Author Topic: new grommet kit installation  (Read 2411 times)

mtrue77

• Scooter
on: July 19, 2014, 09:38:47 pm
I needed a couple of those rubber pieces that attach to the front fender, and through which the front brake and speedometer cables pass.  Had to buy a grommet kit with ten items in it.  I figured that putting those fender grommets in would take about 30 seconds.  After about 45 minutes of frustration I gave up.  They don't seem like they're intended to go through those holes. 

I tried to install them as they came out of the bag; I tried lubricating them with salad oil; I tried swearing at them; I tried "be the grommet."  None of that worked (the profanity, least of all).

I tried trimming them a little bit, but I was afraid of cutting too much off.  I'm not going to make the hole any bigger.

Maybe I'll get back to it someday.  In the meantime, the cables are out there flapping in the breeze.

Any of you had any success in that area?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:50:49 am by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:00 pm
If your bike and front fender arrangement looks something like mine (G5), then as an alternative method here is what I have done.

I had made a 'loop' of two 3/4" plastic cable clamps attached with a spacer bought at ACE hardware store and used a plastic screw to attach to front fender for speedometer cable. The pictures show what it looks like on my G5.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:05:16 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:32:38 pm
Very clever.  Thank you for sharing.  Is that plastic tubing around the cable?  What's the purpose of that?
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:20 am
I purchased the same kit for the same reason you stated.
I don't remember any drama installing the fender loop cable gromit.
Must be a different size hole, or something.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:50:53 am
I don't know about the hole size, but the plug that's meant to go through it is definitely thicker and of bigger diameter than the one that came out.  I would believe that the QC on the rubber grommet is less than that on the fender.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:13:48 pm
If your bike and front fender arrangement looks something like mine (G5), then as an alternative method here is what I have done.

I had made a 'loop' of two 3/4" plastic cable clamps attached with a spacer bought at ACE hardware store and used a plastic screw to attach to front fender for speedometer cable. The pictures show what it looks like on my G5.

That is too cool  :)  I'm speechless (almost). I love these kinds of exposed "mechanical" solutions to things that seem to be overly slick & high-tech now; I remember the first time I saw a Ducati exhaust system that was held together by springs & clips.

And the Tygon tubing over the cable is another cool touch even though maybe overkill. I ran my rear end wires thru a piece of tubing to my new "too tiny" 1938 replica tail light.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:43:22 pm
Very clever.  Thank you for sharing.  Is that plastic tubing around the cable?  What's the purpose of that?

The idea was to prevent cable from rubbing paint off fender. The tygon tubing is softer. I have had this home made cable guide for 3 years on my bike.

Edit: At some point in these 3 years, I have taken off the tygon tubing, as it is not as necessary as I had thought initially. The above picture is old.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:40:18 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:31 pm
just following up to close the loop, so to speak.

I sent a complaint via an email to nfieldgear.com.  The purchasing manager followed up by sending me, free of charge, a new set of the brake cable/speedometer cable grommets for the front fender.  They appear to be the same as the ones that were originally on the motorcycle.  I have not tried to install them, yet, but I'm pretty sure that they are just what I needed.  So, I'm back on the side of nfieldgear.com.  Thank you.

one more final note for anyone who's interested:  the nfieldgear.com part number for the correct cable grommets is 142532.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:19:22 pm by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL