Author Topic: Squeaky....clutch....maybe?  (Read 912 times)

medioXcore

• Scooter
on: July 19, 2014, 07:14:28 am
Hey everybody. I was out on my bike this afternoon, heading home from a conference. The ride home was stop and go, bumper to bumper. I mean, I never went more than a block without stopping, and top speed was maybe 20mph. I noticed about halfway home, when I was in the "friction zone", there was a squeak from the left hand side, possible the clutch cable. I couldn't tell if it stopped after clutch was released or not, due to wind noise in my helmet. I believe it came back when I was slowing down, too. But again, wind and road noise blocked most of what I heard. Any ideas of what it is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:41:10 pm
Have you lubed the clutch cable recently?

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:53:16 pm
I have not. It's only got 137 miles on it.
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:07:40 am
I'm not sure what the squeak sounds like and it makes a difference.

Is it a (pull the clutch in) and the sound goes, "squeak", let it out, "squeak", pull it in, "squeak" sort of thing?

Or is it a (pull the clutch lever in and hold it in) and the sound goes, "squeeeeeeeeeeeeak" until you release the clutch.

The first might be just the fact that all of the parts are new and they are getting to know (and wear in to) each other.

The second continuous squeak might be the ball bearing that is in the clutch release system.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:11:59 am
It is, or was, a series of squeaks when the clutch was pulled in. While riding it this morning, in free flowing traffic and 70* weather, the squeaks were gone. So, maybe it was just parts getting used to each other. 
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis