Author Topic: Naked Oil Lines Exposed  (Read 2079 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: July 16, 2014, 10:00:32 pm
      I finally did it.

Spent a couple hours today with a Scotch Brite disk & then sheet Scotch Brite. Wish I had done it long ago. You could put a high shine on these lines with a cloth wheel & some rouge, but I like the look just fine.

Be especially careful with the lower banjo bolt. I had to carefully re-bend & tweak the copper tube a hair this way then that way to line those fine threads up perfectly. It would be Very easy to cross-thread this bolt & wipe out the threads. It should go in by fingers most of the way.  And put the lower banjo bolt in loose first, then the two upper ones.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:51 am
Looks great!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:20 am
Very nice!  Thanks for the idea!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:43:26 am
Those oil lines look cool.
An old product called Never Dull could shine the copper to look spanking clean.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:51 pm
Nice!  Nevr Dul is good stuff.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:47 pm
This looks really nice. So just scrub-scrub-scrub with those pads until the paint comes off? 

I'm not sure how or when but my oil lines are off center.  I'm nervous to try and bend them back - I have no idea how fragile they are.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:34:17 pm
If you ride enough, eventually those external lines will break from metal fatigue of vibrations and being moved around by the wind at speed. Eventually, they will crack.

We have found that if you cut the line at an inconspicuous location, like down at the timing cover area, you can clamp in a short piece of rubber hose to take up the movement and damp vibrations.
Home of the Fireball 535 !