Author Topic: help replacing the swing harm bushings...  (Read 3728 times)

strat71

• Grease Monkey
on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:02 am
hi,
got a few days and started to do what's to be done on the rear of my 2009 classic: brakes, chain, swingharm bushes, wheel alignment etc..
i put the swing harm down, get off the plastic bushes. Now i need to install the metalastic hitchcock bushes...

what is the best method to do it well, i'm supposed to press'em, but all i got is a heavy hammer. would you install with a hammer?
how do you guys would do?
Ben

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 03:17:40 am
Can you get a large C clamp?  If you had one you could press them in.  Also, many auto shops will rent or loan tools.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:06 am
hi,
got a few days and started to do what's to be done on the rear of my 2009 classic: brakes, chain, swingharm bushes, wheel alignment etc..
i put the swing harm down, get off the plastic bushes. Now i need to install the metalastic hitchcock bushes...

what is the best method to do it well, i'm supposed to press'em, but all i got is a heavy hammer. would you install with a hammer?
Ben

If you don't have, or have access to a press,  Use threaded rod to pull them in, forget the size off hand ?...  3/8" or 1/2".  With nuts, large washers and or sockets on both ends.
 Lite coat of grease around the outside of the bushing, center it in the opening of one end of the swingarm and tap start it in with a Mallot.... STRAIGHT !...... start your washers and nut on one end of the rod and slide it in the other end of the swingarm and up through the bushing you started on the other side.  Put on the washers and nut on the bushing side now, and evenly snug up both sides. Then start cranking down on the nut or nuts, and evenly pull it in.   But don't go all the way flush yet.... leave about a half inch sticking out.  Now undo the rod and nut on the open end, and repeat with the bushing on that side.  Pull them both in now, until they but up in the middle of the cross tube.  If you find one end is further in or out then the other, just use the threaded rod , nuts and washers on either end to pull to what ever side you need it to... You want to end up with the same amount of the bushing sticking out from both sides of the cross tube on the swingarm.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 05:31:19 am
You want to end up with the same amount of the bushing sticking out from both sides of the cross tube on the swingarm.
Thanks for the procedure, i'm not sure i understand how to get one side in without moving the other side.. anyway, i'll try..
but what amount of bushing-sticking-out do i need?
the bushing came with two washers, i suspected they were to replace the sticking out part of the plastic bushings (between the swing harm and frame)
so i thought the bushings need to be flush.. am i wrong?
Ben

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:04:06 am
hi,

Ben

Threaded Rod, six fender washers (3 each side), and 2 large nuts.

use the hammer to tap the bushes into alignment, then, stick all-thread-rod through, stack with washers and nuts, and screw like a twister .....

-edit-

Just like GHG has already instructed ....   :-[  :-[  :-[  :-X
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:31:41 pm
Thanks for the procedure, i'm not sure i understand how to get one side in without moving the other side.. anyway, i'll try..
but what amount of bushing-sticking-out do i need?
the bushing came with two washers, i suspected they were to replace the sticking out part of the plastic bushings (between the swing harm and frame)
so i thought the bushings need to be flush.. am i wrong?
Ben

If you got them from Hitchcocks , and they are still the same....and I imagine they would be. The two washers are thrust washers to take up the slack on either end of the swing arm pushes, should you need them.

The new bushes incorporate the total overall length of your old set up. Being, the bushes and pivot tube that the bolt slides through. Your new bushes have the pivot tube attached to the back side of them.  One half the length on each, equaling the total length of the old ONE pivot tube. Sooooo.....  draw them in, and get them "BUTTED" together inside the swingarm. Then, with your set up with the threaded rod and etc. adjust them so that equal amounts protrude from both ends...as you may have to loosen one side of the rod, and tighten the other and etc. Once they are butted together inside, they will move together, in and out . USE A RULER....and measure the protrusions from the ends and get them even. 

Also, it is important that you use washers that are LARGER then the openings in the ends of the swingarm.... this way at worst if you pull the bushing in too far, it will be no deeper then even with the opening in the swingarm. Which may happen !.... no big deal.  When you pull in the other side, it will butt up against the other one inside, and then you can adjust as needed as they will now both move together as you tighten or loosen as needed .
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:13:08 pm by gashousegorilla »

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:25 pm
ok, i got a good night and now i get it...  ;D
i didn't understood the bushes will be touching in the center...
ok i think i got all the understanding i need to start the job...
THANKS A LOT GUYS FOR SUPPORT!!!!
Ben

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:20 pm
by the way, i noticed the geometry of the swingarm is a bit off, i mean the axis of the wheel isn't parallel with the axis of the swingarm pivot...
would you bother? is it worth the pain to make it right?
Ben

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:36 pm
ok, i got a good night and now i get it...  ;D
i didn't understood the bushes will be touching in the center...
ok i think i got all the understanding i need to start the job...
THANKS A LOT GUYS FOR SUPPORT!!!!
Ben

by the way, i noticed the geometry of the swingarm is a bit off, i mean the axis of the wheel isn't parallel with the axis of the swingarm pivot...
would you bother? is it worth the pain to make it right?
Ben

Hahahaha !  No worries, you'll get it. And see what we mean when you do it.

Would "I" worry about it ?  Yeah. Depending on how far out it was. I tend to like things straight and true on a bike especially the faster I go.  How far out is  yours ?

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 01:10:17 am
i don't know, maybe 5°, hard to say...
i'll try to see if i can twist it back gently, if i can't i'll decide i don't have to worry... ;)
Thanks Ben

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 03:02:12 am
bad news it'll be harder than expected...
i started on one side, started pushing the bushing with a hammer, then use the rod as described... i put some previous grease inside to help the bush move..
the first half of the way it moved great but it became harder and harder...
i pushed it as far as i could but it's not deep enough... i need one more millimeter but now it's stucked and won't move anymore, all i'll do if i insist is detroying the bushing... hmmmmm problem...
it's strange, looks like the bushing is too large for my swingarm... i'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be pressed too heavy otherwise how could we get it off...
anyway, there's no way i'll be able to adjust forth and back with the rod technic...
solution? i'll try to find a pro with a press to get the extra millimeter and set the other side... anyway, i'll sleep on it and see tomorrow how i can finish or fix the thing...
Ben

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 04:45:03 am
 They don't tend to slide in like butter... It DOES take some effort. AND I think you went TOO far in.  They don't end up flush with the swingarm... they protrude.  If it wont go flush, don't try to make it do so. Again, leave the first one sticking out about a half inch.   Yeah... you can have that backed out with a press.  You can do it with your rod and a Socket, but if it's REALLY tight in there with an undersized I.D. ? You might damage the other end of the pivot tube on the back side of the bush. 

Here, to give you an Idea of how they end up......

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:46 am
i didn't wanted it to be flush with the swingarm, but i try to have the same outside measurement (the part left outside the swingarm) as the old plastic ring but i have 1.5mm more... so if i leave it this way, the swingarm won't fit in the chassis.
do you have any idea of the protubering measurement on you photo, it's not very clear, but i think mine protude more..
Ben

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 02:21:06 pm
 OK Ben, I see what you mean. Your almost there, but you cant get it all the way home and where it needs to be. I think you are on the right track though, with measuring the old one and it's distance out from the swing arm. You can also measure the overall length of the one you have not yet put in... it should be the same as the installed one. And measure the swing arm tube where they are installed, and determine your end result. I would also measure the depth of the stock bush, from it's lip where it would rest on the swing arm and back. And compare that to the new one. If the new one has a longer body , taking in account the distance that is would stick out. THAT may be your issue.

My swing arm is back on the bike. But I can get in there later and get a measurement for you if you need it. 

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:07 pm
thanks for support, this morning i did my maths...

1) the new bushing overall length is 9.75mm
the swingarm width is 19.2mm
so the two bushes should be able to meet in the center as exposed and have a part left outside

2) the inside length of the old bushing is 39.5mm
the inside length of the new bushing is 44mm, but it's not supposed to be flushed
+the distance between the outside of the swingarm and the stopping lips inside (there's a lip to stop the bushings before they go too deep) is 48.5mm deep so the new bushings should not meet the stopping lips.
i don't see no reason here for trouble

3) the diameter of the new bushing is 26.99mm (digital reading)
the inside diameter of the swingarm tube is 26.91mm
considering the length of the bushing that needs to be pressed in, i think the problem comes from here, there's too much pression needed and the new bushing has deformed, and bloking the piece in...

conclusion
all the maths don't change reality, the bushing is bloked inside, the outside part left is 6.5mm and the old bushing outside measurement is 3.65mm, so i'd need about 3mm more and i can't do it.
i think my only option is to try to get the bushing out, but i'm pretty sure it'll be unsuable after that... if i can succeed...

bad sunday
Ben