Author Topic: Hello from Cumbria, England  (Read 1831 times)

chunky

• Scooter
on: July 18, 2014, 08:37:49 pm
Hi guys, after 37yrs of riding I have just bought my first Enfield.
She is a 2008 and has had the carb and pipe changed already.
I have heard all sorts of things about the starter sprag and wondered if anyone can tell me the correct starting/stopping procedure for these bikes as I do not have an owners manual.
Should I be stopping it with the decompressor or the key?
We're all doomed!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:54 pm
In order to help save the sprag, using the valve lifter decomp when you turn off the key, until the engine stops rotating, is a common strategy.

In actual fact, it is very hard to avoid damage to the sprag entirely, since it can be damaged with any stalling or kickback activity too.
We just try to do what we can.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 04:32:33 pm
Hey chunky,
Welcome aboard... great looking Bullet.  Always liked that color.  Engine looks clean too and I bet that pipe sounds great.

I've had the same machine, just a 2007, for over 5 years and I've used the decomp, like Ace recommended, every time I shut it down.  No problems with the sprag yet.

I almost exclusively kick-start as my e-start is pretty terrible.  I only use it if I happen to stall in traffic, but it's only reliable if the battery is at maximum charge.  If it's sat for a while, sometimes I will use the decomp and give it a few kicks to clear things out before kick-starting, but if you kick to start and use that decomp lever to shut down you should be good to go.

Let us know if you need the kick procedure for these beasts.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:41 pm
Hi,

a belated welcome from your own side of the pond, though down the map a bit. A really healthy battery makes all the difference for the E/Start. Never did get the hang of/like the original valve lifter, which I removed ages ago, so we'll see if my sprag clutch survives the 16,000 mile mark (coming up soon).

Adrian
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Oldbikergit

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:18 pm
Hi Chunky I'm a newbie like you and live not far. I always kickstart mine 1st thing. I make sure the piston is just over TDC on compression using the decompressor then followed by a good kick. Don't forget choke. I always stop the bike with the decompressor. I use the electric start only when the engine is warm. Had no problems in over two years with the bike. I've only replaced 3 sprag clutches!  ;D

chunky

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:15 pm
Thanks for the welcome guys and the info on stopping the beast with the decompressor!
Oldbikergit, why have you had to replace 3 spray clutches!
We're all doomed!

Oldbikergit

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:33 pm
Hi Chunky,
Twice from stalling at the lights (very embarrassing). the other time, lack of concentration when starting on the button 1st thing. The last time, I repaired it by using the previous naff sprag, by carefully rearranging correctly the 19 little Colletts and packing them with heavy multi purpose grease. Then before installing made sure it turns the correct way and grips the other. I think I'm a bit of an expert now. I also installed the green TCI unit last year and recently I've fitted a 2 degree retarded woodruff key (for delayed sparking) along with the 32mm Amal carb, exhaust pipe to suit and ditched the PAV unit. Also fitted a 19T gearbox sprocket. I've added a few more BHP by doing this.
All the best from an old biker git. AKA Ray.  :)

Oldbikergit

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:39 pm
Hi Chunky/Steve, This is a pic of me and my Electra X last year. I've put a different screen on since with led lights. Will show a pic of the Thunderbird when ready.
Ray just an oldbikergit.