Author Topic: Premium cables  (Read 1851 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: July 26, 2008, 05:37:01 am
In early spring I almost didn't go on a ride because the stock clutch cable snapped right at the ferrule inside the tranny. This is pretty common I guess, luckily I had a spare (stock) cable in my toolbox and was underway in about 45 minutes, including a trip to the restroom of a nearby restaurant to clean up.

I called Vince and ordered up a new "premium" cable which was backordered, but with the god-like help of Vince, arrived on my doorstep the day before my Winthrop trip!

I installed it but found that the narrow neck on the ferrule was too large to fit in the operating arm and I had to file the ferrule to get it to drop into the slot.

After my trip I inspected the cable end by having my wife actuate the clutch lever while I watched the movement at the actuaton arm. The cable still flexes right at the insertion into the ferrule and the squared end of the ferrule does not "rock" on the actuation arm. I feel there is still too much pressure at the cable ferrule joint.

I read here, somewhere, that the factory has an answer to this in a new style actuation arm. Is this since 2006?

And why should I need to file away metal on a new "premium" cable to get it to fit?

-Jesse, also posted this in the Classic Bullet section.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.