Author Topic: headlight burnout  (Read 4463 times)

mtrue77

• Scooter
on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:25 am
So, my headlight lasted for five years.  Then, the low-beam no longer worked.  I bought a new headlight from Pep Boys, and installed it about a month ago.  Everything was OK until this afternoon.  No light, low or high.  I won't get to work on it until the weekend.  Any suggestions, here?  Thank you.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:46:30 am
What brand and size bulb was it?  I bought a Wagner 7" 6024 bulb that lasted 3 days when the filament broke off from the bulb causing it to not light anymore.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:16:12 pm
Actually, I don't know what kind I bought.  I was sorry to read of your misfortune, but also relieved.  I was worried that I had developed an electrical problem.  Maybe I just bought a crappy light bulb.  Or, maybe I have an electrical problem.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:46:46 pm
So, my headlight lasted for five years.  Then, the low-beam no longer worked.  I bought a new headlight from Pep Boys, and installed it about a month ago.  Everything was OK until this afternoon.  No light, low or high.  I won't get to work on it until the weekend.  Any suggestions, here?  Thank you.

If both Hi & Lo went out it might not be the bulb. First thing I would do is check both filaments with jumpers directly to the battery. If they both light you have a wire problem, not a bulb problem. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:27 am
As of right now, I'm thinking that the problem is more likely headlight failure than wiring problem.  When I shake the old headlight, I can hear little pieces tinkling around in there.  I'm guessing those are residual bits of the filaments.  The new one I haven't checked yet, but I know the low beam went before the high beam (if only a few miles before).  The headlight is about 5-1/2" in diameter, and the old one has "MOTORCYCLE" molded into the lens.  The new one, same size, does not.  I've been trying to find information on the internet.  With vibration perhaps being more of a problem, are motorcycle headlights meant to be a little more robust than car headlights?  The new headlight that had a short life is just something I bought for $10 or $12 (I think) at Pep Boys.  Is there an LED alternative?
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:18 am
I've had good luck with the Sylvania bulbs.  No premature deaths with that brand.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:55 am
I've had good luck with the Sylvania bulbs.  No premature deaths with that brand.

+1.  Good bulbs; several years and counting
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 01:54:09 pm
I went to Advance Auto Parts with my original headlight in hand, and bought a 5-3/4" sealed beam headlight.  Sylvania H5006.  The guy behind the counter shrugged his shoulders, and said, "Yeah, they're the same."  $14.  Then, I went up the street to AutoZone.  I asked if there is any difference between motorcycle headlights and car headlights.  The guy there said, "No."  I showed him my old light, and he matched it up with a Sylvania H5006.  I bought it.  $16.  Doesn't hurt to have a spare.
Then, I went by my local motorcycle repair shop.  I had noticed, of course, that the original light has "MOTORCYCLE" molded into the lens.  I figure there's a reason for that.  So, I asked Kenny if there's a difference in the construction of car headlights and motorcycle headlights.  I think the motorcycle headlights must be a little more robust to withstand vibration.  He agreed.  Unfortunately, he doesn't stock 5-3/4" motorcycle headlights.  He told me that he could order a conversion kit for me so I could use those H4 replacement bulbs, but he seemed reluctant to give me an idea of how much that might cost.
When I installed one of the new headlights, I noticed that there are three or four nubs on the back of the perimeter of the lens.  Presumably, these are to ensure proper orientation.  The original light has only one alignment nub, and the housing has only one indentation to accept that nub.
I really didn't think that getting the right bulb would require such a process.  I can't even find the right light on the Internet.  So, I've got one of the new H5006's installed.  It's just not properly seated in the housing, and so it's probably pointed a couple degrees off center.
Another thing that has surprised me is the difficulty in finding an LED-filled headlight on the Internet.  I mean, it is 2014.  I would think a 5-3/4" low-amp LED sealed beam headlight, with the same little nub on the back would be easily found.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:05 pm
I honestly have never heard of a "motorcycle" bulb before and I've been riding for over 20 years.  Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've never heard of them.  Does your headlight ring have a "fork" tab to hold the bulb in place with "W" spring clips?

As far as LED round bulbs they don't exist as of yet.  But I am in the works of picking up a composite headlight housing to use a H4 LED bulb.  Not sure if I can get 5 3/4" composite or not.

Scottie J

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:31:08 pm
I'm probably older than you, but I've only been riding for five years (and only in nice weather).   
Here are photos of my headlight, front and back.  No W-clips.  The headlight just sits in the housing, held in place by the chrome bezel.  On the picture of the back of the headlight, you can see the single nub next to my thumb.  That fits into an indentation in the housing, and it orients the headlight properly.
Just for info, my dealer (L&L Classic Cycle in Hubbard, OH) has long since converted his headlight to 7-inch, and uses an LED-filled, low-amp headlight.  Rather expensive, so I won't be making the conversion in the near future.  But, it's available.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:10:22 pm
I went to Advance Auto Parts with my original headlight in hand, and bought a 5-3/4" sealed beam headlight.  Sylvania H5006.    The guy behind the counter shrugged his shoulders, and said, "Yeah, they're the same."  $14. 

Then, I went up the street to AutoZone.  I asked if there is any difference between motorcycle headlights and car headlights.  The guy there said, "No."  I showed him my old light, and he matched it up with a Sylvania H5006 .

Sylvania H5006 standard or xtravision though correct in size BUT they do not match the high/low beam filament wattage.

OEM Wagner 4467 bulb has 50/35W for hi/low beams (photo below) as compared to Sylvania 5006's 35/35W - that does not change in intensity at high beam (link below). Check the the box of Sylvania for this information. It is printed in very small letters.

If you do not use high beam much or at all, it may not make any difference.

Advance Auto Parts link for Sylvania with this information -

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sylvania-xtravision-sealed-beam-h5006-xv/99997958-P#fragment-2

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:19:04 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:47:37 pm
Singhg5,
Thank you very much.  As luck and timing would have it, I just returned from a local Honda shop.  The guy there found that very headlight "in a box in the back."  Wagner 4467.  Perfect.  $14.  I bought it, and will install it today.  Now, I've got $30 of headlights I don't really need.  Lesson learned.  At the Honda shop, the guy brought the Wagner 4467 up on the computer, and, no big surprise, he was directed to this forum and an earlier post by someone named Riff Raff. 
Thanks, everyone, for your input.   Problem solved.

looks like it's available through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CandlePower-Halogen-Sealed-Beam-Headlight/dp/B005DUMOKG#productDetails
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:01:16 pm by mtrue77 »
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL