any ideas or help would be great.  Thanks!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:08:33 am
Are your plug leads a pair or different?
It is possible for leads to wear at different rates therefore altering spark to plug
Get a multimeter a measure the resistance of each lead, post up the results.
Valve lash can effect it a little but not majorly, my bullet runs the same with or without tappy tappets ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:35:04 pm
If it wasn't running on one cylinder, or running poorly on the one, then that could account for it.
Maybe you have one weak coil, or a plug wire going bad, or something.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:45 pm
The coil is dual lead and only 1 year old.  Perhaps I should replace the resister caps fro non-resiter caps?  I'm running B5HS plugs, and I've always noticed the spark is on the weak side.  Crap I think I remember something the instructions saying that I have to use resister type caps to prevent damage to the electrical.  I guess I'll just swap the plugs and set the valve lash again and see where that gets me.  It's really weird, the 2 pipes sound distinctively different.  I haven't experienced that before.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:22:55 pm
Is ignition timing independently settable for each cylinder, such that one can be off tune?

Does compression feel equally good on each pot as you kick her over with the ignition off?

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:25:13 am
I think I may have burnt a valve.  I lashed the valves yesterday, the left head was still in spec, but the right head the intake was a 1\5 too tight and the exhaust was 1/2 turn too loose.  The cylinder isn't dead but I'm pretty sure I lost a good amount of compression.  It's still running and sounds healthy but it is no where near as fast as it was.

http://youtu.be/gpkwLfIw4aI

Scottie J

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:04:17 am
Bummer. But maybe this is the bike telling you it wants those hot Ace heads! Can't say that I blame it :P
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:43:40 am
Bummer. But maybe this is the bike telling you it wants those hot Ace heads! Can't say that I blame it :P
D
Hahaha!  ;D

Just did a compression test, 125 psi on the left cylinder and just under 60 psi on the right cylinder.       :-\

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:06:51 am
D
Hahaha!  ;D

Just did a compression test, 125 psi on the left cylinder and just under 60 psi on the right cylinder.       :-\

Aw shit son!
Time for the head to come off :/
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.