Author Topic: Installing EFI Silencer  (Read 3642 times)

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
on: July 22, 2014, 12:33:06 am
Today I removed the stock silencer and loosened the header pipe, opened the box containing the EFI, three clamps and a short heat shield, attempted to install the EFI. The support piece is too long no matter where I position the new muffler any suggestions on installation procedure?
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

straffordrt

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:11:21 am
Can you post a picture of the support piece fit-up?  Sounds like you may need to drill a new hole if I understand your situation.  Would appreciate if you post a pic of all the parts since I only received the muffler from the dealer, they are in process of re-ordering the kit pieces the I didn't get for me.-- thanks

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:24:27 am
My earlier post I stated that the support strap was too long, it is if the rear mount (pillion footrest) is used, I hope I have gotten over a very bad senior moment, there is also a front mount that I did not remember. One must be tough when getting old or at least be able to laugh at their mistakes. I now need to know what to do about the hook on the header pipe that is used to help hold the stock muffler heat shield on, to straighten or not.

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:36:51 am
The new heat shield is used to cover the mounting tang on the header from the old heat shield and can also cover up the joint between the header and the silencer for a clean look.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:39:37 am
I got the same kit, and it required no drilling.

That little support brace doodad connects the silencer to the rear foot peg (remember your blue loctite or you'll end up like me.) You can angle it however you need to make it fit.

The little heat shield should be positioned on the header pipe under the brake pedal - forward of where the silencer mounts. It should be attached using the wimpier of the three clamps. I don't know if that's where it's supposed to go, but that's where I put mine - mainly so I didn't lose for when I find out where it's actually supposed to go.

The big, beefy clamp should secure the silencer to the header pipe, and should be tightened until you think it's going to burst, and then tightened some more (as was suggested by a former post on the board.) That hook on the header pipe doesn't really do anything anymore.

fin.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:06 am
Royal Stargazer: That little support brace doodad connects the silencer to the rear foot peg (remember your blue loctite or you'll end up like me.) You can angle it however you need to make it fit.

My little support brace doodad included with the EFI is about 1.5" to 2" too long but will work at the front attaching point for the stock muffler. I have a new very large tube of thread locker. Most of the bolts have nyloc nuts which is a very good thing. It also cme with an "O"-ring chain.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:57 am
NField Gearman: The new heat shield is used to cover the mounting tang on the header from the old heat shield and can also cover up the joint between the header and the silencer for a clean look.

I want to keep the tang usable in the event I wish to re-install the stock muffler. What is the best way to address that issue, bend it down or straighten it to fit under the heat shield?

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:04 am
Don't bend it or try to straighten the tang.  That metal its very fragile and will be gone before you realize it. Mind broke off due to vibes, now my stock shield is worm clamped to the pipe.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:51 am
I want to keep the tang usable in the event I wish to re-install the stock muffler. What is the best way to address that issue, bend it down or straighten it to fit under the heat shield?

Just put the shield so it covers the tang and clamp it down to cover it. It'll be waiting for you under the shield if you ever decide to go back to stock.

If you position the shield carefully, you can cover the joint at the same time so it looks clean. If you look at all the installed photos of the more recent silencers I've added to the website, you'll see what I mean.

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:49:50 am
My little support brace doodad included with the EFI is about 1.5" to 2" too long but will work at the front attaching point for the stock muffler.

Huh. They must have made some modifications to the kit between then and now. I remember wondering where to attach that thing, and finding that it wouldn't reach anywhere except the rear foot peg.

Let us know what you think of the new silencer when it's on!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:55:03 am
The supplied bracket shouldn't be connected to the foot-peg. I've never seen a Bullet with a silencer bracket up at the footpeg. Unless you mean the stock muffler connecting point near the foot-peg, beneath the tool-box.

The EFI bracket is supposed to go where the stock muffler's small triangular bracket used to be. Yours might vary, but that's how I connected mine. That's why at the back of the silencer, there is a provision for adjustment to connect the bracket there properly. This is because each Bullet has little variations in its build.

Attach the provided bracket to the EFI silencer, with the bolt provided as seen in the picture, keep it loose for now. Then put the silencer on to the header pipe, match the bracket where the stock muffler's triangular bracket used to be, and re-use the stock M8 Hex bolt. Tighten the clamp first at the header pipe/silencer joint, and then the long M8 bolt, followed by tightening the bracket bolt at the silencer.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:58:34 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:27 am
Mine fit perfectly well using the curved hanger from the OEM silencer.  The new shiny straight bracket resides in my spare parts box...

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:10:32 pm
Mine fit perfectly well using the curved hanger from the OEM silencer.  The new shiny straight bracket resides in my spare parts box...
My EFI muffler also fits using the curved hanger from the OEM silencer on my B5. Check and see if you can use this part. It also looks better than the flat hanger piece.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:31 am
The C5 and B5 have different rear frame structures, and this silencer was designed as a "One size fits all" affair. The most logical and structurally sound place to anchor the silencer brace on MY C5 was the passenger foot rest.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:07 am
Oh holy crap, I'm sorry guys. I meant well, but I fell so hard for the C5 that I completely forgot about the other models...  :-[