Author Topic: Dealer Misinformation???  (Read 1618 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: July 10, 2014, 12:31:18 pm
  :-\  Well, I'm due to pick up my new maroon c5 in a couple of hours, yesterday when I was stocking up on oil filter kits, I was told to change the oil in 3000 miles but NOT to use a synthetic oil to insure engine "break in", uh... my 2002 iron barrel don't have 3000 miles on it yet & I've changed the oil twice already, & I'm the 2nd owner of it.
  So, Really? first oil change @ 3000? can that be right?
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:53:17 pm
It's not right.  Check the owner's manual: 1st oil and filter change, 300 miles...

Not all these guys have the correct information.  And some of them probably have it, but think they know better.  The discussion about whether non-synthetic oil is better for break-in has been going on for... well, probably since the invention of synthetic oil.

Follow the recommended maintenance intervals found in RE's owners and service manuals.

As for their break-in recommendations for the new unit engines, some say that they're too strict, and based on the old iron barrel engine requirements.  There's plenty of those discussions in the archives...

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:02:20 pm
     Here at Vince's Motorcycle Store we change the oil at 300 miles, then again at 600. The latest bikes have had great oil at 600 miles, so I may soon eliminate that service. 3,000 miles is WAAAAAAY too far for a first change.
     Some pure synthetics can inhibit, or even prevent proper break in. It is not much of an issue with the kind of loading a long stroke engine with a heavy piston (Enfields!) generates. However, for most people a pure synthetic is over kill. Also, the properties of a pure synthetic can cause or exacerbate oil leaks. By it's very nature any multi-viscosity oil is a synthetic blend. Just get one from a cycle store that meets the JASO  standard. Specifically stay away from most SAE rated SJ oils, and avoid ANY SL oil. These oils do not have the additives for your transmission and clutch. These oils are designed so late model cars will more easily meet EPA standards. Synthetic or not, they will not properly lubricate the an engine with loose tolerances such as the Enfield, or the transmission or clutch in these unit construction power plants.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:27:33 pm
That's what I was going to say...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:54 pm
As usual Vince is dead on. I agree about skipping the 600 miles service with the UCE. One reason it is important to change the oil at 300-500 and then some reasonable interval is that your dealers has to clean a screen in the sump. It is critical in a new engine.
His advice about oil is also good. I would not use car oil for the very reasons he suggests. Also after hearing the chief engineer of Spectro oils give a candid talk I am no longer much on spending the money for full synthetic oil.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:18 pm
Kevin had a great post on break in speeds which were about what I used to break mine in. I broke mine in before he posted his recommendations. The procedure in the book will having you lugging your engine in 5th gear which is never a good thing. I just marked my throttle at the half way point and rode it in that range. It gave me a top speed at about 55 mph which kept the engine much happier in the upper gears, and the acceleration was adequate for most in town traffic situations.
I changed to Mobil 1 V-Twin oil at the first oil changed and never had any problems with oil what so ever. I may have added a 1/2 pint in 15,000 miles. Not that that was without changes. I changed it at 1000, then dropped into the book recommended cycle of every 3600 miles.
Kevin, I don't know where your breakin post is, would you be kind enough to repost that? It was certainly a lot better than the book procedure!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:01:53 am
The trouble with posts like that is that you have to remember what you said. Let me gather my thoughts. It is a subject that is grossly overthought
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:12 pm
     I've said it before and I'll say it again: EVERY manufacturer pays highly trained and educated engineers to formulate a break in procedure to maximize engine life and minimize customer issues. You won't go wrong to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. You are paying big $$$$ for your bike. If you have so little faith in the abilities of the engineers, why would you even throw a leg over the bike? Just because your 3rd cousin learned how to break in engines from his uncle that used to race, or you read something on the internet, I doesn't mean this info is right. If you can't be bothered to read the book then hand it to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/Mom and have her read it to you.
     I know I sound crabby, and I am. This subject comes up so often that I wrote an article on my website www.vincesmotorcyclestore.com/myths.html#engine
     I have never had an engine failure or a short engine life from following the break in procedure laid out in the manual.