Author Topic: Nice Continental Write Up in Motor Cyclist Magazine  (Read 2373 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
In addition to the customary HF Big Red Lift Coupon, The ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL was a feature article in MOTOR CYCLIST MAGAZINE this month. The article tone seemed more empathetic to the purpose & presence of the resurrected mid 60's Continental Café Racer. Continental & the other UCE engine Bullets were mentioned in what seemed a very complimentary way. It finally seems the American motorcycling press is taking Royal Enfield much more seriously than it has in the past. It is about time too.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:04:24 am
I haven't seen the article but it's good to hear they are finally seeing the RE Continental for what it is.

I know it's difficult for them, after years of only writing positive things about all out performance crotch rockets and heavy weight cruisers.

The idea of a good looking, (relatively) light, responsive, fun to ride motorcycle seems to have been lost by them back in the '70's.

Hopefully some of the other writers will begin to find that riding a motorcycle like all of the RE models is enough fun to make up for their lower horsepower and lack of a Sirius Radio. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:01 pm
Craig, is there a link online to read it or do I have to go pick up a copy?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:41 pm
What?!?!?  Americans have endorsed a motorcycle with an engine smaller than 1000cc that weighs less than a ton and doesn't even go 100mph?  Are you sure they don't have some European on staff writing these pieces? ;)

Scott

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:01:48 pm
There's not a bike out there that gets the kind of attention and comments as an RE - any old RE at that - while Americans keep buying the same over-priced, overweight, pre-canned wheels. Why? Because they are afraid of standing out from the crowd. Motorcycles riders afraid of showing independence and character. Someone will have to explain that one to me. smh  :-X
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16:37 am
There's not a bike out there that gets the kind of attention and comments as an RE - any old RE at that - while Americans keep buying the same over-priced, overweight, pre-canned wheels. Why? Because they are afraid of standing out from the crowd. Motorcycles riders afraid of showing independence and character. Someone will have to explain that one to me. smh  :-X

Because most people have to be told what is good looking, cool, or stylish.  How else can we explain the entire fashion industry? Here is an industry that every year tells sheeple what is 'in' this year so they can go buy it!
A small percentage of people know what they like without being told, and dont care about the opinions of others.

On an unrelated note,  this is a funny HD commercial parody: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN2zC8PU

Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:42:49 am
motorcyclist's "verdict" is 4.5 stars out of 5: "a loveable machine but archaic in design and function". substitute a comma for the "but" and they might have gotten it right.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 01:53:46 am
"a loveable machine but archaic in design and function"

Probably describes a lot of us.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:13 am
Craig, is there a link online to read it or do I have to go pick up a copy?
If there is a link I don't know about it. I thought the HF Big Red Lift Coupon would be inducement enough to buy a copy. I filled out a magazine coupon & got a bundled year of MOTORCYCLIST & SPORT RIDER for only $7.95
  MOTORCYCLIST has an appreciation for the history of motorcycling & the staff remembers how much fun the older bikes provided, they Even led the "MotoGiro" Article with a picture of a Bultaco Metralla, which were exact factory replicas of the 250cc Isle of Man winner you could buy - I even had one.
  I find I have more in common with SPORT RIDERS than any other facet of popular motorcycling today. The equipment has certainly changed since I started many years ago, some seems pretty fashion/silly, but there is no denying the performance feats achieved. But like many other things, I find I like motorcycling the way it was, & for that a R.E. G5 Deluxe is just perfect.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:52:40 am
A nice introduction of Continental GT in the Motorcyclist magazine -

"First, the earth cooled, Then, God created an Enfield"   :)

It continues -

They say "A nod to motorcycling's finest hour"
We say "Can't argue with .... Hey ! Wait Up"  ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:00:14 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:15 pm
Yeah, had to stop and go back through the stack of unread magazines and read the article. They were reasonably nice, just kinda focusing on the slow shaky machine! Too bad they didn't mention the 70mpg though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:32:09 pm
Parked today next to a sportster - only the RE got attention? ....with the 535 conversion I also reckon pulling acceleration is on par?

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:38:02 am
Parked today next to a sportster - only the RE got attention? ....with the 535 conversion I also reckon pulling acceleration is on par?
Doubtful for a 535 single to out-accelerate an 883 twin.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

decker

• Bulleteer
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 05:44:00 pm
Doubtful for a 535 single to out-accelerate an 883 twin.

Maybe a 570 pound one! The twin will outshake the Enfield.
Bare
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:46:54 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com