Author Topic: Is the Enfield suited to fairly long distances?  (Read 11897 times)

isitututu

• Scooter
on: August 06, 2007, 05:36:02 am
I am considering buying an Enfield, however it would be used for a fairly long commute on a weekly basis (about 200 miles each way per week). Is this a bike that is comfortable enough for a distance like that and can it do a long stretch like that at 70 mph?

The other contenders are a Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki C50, or Yamaha Vstar, all smaller cruisers. I love the Enfields classic styling though.

Also is this a fairly reliable bike or is it a Sunday outing vintage kinda bike? Would hate to break down half way.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:17:40 pm
> I am considering buying an Enfield, however it would be used for a fairly long commute on a weekly basis (about 200 miles each way per week). Is this a bike that is comfortable enough for a distance like that and can it do a long stretch like that at 70 mph?

No.

> The other contenders are a Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki C50, or Yamaha Vstar, all smaller cruisers. I love the Enfields classic styling though.

These are better suited to 200 mile interstate travel.

> Also is this a fairly reliable bike or is it a Sunday outing vintage kinda bike? Would hate to break down half way.

The Electra X is far more than a Sunday vintage ride. It can do interstate travel (although not 200 miles at 70mph) and will reward the owner with reliable riding as long as it is consistently and carefully maintained. You have to work within the bike's design parameters.

Matt

gapl53

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 04:26:57 pm
I believe he means 200 miles round trip total for the week, which works out to about 20 miles each trip.
My Electra will make that with no problem. I believe a stock one will also, once it's broken correctly.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:03:49 pm
I would not hesitate to use my bike for that distance, if I needed to.  On a few occasions, I have just jumped on, and ridden all day - on one occasion I rode 250 miles, with no problems, no overheating, no brake fade, no wobbles, no strange sounds, nor any effects noticed the next day. Nothing happened, except the odometer registered 250 miles more. I wasn't uncomfortable either.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

isitututu

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:35:08 pm
I believe he means 200 miles round trip total for the week, which works out to about 20 miles each trip.

Nope, Matt was right, I would use it 200 miles each direction once a week.

Thanks for all the feedback

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:58:41 am
I would not hesitate to ride 200 miles in one sitting, but I would stick to secondary roads where people normally ride 45 to 65 mph. Not many people with bigger bikes spend time on the interstate either.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:56:18 pm
I am considering an Enfield & the trip to Hot Springs in about 220 mjiles. We like going there & I want to be able to take bikes. The PLAN is, Suzuki 650 for the sidecar, since it can run faster than the Enfield hauling a sidecar. An Enfield & the Guzzi, all rolling together. Now, with the Suzuki pulling a sidecar, I expect 60 to 65 will be max that won'y gut it. So, with the Enfield run 60 & 65 200 + miles? Would it run 60 & 65 all day & not be injured? The rider would be less than 150 pounds & not all that much gear strapped on it.

isitututu

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:57:40 pm
I would agree with that, except that this would be a commute so I would want to get home as fast as possible, with the most direct route. Also this would be a weekly route so I would be riding 15000 miles plus per year. Is the Enfield up to this?

I have a new job offer in a different city and my family can't move right now due to kids being at school. I am looking to buy a bike primarily because I like riding, but also because it will be much cheaper to run. I have a few other "classic" bikes at the moment, but none of them would be reliable enough.

gapl53

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:48:21 pm

Nope, Matt was right, I would use it 200 miles each direction once a week.

Thanks for all the feedback
That's got to be a drag of a Monday morning commute!

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:49 pm
Two weekends ago I did a two day 530 mile road trip, all back roads, averaging around 48 to 58 mph.  The bike did great and very comfortable with the solo saddle.  I experienced an oil leak out of this black tube under the seat, and a gas leak at the carburator.  Fixed the gas leak with a hammer and the oil leak by slowing down a little and letting the bike rest awhile.

My Electra is worth it, but it does require a little more maintenance than some bikes.  Notice I said "some bikes". 

Terry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:42:18 pm by TRider »

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 11:18:00 pm
More attention than what? Did you have a Bullet before? Since I am still pounding my brain trying to decide which I want, I thought I would ask.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 02:03:47 am
even though it's done I don't consider the Enfield a 2 up ride...and you add a sidecar, I would thing one woud have to change the sprokets for pulling power..  I really don't know, as this is the first Enfield I have ever had after 31 years of BMW's with the last few having ABS braking.

The reason I chose the Electra wasthe front disc brak,  the alloy engine, higher top speed and better gas milage.. the gas milage part was what got me to buy as I don't take long trips anymore..  and  my sports touring  BMW just sat in the garage.

The first day I drove it to work an old fellow, older than me, pulled up on his Honda scooter to talk to me..when he was a young man in the 50's he bought a 250 or 350  RE, I forget , from the local bicycle shop that sold Mustangs and Cushmans.. He said he rode it all the way down to Mississippi from here in western KY.

Alas, there is no Enfield dealership here anymore,  though I would like to have one.

I can't really see a whole lot that can go wrong with which ever machine you choose.. with tightening emmision control , the others might get phased out of the states, though I hope not,,

later, later

scotty

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:15 pm
More attention than what? Did you have a Bullet before? Since I am still pounding my brain trying to decide which I want, I thought I would ask.

Justin,
"More attention than what? Did you have a Bullet before?"  Nope, no prior Bullet.  This is my first experience with an Enfield.  There is no doubt at all, the Bullet Electra requires more attention.  I've owned BMW F650s (2), Suzukis, Yamahas, and Kaw Ninjas.  Only the BMWs were a little touchy feely, the others were just oil the chain, check the tires and oil, and ride ride ride.  All perfect mechanical bikes.

The few problems I am experiencing with the Elelctra all seem minor, all fixable, I can deal with them hopefully.  Bike stalls sometimes, not all the time.  I've had to adjust clutch cable on serveral occasions, oil leak out of some blow tube under seat, carb leaks gas.  The oil blowing out the tube and carb gas leak are all being fixed now.  I don't really "trust" the bike yet, but it is growing on me rapidly.  I like the handling of the bike as good as any bike I have ever owned.  I love the looks of the Electra, it gets more attention at rival dealerships than the bikes they sell.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, loves the looks of the Enfield.  Some go absolutly ape.  Its amazing.  All kind of old "mom and pop" stories too.   Great gas mileage.  Everything on the bike can be fixed by you or any jack leg mechanic.  Its all right in front of you.  Try changing a spark plug on a BMW 650 CS.  2 hour major job.  Maybe 5 to 10 min on the Enfield.
Good Luck!
Terry

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 04:03:53 pm
I have put 4000 miles on my Electra in four months and the only thing I have done in addition to the things you do on all bikes is adjust the valves. It takes less time than an oil change. Like any bike, you have to watch your oil level, check the chain, air up the tires, etc., but I just don't understand comments that REs take such an auful lot of maintenance. Granted, it has been a few years since I have owner a Jap bike, but I used to work on my Suzuki X6 and Honda 305 more than I do the Electra. I even had to fiddle more with my Suzuki GS550.

As far as long rides go, I seldom ride less than 100 miles at a time. I just can't seem to get off the bike sooner than that. With a performance kit and 19-tooth sprocket, 65-75 on the freeway isn't much of a problem.

The trick to extended interstate travel on an RE is to find a knot of traffic travelling at about 65 (not too hard), and just tuck in behind them.

gapl53

Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:20:37 pm
Two weekends ago I did a two day 530 mile road trip, all back roads, averaging around 48 to 58 mph.  The bike did great and very comfortable with the solo saddle.  I experienced an oil leak out of this black tube under the seat, and a gas leak at the carburetor.  Fixed the gas leak with a hammer and the oil leak by slowing down a little and letting the bike rest awhile.

My Electra is worth it, but it does require more attention, lots more attention.

Terry

They are just quirky,just like all British based bikes. Once I got the quirks out of mine, I just run it, do the recommended maintenance and ride it.