Author Topic: Might be buying a Classic, but need some advice  (Read 9230 times)

KuroRR

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 03:48:45 am
I checked out the bike today. It looked pretty decent condition.

The idle adjuster lever doesn't seem to work?
It seemed pretty tight to pull, and when I did pull it downward, it didn't increase the RPMs. I'm not quite sure about that?

I also took it for a test ride, I didn't end up taking it on the freeway but it is a very interesting ride. Pretty smooth acceleration, vibrations is not what I'm used to but I really like the thumper feel. The rear view mirror is kind of useless because it vibrated so much that everything in it is blurred.

I looked all over the bike to see how I could repaint, wont be easy. I'll see if I can disassemble the bike and do it piece by piece.

Despite all that, I ended up buying it. I have all the paper work so once I register the vehicle, I'll pick it up on Tuesday. I'll add pictures once I pick it up.

Thanks for all the tips. Looking forward to riding it!  :)

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 03:58:03 am
The lever does little. It seems to raise the idle maybe 50 RPM, and you have to hold it a few seconds before the idle rises.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 05:04:57 am
You can adjust the high dime lever to engage sooner but I have never needed it.  I just blip the throttle when starting once in a while. Once it's running it keeps running.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 05:20:09 am
The lever on the left handlebar activates the "Bi-Starter" which lets a little extra air pass the throttle plate.
The one on my G5 has only been useful when I was starting the engine on cold mornings less than 40 degrees F (4.4 degrees C).

Like Fast Doc mentions it only adds maybe 50 rpm to the idle speed.

By the way, there appears to be a screw and nut on the throttle body right behind the throttle cable pulley.  DO NOT try to adjust that screw to change the idle speed.
If you do you will mess up the calibration of the whole fuel injection system.

The idle speed is adjusted by turning a large brass slotted screw that is accessed thru a large hole on top of the throttle body.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

KuroRR

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 03:59:42 pm
Picked up the bike last night.

So I'm not quite sure how to feel about my purchase.... yet.
I rode it for about 1 hour home, non-freeway, but up to about 55mph. My butt felt kind of numb from the vibrations about half way through.

I'm coming from 6 years of riding supersport bikes up to 1000cc, so I'm very very not used to the lack of power. People were passing me all the time. The speedo looks to be reading proper... The brakes are soft and don't bite as hard as I'm used to and my stopping distance I increased a great deal to be on the safe side.

I read all the reviews and they were all pretty much bang on. But can't help but feel ... I'm not sure the word... unsatisfied? When I look at the bike, it looks amazing, still love the look.

Its only been a day... I'm thinking maybe I need to manage my expectations and give myself time to get adjusted to this different style of riding.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:23 pm
I came off a Monster 800 and for the first week or two I felt like I was riding a moped again. After a bit you should settle in and get used to it.  It's a different experience when you're not trying to apex every corner.  And a pleasantly relaxing one.  Give it some time, it will grow on you ;)

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 05:36:21 pm
KuroRR:  I love my Enfield and look forward to riding it when the chance presents itself...I'm trying to maintain two other bikes as my wife has essentially given up on riding her machine...I don't like operational bikes to sit longer than 2 weeks without a good heat up...I hope you find the pleasure of your classic machine as the long time members here have noted over the course of ownership...That stated, the bike isn't for everyone and it should be evaluated in that manner...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again