Author Topic: first multiple day road trip  (Read 2935 times)

ieatmodestmouse

• Scooter
on: July 09, 2014, 07:39:23 pm
Next month I'm taking my RE on a trip from MI to TN.
Can anyone think of anything that I will need for the trip? This will be my first big moto trip!
Looking for tips, pointers, advice, etc!!

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:41:19 pm
  Bring cell phone, credit card and have roadside service (AMA, AAA) that will take care of your peace of mind.  Go slow, stop often, answer questions.  Anything else you bring in the way of spares or tools is just personal choice.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:14 pm
Ride the routes that used to be the main roads but now have been replaced by the superslabs.  Not only will the traffic be lighter and the speeds slower but the scenery is better.

Plan each of your destinations so they can be easily reached in a days worth of easy riding.  That will give you time to stop and smell the roses and check out the interesting things you never expected to see along the way.

You will also arrive at your stops feeling good rather than feeling beat.

When I first rode a long trip I made the mistake of trying to go too far each day.

That left me really burned out by the time I got to my next overnight stop.  :(

Not good when your thinking of how far you have to ride when you should be watching the road for sand, gravel, water, oil and wildlife and watching out for idiot cage drivers.

Make a note of the Royal Enfield Dealers locations in the States you will be riding thru.
They probably won't be needed but if they are it's good to know.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/locator/dealers/usa/start

Enjoy the ride.  :) 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:24 am
I've done a fair amount of long distance riding on my Enfield and had a fair amount of trouble -- only some of which was due to my newbie status. You can look me up on the forum if you want to know details.

Now that I know the bike fairly well, I carry a sizable tool pouch on long rides. (It's about the size of a shoe, and I tuck it in my saddlebag. It's not that I want to have to use it, but it's turned out to be helpful.

Here's what's in it, in order of importance:

Electrical tape
Loctite
Several cable ties
Regular Phillips screwdriver
3/8" ratchet set 8mm to 17mm
Long socket that fits spark plugs (13/16" I think but don't quote me)
Combination wrenches 8mm to 17mm (with doubles of 13mm and 14mm)
Spare spark plug

If I were going for more than 48 hours I'd probably take spare tank bolts/nuts too, since mine have wiggled off.

I've found that my effective speed, including stops, is about 40mph. I try to go faster but it never really happens. So now I plan my range based on that.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:08:42 am
you can always find basic tools, get a spare clutch and throttle cable and keep them in one of the side boxes...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:23 pm
a master link
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ieatmodestmouse

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:11 pm
thanks guys! all very helpful...
excited for a new journey!
and rich...loctite has been my best friend hahah

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:28:32 pm
Take a few feet of mechanics' wire and a few feet of electrical wire. I like to have a few hose clamps with me too. It's amazing what you can fix with wire, hose clamps and duct tape. Wrap some extra bungees on the bike too.

I decided this year that for my next multi-day trip I'm going to pick up some cheap shirts and pants at the Goodwill. That way I can just throw them away instead of packing them back home as dirty laundry. That will free up some storage for whatever keepsakes I may pick up on the way.

I have a cheap bicycle speedo on my Enfield to use as a trip meter so I know when to get gas. It has a readout for average speed and you would be surprised how long you have to travel at 52-54mph to make even a 50mph average. Like Rich Mintz said plan for a 40mph average and you should be happy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:34:23 pm by c1skout »