Author Topic: New Speedo question  (Read 25601 times)

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #75 on: January 20, 2018, 05:07:03 pm
Good call there Fragman; I use a product called Nano-tech on the marine stuff, it bonds to the surface and saves all sorts of corrosion problems. i did notice with these connectors that it actually clamps down on the bare wire, a little lube will probably do it good.
Viewing the world, one thump at a time...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:42 am
well I decided today was as good as any day to fit it

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:35 am
might go a bit bigger in size so you can all see it

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #78 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:06 am
The speedo looks fine wildbill, but the mil guage looks like a shyte version of this face :(.

I'm gonna gong the mil guage on my one and install a proper oil gauge & fit the
mil lights into the casquette using these wee buggers to get 'er right fer me. ;)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:15 am
yeah I could only get a black face of this speedometer off the supplier. I would have preferred white BUT I was lured in by the fact that this unit has wired in left and right indicators and high beam......so settled for the black regardless.
as to the white smiley face ;D not sure how i'd go moving it about as the ABS is hooked in there too
best thing though I like about this gps speedo say from scratch - once the ignition is turned on ( you can see the gps receiver on the handlebar mount) it does a quick count up on the odometer 1/2/3 and so on and locks on to the satellite within say 20 seconds and then the odo comes on and your ready to roll
after that anytime you turn it on its almost instant. speedo needle is rock steady at all speeds too.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:41 pm
I've been going back over my Koso settings today after not setting a 40mph warning sign off at 42mph showing on the Koso. But I don't know, as I was on my way to work, what speed would set it off. perhaps that's blessing in disguise.

So. I think I need to increase the measurement slightly to be more a little more accurate. I've measured (on the main stand) the radius as roughly 332mm which using the calculator GHG posted earlier in this thread works out roughly 200mm (a 5% give or take) more than what I have it set at now.

How much of a mile will I have lost or gained?

Do I increase the mileage by that 5%?

Or is a 5% difference in circumference well within what a manufacturer would factor in anyway regardless?

My brain hurts lol.

wildbill, how's that GPS Speedo doing?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:41 am
  It has been a few years since I put that Koso in.  But I found that following the instructions that came with the unit. Using a long tape measure ... like a tailors tape measure...  to mark the valve stem and roll the bike along the tape measure was the most accurate way of doing it.  Mine matches the GPS on my phone doing it this way.

I'm not remember a SPEED light in the Unit ?     There are SHIFT light settings based on RPM and the tacho though.   You can set it up to stay on or flash as I remember.     I set my shift light  a little beyond my peak HP number on my bike ...    But you can set it wherever you like, at red line as an example.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #82 on: April 10, 2018, 10:27:15 am
No point in measuring the tyre circumference on the main stand.
As GHG says chalk a mark on the ground and tyre with normal riding weight on the bike, roll it forward until the mark on the tyre meets the ground then chalk the floor again, measure the distance and work out your settings from there.
I fitted a magnetic pick up speedo (not KOSO) to a GL1200 as the speedo drive in the front wheel wore out, I used 6 magnets and the pick up attached to a brake calliper. Using this method accuracy was inline with GPS monitors so presumably accurate.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 10:01:30 pm
Ah. I see my brain didn't translate the message correctly down to the fingers and keyboard. When I say 'measured on the main stand' what I meant to say was I'd re-measured just the radius out of interest.

I don't think the speed is too far out per se. I bet my mileage is a bit though. First world problems and all that. Perhaps it's time to focus on something else instead lol.

Like those RE softbags for instance.