Author Topic: Do I need a Sidecar brake?  (Read 11208 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: August 02, 2014, 12:59:56 pm
I'm looking at buying a C5 with a Cozy next spring, and for once looking at things before I drop a wad of cash. I have both a KLR and Versys and these two will be my "Working" bikes with  the Rig being a fun bike. I'm NOT a Interstate runner at all, might as well be in a bus!  :o

The dealer said I'd likely need a sidecar brake. I got the feeling the Enfield and Cozy would be OK without this as it doesn't weigh a ton. If I do need one where can I get one and is it a big deal to install?  I am planning this as a local back road Putt Putt bike. I may ride to work on nice days all back roads and 11 miles. 

Another question on building this rig, would lowering the final drive ratio be needed or even a good idea. I'm not a "Boy Racer" and would rather have more get up and go than top end. I was thinking of dropping the front by a tooth or two as it looks like the rear will be a major headache to change out, that rear sprocket/drum combo is the craziest thing I have ever seen!

Thanks   
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:11:17 pm
There are hundreds of Cozys running around with no brake. However..... more brake is always a good thing.

Dropping the front sprocket by a tooth is a good idea. The rear sprocket/drum really can't be changed. It is the same 1930's design
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

creaky

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:45:24 am
I have a 2006 Bullet with a Cozy sidecar. Bought last year. It has a brake which I am told Cozy never made and is from something else. It was very in-effective and I can show you pics if you want. The problem was it worked on a shaft in line with the brake lever (where it connects to the stoplight) This placed the chair about 6 inches too forward giving me a trail of about 14 inches. To move the chair back to a respectable 8 inches (trail) I dispensed with the brake. Handles much better and brake was useless anyway. (It was only a single leading shoe type) One day I may experiment and make the brake work from a cable like a car handbrake. Let me know how yours turns out.

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:45:11 pm
Don't have a brake on G5 with old California Companion and have not found that i need one.  Had brake on old Watsonion frame before and never used it.  Could be handy sometimes i suppose but not essential.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:24 am
Do not have brakes on either of my rigs and seem to be doing pretty good.  Guess the one on the V-Star Velorex might be a fair idea but I'm concerned about it pulling when the car brake is applied.  Have had the Ymarex up to 85  :o and did not seem to need the brake. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:49:21 pm
I had an XS11 with a Vetter Terraplane a few years back.  The sidecar brake was a wonderful thing.   Right turns were a thing of beauty with that beast - drag the hack brake and a touch of throttle would have the rig pivoting around the side wheel.

so, if you have the option ~ I'd say yes to the brake.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:16 am
Hey Creaky

Where'd you get that dog in your sidecar. Can't see vey clearly with the small picture, but he/she looks a lot like our dog, Kozi.   :)
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 04:15:10 pm
I've had several sidecars, including a RE/Cozy now.  I have not found sidecar breaks useful - they are much less powerful than the bike breaks, and its very hard to get them balanced so it behaves well if you stop from speed.
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:17:17 am
Well I finely got the Bike. I ended up with a 2015 C-5 in black and As soon as I took delivery the bottom fell out here in Ohio and it's rain almost every day. I only have 58 miles on the bike right now...and it's KILLING ME!  >:(

Anyway I decided to wait a bit before I go for a sidecar and I hate to kill a two year warranty by hacking the little bike. But I'll be in the wings and may buy the car next year and forgo the last year of coverage if the bike proves to be a solid as it seems.

I am still learn and read all I can find.

Coot 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Chip Labrador

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 04:28:31 am
Just got ann Inder Rocket side car that has a cable operated drum brake. Anyone know how to connnect the cable?
2013 Enfield Classic 500
1974 Triumph Bonneville T140
Inder Bullet sidecar
A few cars, too

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:12:15 pm
At the weight of the Inder/Cozy/Kozi sidecars a brake is not needed. As you are finding out with your Inder hooking one up is not a simple task and requires welding and drilling for a questionable benefit. We have the ability to import Cozy/Kozi's with a brake and have always elected not to for that very reason.
This is especially true since RE started with disc brakes.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 06:12:26 pm
Is the sidecar brake ya'll are discussing an emergency type brake or another conventional shoe like on the rear drive wheel?
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:02 pm
Some rigs have a brake and some don't. In one scenario they are tapped into the brake pedal or if they rear is hydraulic the rear master cylinder (a bad idea IMHO).

Many experts suggest that your first sidecar be one with out a brake and then after you gain experience you decide if you really want one. I am of this school. Wait I guess I am a sidecar expert by default :)

They can be very difficult to set up correctly and can cause more trouble than good. There are too many factors to outline here.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 06:27:11 pm
I've never owned a sidecar rig but am seriously shopping sites for the purchase of a small one for my 80lb yellow lab, hadn't really thought about needing extra braking but incline parking could be an issue. I can see where brakes that become out of sync could be problematic...especially in rain. Thanks for the insight Kevin
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 06:34:53 pm
Incline parking will not be an issue either way. For what it is worth the thing we hear the most from customers is that they want to put their dog in it. We do sell "doggles"
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com