Author Topic: Handmade luggage rack  (Read 1596 times)

mtrue77

• Scooter
on: August 01, 2014, 11:44:51 pm
I'm no metalsmith, and not much of a mechanic.  If I need a part for the motorcycle, I first turn to wood.  Not so good for engine parts.
I made the box to sit on the back a few years ago.  I recently decided to make a luggage rack to sit on the curved top of the box.  Here are a few pictures.  I have not yet decided how to keep it in place.  Maybe bungee cords, but I hope to come up with something more interesting.  I want it to be easily removable.  The box, by the way, is mounted on a black, steel luggage rack.  I have a small piece of wood under the seat.  On it are mounted a fuse block and a relay for the dual car horns I added a few years ago. 
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 01:28:03 am
Hi,

how about drilling the centers of the rack's cross pieces and fitting a pair of stainless steel nyloc dome nuts (they are out there) flush into the topmost slat of the box (i.e. dome downward) secured by the best aviation grade glue you can get. A flange nut with the flange under the slats would be more secure but let the rain in when the rack is not in use. Use stainless Allen/socket head cap screws to suit with the cross pieces counter-bored so the screw heads fit flush. Alternatively you might also be able to adapt a set of custom car hood pins to suit.

Will that help until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 01:08:51 pm
I'm no metalsmith, and not much of a mechanic.  If I need a part for the motorcycle, I first turn to wood.  Not so good for engine parts.

That's a beautiful piece of woodwork worthy of Norm. You can work in my house any day & I let no one work in my house  ;).

Could you use plastic coated cable or conduit holddowns? The kind that look like Omega?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.