Author Topic: Everything is fine  (Read 5242 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
on: July 27, 2008, 04:12:18 am
My Bullet turned 1000 miles today.  Has never leaked oil from the engine, trans or primary or anywhere else.  Never wet sumped.  Doesn't consume oil.  Makes no noises that make me curious.  Starts instantly.  Shifts perfectly.  Nothing has loosened up or fell off.  Plug reads fine.  All electrical stuff has worked as expected.  My dealer has been great.  Handles twisty roads like it was on rails.  Doesn't ping or stutter.  The clutch is flawless in function.  This bike has zero bad habits.   

Got to admit that I inspect my ride, whichever one, before fireing it up.  Also, break-in is an important subject to me.  The above is what I expected and received from the Bullet.  Rode BSA thumpers in the 50s and 60s.  This machine, although largely retaining the same vintage technology, is superior to them. 
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:28:28 am
  Good for you! Sounds like a definite keeper! My 2007 Classic is too. Though I do miss some shifts, and I always shift into neutral before coming to a stop (to save the clutch).I'm not quite at 1000 miles yet. I call mine "One Kick". Usually starts cold with one-even after sitting for three weeks. And is getting 80 miles per US gallon too! No leaks either.Looks fantastic, and is fun to ride. I fully intend to keep it a 50 mph (tops) machine and enjoy the back roads.
    Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LJRead

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:33:08 am
That's sure good to hear, Old Salt.  Mine now has about half what your's does, but I'm reaching the conclusion that the more I leave it just as it left the factory, the better off I'll be.  Tried a few things, like seeing how it ran without the air filter (opened her up) but then found some other problems like carb backfiring, smoke coming from the air filter box, etc.  So today back to stock and I plan to leave it at that.  May do some cosmetic things, as I really like the black engine and black striped rims of the Black Shadow, but the rest I will leave be.

By the way, did you get the machine ready for the salt runs?  Also, do you ride the knuckle much or is that a show bike. 

Thanks for the post,

LJ

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:24:56 pm
And I also can add to the "No problem" line up.
Other than adjusting the valves, primary chain and the clutch at the trany (which didn't really need it)  oh and the drive chain once in 3600 mile since April, I've just spent a lot of time looking at the bike. Can't find anything wrong. Mileage runs between 80 and 89 mpg. Darned ole bike!  ;D Just to add it's a '08 AVL in the fastest color RG.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:27:23 pm by PhilJ »

deejay

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:42:48 pm
Wow, talk about the ultimate "Jinx Yourself Thread". I suggest knocking on some wood asap.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:00:58 pm
My '06 Sixty-5 is coming up on 3000 miles.  After some major dealer fixed problems within 300 miles - I ditto Oldsalt.

I only had to have a rear muffler bracket welded.

BTW - mine is bone stock except for a sidestand.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 08:19:27 pm
Excellent!  I'm just over 1500 and the loose speedometer cable is all I've had.  Of course I have asked many more questions just because from the way some people talk, I'm going to walk out in the driveway and find two flat tires and a rod through the block one morning LOL.   SO far so good!
Fir Na Dli

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:07 pm
Ditto me at > 4600 miles on my 2006 Electra X. Other than one warranty claim it's been thumpthin' else to ride!

buckeye rider

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:22:12 pm
9200 miles and counting on my 2000 classic.Oh'I've had a few minor troubles,cracked fender brace,rubber intakes leaking and 1 clutch cable broke.But,I've aways made it home.

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:02:18 am
That's sure good to hear, Old Salt.  Mine now has about half what your's does, but I'm reaching the conclusion that the more I leave it just as it left the factory, the better off I'll be.  Tried a few things, like seeing how it ran without the air filter (opened her up) but then found some other problems like carb backfiring, smoke coming from the air filter box, etc.  So today back to stock and I plan to leave it at that.  May do some cosmetic things, as I really like the black engine and black striped rims of the Black Shadow, but the rest I will leave be.

By the way, did you get the machine ready for the salt runs?  Also, do you ride the knuckle much or is that a show bike. 

Thanks for the post,

LJ

The 41 knuckle is an everyday machine.  But the Bullet is so much easier to start and ride that it usuall gets the nod over the other machines. 

The land speed car is almost ready for Bonneville.  Finally got the engine builder to finsh the dyno pulls.  Engine and both the  transmissions went in yesterday.  Look closely at my avatar...you will see that the big tach on the dyno consol has it's needle at 8 grand.  That's rough on a 500 inch gas engine with 16 to 1 compression.

My Bullet has a lot of modifications.  Upswept megaphone muffler, baffle removed from header pipe, home built air cleaner, coil and horn in tool box, battery moved to central position, small mirrors and turn signals installed, bars moved, foot pegs moved 2-1/2" back, kickstarter moved in by chopping and re-plateing, all unnecessary electrical connections disconnected [neutral light and etc.], air scoop added to front brake, main jet drilled out, homemade sidestand, centerstand removed, plus a few other things. 

I don't modify things to get better performance.  Just want it to look more "retro".  I love to ride the thumper and stay within the limits of what it was designed for.  Can't see any reason to run ANY 500 cc single wide open in the heat of the day.  This bike will last me a long time.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

LJRead

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:52 am
I'm interested in the air filter you rigged up.  Have you already posted something on that?  Any details will be much appreciated.

That engine you're working on sounds a little like a keg of dynamite ready to blow.  Must take nerve or else confidence to take it up to that rpm.  Good luck with it.

LJ

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:56:33 am
Wanted to add to this thread that after initial teething problems I have had nothing in the way of trouble to speak of. My Deluxe, 2007, has been an entirely reliable machine. I give it a checkover adjust a little as needed and that is it. I do not even think about there being a problem anymore. JINX! Ha Ha!

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:50:42 am
I'm interested in the air filter you rigged up.  Have you already posted something on that?  Any details will be much appreciated.

That engine you're working on sounds a little like a keg of dynamite ready to blow.  Must take nerve or else confidence to take it up to that rpm.  Good luck with it.

LJ

The air filter was turned from a couple of hunks of aluminum.  Spacers are used to establish the distance between the two pieces.  Mesh screen is used to hold the form of the filter media wrapped around it.  The foam filter material was originally intended for making racing 2-stroke motorcycle filters.  Two 3/8" thick layers were used.  The foam was oiled with motorcycle filter oil.  Hopefully I was able to get a picture attached. 

Regarding the land speed engine, I refuse to drive the car mostly because I don't have the nerve.  As for confidence in the engine: There are 4 nozzles that will discharge 10 pounds of fire retardent under the headers if or when it blows.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

LJRead

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:53 am
Reason I asked is that I set out the other day to make an air filter as I couldn't see that there was that much to it.  Mine will be buried in the side case so doesn't need to look that nice, as long as it is well made and functional  I've been pondering different filter materials and so far have come up with a double layer of Scotch Brite pads which fit the round cap i plan to use.  Between this I would sandwich some gauze pads with an oil saturation.  The thing is, I don't have 40 years of mechanical engineering experience to fall back on, so my confidence level isn't that high, but seeing yours gives me hope.

Your engine really looks nice. 

I'll bet that engine really has a high pitched whine when wound up that high.

LJ

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:56 pm
Mine is rapidly approaching 2500 miles.

My issues this Spring are well documented elsewhere, but they resulted from my misdiagnosing a kick start problem as a bad pawl (pain in the butt repair) instead of an improperly adjusted clutch (simple turn of a screw adjustment). So I really can't count them as a strike against the bike.

The only real prob was my elect start sprag went bad. Since replacing that and the battery, it has worked like magic. Starts with a push of the button or 1 or 2 kicks every time. Idles steady and cruises at 55-60 no prob. I have been riding to the office 3-4 times a week for the past 6 weeks or so and it has worked beautifully.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175