Author Topic: Lean Burn engine dimensions  (Read 6241 times)

Robb

• Scooter
on: July 27, 2007, 04:22:04 pm
Is the Lean Burn engine dimensionally the same as the Iron Lunger?  Could you swap a new engine into a classic framed bike like the '65 or a 500es?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:38:15 pm
NO and Yes
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:55:12 pm
NO and Yes

Ok.  Could I swap a Lean Burn into a 1963 Continental GT? ;D

One more Q while I have you on the line, Mr. Mahoney, will the alloy top yoke fit on an Electra?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:05:41 pm by Robb »

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:52:00 pm
OK you got me, I am going to have to cry Uncle here, I have no idea if it will fit into an old Continental, but maybe someone following the Vintage forum here may.

The alloy head piece or nacelle will fit an Electra
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:24 pm
So, to carry on this vein somewhat.  Fitting a lean burn into my bullet is doable..  hows about the 5 speed, is that.  I understand that the ES will not fit, because of frame limitations.. ??
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:21:23 am
OK you got me, I am going to have to cry Uncle here, I have no idea if it will fit into an old Continental, but maybe someone following the Vintage forum here may.

The alloy head piece or nacelle will fit an Electra

No worries.  I've just been looking at some vintage Enfields for sale and came across a Continental with a stuck engine.  No way to tell if it can be rebuilt, so I was kind of wondering if a modern engine might be made to fit the frame without having to hack it up.  Only one way to find out, really.  I'll have to procure the old bike, then try to stuff the modern engine in.  Sounds like a good winter project....

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:48:33 am
I have two Continental basket cases in my basement. One was a 4 speed and one was a 5 speed. Maybe one of these days I'll take a close look.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:51:14 am
I've got a feeling the original question will become a moot point. When RE came out with the 5-speed in the Sixty-5, they soon began using the same setup in the classic models. I think when the old engine is phased out, they will start putting the AVL in their other bikes in order to keep their customers happy. I only hope that they start using a black powder-coated barrel. That would please the purists and maintain the proper look.

prof_stack

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 02:59:24 am
I've got a feeling the original question will become a moot point. When RE came out with the 5-speed in the Sixty-5, they soon began using the same setup in the classic models. I think when the old engine is phased out, they will start putting the AVL in their other bikes in order to keep their customers happy. I only hope that they start using a black powder-coated barrel. That would please the purists and maintain the proper look.
I bet RE went around and around on the use of the black barrel versus the aluminum look.  Getting closer to buying one, I like the new look.  But getting the "old guard" to accept change is always a difficult challenge.  Where do you think RE plans to be in 5 years? 

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 12:02:25 am
Where do I think RE will be in five years? Not a clue, but I hope they continue to take things slow like they have been. The worst thing they could do is to try to copy the Japanese by changing models every year. I bought an RE becuase it still looked like a real motorcycle. If they abandon the 50s/60s styling cues I will be forced to restore an old bike instead of buying a new RE. From what I've heard, they will try to retain a true historical look in the new unit bike. I hope so.