Author Topic: Exhaust Pipe Not Staying in Head  (Read 2986 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: July 27, 2008, 01:18:40 pm
I originally thought my butterfly bars had something to do with the exhaust popping outta the head. Not so. The second time they came out the bars were not making contact.

It is a little cheesy the way the pipes are supposed to be kept in place against the exhaust port. Add to that you have to flex the bracket to get the pipe on and off. So it was not surprising when mine cracked in two where it mounts at the frame.

I have since mounted a beefier, more substantial bracket in it's place. It is a two piece job so you get the pipe on and off without bending anything. The two pieces overlap and have a bolt holding them together. Seems to be working so far.

While the Enfield is not the only bike to have "slip fit" exhaust connections I believe they would be better off to add a flange and bolt them to the head.

Ural recently did this and it is a much improved setup. With their old arrangement you had to literally beat the pipes on and off. A bolted flange works so much better.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:20:51 pm by edthetermite »
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:15 pm
On the other hand exhaust manifold bolts can be the very devil to move sometimes.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:52:42 pm
Ed, go to Harbor Freight and buy a small exhaust pipe expander(under 10 bucks). Use it to expand the mouth of the pipe. Go slow and check the fit often. When satisfied use  small amount of exhaust sealer, and drive her home with rubber mallet. Worked on my Ural and Enfield.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:46:34 pm
Charro gave you good advice. I have done this myself, but be vary careful not to overdo it. Another trick is to insert the pipe into the head and then tighten the bracket that goes to the front downtube BEFORE you try to fit the rear end of the pipe.

PS - If you bought the pipe from us we would most likely replace it under warranty if the bracket broke. All non-wear parts have a one year warranty from us.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:48:15 pm by Royal Enfield 1 »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:45:26 am
Whats a pipe expander look like . Cant be much to it for 10bucks.

Never heard of such a thing on this side of the pond.

I have noticed whilst travelling the world that Uk seems to have exhaust shops that only have pre made pipes for that model. They dont make stuff up unless it is a one off and thats a special shop  which is usually not local.

On the other hand Thailand does not have pre made at all. Everything is made on the spot.

Ok I seen it harbourfrieght.com   nice tool,

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:26:57 am by clamp »
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:59:23 pm
Don't know if this is any help but......

I found that the system can be pulled slightly out of place when the various bracket-nuts are tightened up.  Changing the silencer was one cause of this for me because a slightly misaligned bracket pulled the whole system out of line.  I found it best to fit the pipe and silencer together properly and then offer the whole assembly up to the frame.  I let it hang on the brackets with the pipe correctly placed in the head and then looked to see where the bracket needed adjustment to avoid pulling the system out of line when tightened.  I needed to bend one of the silencer brackets a little and place a few washers behind the other as spacers.  In this way I got the system lined up so that the nuts on the brakets just tightened everything up in that correct position; they didn't move the system into a different position. (Also lessens the possibility of stress fractures in the brackets. I didn't realise that at the time - I learned it here).

Tom
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:44:47 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:38 am
CLAMP- have a look at this-

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37352

as you tighten the nut it spreads to expand the pipe... pretty cool
                  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:19:46 am
Yup, thats the one. Be careful when using it, its cheap pot metal broke mine. Go slow, if it breaks Harbor Frieght has a good exchage policy. Worked geat the second time around.

Wish I can say that it was my idea. But in all honesty, Kevin at CMW showed me how to do it on one of my many calls to CMW.  Thanks Kevin, Jim , Nate  and staff for being there for me.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 05:45:37 am
Andy,

I got the HF xpander and managed to break it in short order trying to enlarge the exhaust.
I don't know how you guys did it but my exhaust has that stupid emissions fitting welded on the pipe. Consequently you cannot fully insert the expander; it will go about half way in. This results in the xpander "fingers" cracking in two when sufficient force is applied.

I would have to get some sort of small die grinder in the pipe and try to remove the part of the fitting that extends pass the pipe wall.

This is par for my course in life,

Overheated Ed in the sweltering Ozarks

Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:48:45 am
Andy,

I got the HF xpander and managed to break it in short order trying to enlarge the exhaust.
I don't know how you guys did it but my exhaust has that stupid emissions fitting welded on the pipe. Consequently you cannot fully insert the expander; it will go about half way in. This results in the xpander "fingers" cracking in two when sufficient force is applied.

I would have to get some sort of small die grinder in the pipe and try to remove the part of the fitting that extends pass the pipe wall.

This is par for my course in life,

Overheated Ed in the sweltering Ozarks

Ahh Ed my bad, mine did not have the emissions fitting. But did manage to break the first one. Second one would I tighten it, the loosen it, tighten a bit more the loosen until expanded. Like I said did the RE and Ural that way. Good Luck
Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:43:12 pm
As I mentioned in another post, I once had a Bonneville with loose exhaust at the head, and I cured the problem with a thin metal shim.  Worked great! 
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB