Author Topic: New bike, new tools?  (Read 1101 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: July 17, 2014, 02:11:12 pm
So I did it, plunked down the change for my brand new C5 military yesterday and am picking it up tomorrow.  I now am wondering what tools do I need to have on the bike and is there anywhere in particular that I should pay special attention (the blue Loctite kind)?  This being my first bike I'm looking for anything helpful here that will keep me from dropping bits off as I ride.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:01 pm
for starters get yourself a better spark plug . apart from that do what i did 2 plus years ago. go back 30 or 40 pages and read new bike threads. in fact it was that interesting i started from the end page and worked my way back to the start.
after a few pages you will start to get the idea on what useful info this forum holds.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:28:50 pm
for starters get yourself a better spark plug . apart from that do what i did 2 plus years ago. go back 30 or 40 pages and read new bike threads. in fact it was that interesting i started from the end page and worked my way back to the start.
after a few pages you will start to get the idea on what useful info this forum holds.

He may not need a new plug. Mine came with an NGK already installed.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:05 pm
He may not need a new plug. Mine came with an NGK already installed.

The bikes from factory are equipped with the Bosch WD7DDC4 spark plug. Some dealers may swap it for the NGK during initial prep of the bike. But most don't.

Regarding the tools - I have mostly relied on the existing tool-kit that comes with the bike for minor stuff. It fits in the LH toolbox (where the fuses are located) and should always be kept there. However, if you are servicing the bike yourself, you'll need a whole set of spanners, wrenches, sockets and the like - which I'm sure you'll have. For chain adjustment, you will need to get a 30mm hex socket for the main axle nut. And a 19mm socket for the brake anchor nut. Similarly, for oil changes, you will need appropriate sockets for the M6 bolts. Clutch free-play adjustment can be done easily with standard set of spanners.

After riding the bike home, go over as many nuts and bolts you can see on the bike. Check for tightness. Do not loosen any. The header pipe bolts may seem loose, but tighten them to an extent where the flange is flush. Tighten those bolts evenly, if they are loose. Other than that, follow the break-in speeds according to the manual. And do not forget the initial 300mi oil change. That is crucial and should be done at that mark. Do not delay that one. Also check your battery connections - check if they are snug and are not being over-stressed due to excessive bending in the cables. Similarly, check all electrical connections and connectors to see if they are tightly fit with each other in the clips.

Keep the tyre pressure to what it shows in the manual. If you have any other questions, you can always rely on this forum.

Ride safely and enjoy.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:49:40 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:00 pm
In my first 2000 miles, here's what fell off/out of the bike on the road: headlight case screws, heat shield screws, tank neck bolt, battery cover. Loctite everything, otherwise you'll lose it.

I also had a loose electrical connection (in the ground circuit for the fuel system).
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]