Author Topic: New RE member with old bike project  (Read 5853 times)

comp3d

• Scooter
on: July 27, 2008, 04:17:37 am
Hi folks, I recently bought a Bullet 500 from a friend of mine that is over in Iraq.  He disassembled it for me and shipped it over in multiple mail crates.  I have a shop full of parts and am waiting for the last shipment to get here.  The frame and wheels.  I was told that it is a 1965 bike, but not sure.  I will get the numbers off of the engine and tranny and go from there. 

Pics of the bike and the project will be on the following site:

www.panelskinz.com/bike.htm

If you have any advice or comments, please feel free to give me a shout. 
Also, I started out on an Indian when I was 4 years old, grew up riding bikes.  Just sold and 01 Buell Blast 500 that I rode for 3 years.  I like the single cylinder "thump" and the clunky shift.  Hey that set me up perfect for the Royal Enfield....

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:37 pm
  Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to following your progress, do you think you will have any problem getting the bike registered?
  I've done the motorcycle by mail thing also, A friend mailed his dirt bikes from Japan  to my address in Hawaii where I stored them until he arrived.  The mail man wasn't too happy..  At least I didn't have to put them together.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

comp3d

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:16:30 pm
Thanks for the friendly reception.  I really don't think I will have a problem with the tax office.  The first reason is I have known the commissioner for years.  If I walk in with a bill of sale and money in my hand I should walk out with a "antique" tag with no problem.  We'll see...    It is a fun but almost overwhelming process to import a bike that has been completely disassembled.  A friend of mine works in a Dyno shop for an NHRA V-Twin bike racer.  He wants to do some polishing and such... That should help some.  It will probably be later in the week before I get to do much to it.  Next weekend should give me some time to work also. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:44:14 pm
Since it is a 500 it will have been made in the 1990's or early 2,000's since they didn't make them before that. In the late 1990's or early 2,000's Royal Enfielid sold a bunch of 500'd to Iraq under a world bank deal. I belive that they were for the mail service. They all came with sidecars. Since Royal Enfield did not make sidecars I hooked them up with Cozy. We get quite a few orders from GI's in Iraq who have picked these bikes up. A VIN number will get you the data you will need to buy parts.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

comp3d

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:08 am
I don't know the vin yet.  I'll email my buddy tomorrow and see if he can get it for me.  I did get this number off of the tranny.  It is a rh shift with the following numbers on it:
1H1587.  I really can't make the numbers out on the engine.  It looks like: R6QA84  I'm not sure if that is a Q or something else... maybe that will help narrow it down. 

comp3d

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:18 pm
Kevin - I searched on the site but didn't see where I could id the bike with the vin.
It is:  1B511893L 

comp3d

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:23:33 am
Kevin - Unfortunately you were dead on.  It is a 2001.  I thought my buddy knew the bikes well enough to know.  I don't know whether to part it out or try to get it together and ride it for awhile.  Any suggestions?

comp3d

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 04:30:28 am
I have been assembling the engine and bolted the tranny up tonight.  It is looking pretty good.  I polished most of the carbon build up off of the piston.  I need to order a set of rings and some gaskets.