Author Topic: What is the alternator output?  (Read 2755 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:01 pm
With my bike revving I could get about 14+ Volts out of it it would idle at about 13.5V with an AGM battery. It sounds like the R/R is failing on yours. I had other witing problems on my as in trying to get voltage to the headlight. It woaudl drop about a volt form the battery to the headlight. They were always dim. I ended up putting relays it that were wired straight from the battery to the headlights. The lights were great after that. I never did nail down where the drop was coming from, but it had to have been one of the switch boxes on the handlebars. It still had enough power to activate the  relays.
Those little queertrons running around in the smoke in the wires can do strange things!
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:22:51 pm
With my bike revving I could get about 14+ Volts out of it it would idle at about 13.5V with an AGM battery. It sounds like the R/R is failing on yours. I had other witing problems on my as in trying to get voltage to the headlight. It woaudl drop about a volt form the battery to the headlight. They were always dim. I ended up putting relays it that were wired straight from the battery to the headlights. The lights were great after that. I never did nail down where the drop was coming from, but it had to have been one of the switch boxes on the handlebars. It still had enough power to activate the  relays.
Those little queertrons running around in the smoke in the wires can do strange things!
Bare
Bare

Those ARE some excellent readings .... And yeah you would think a R/R failure, but so far no.  I'll catch and find those little suckers yet  ;)  Before they start sending smoke signals...
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:25 am
Before you get carried away.... leave the lights on for a while or crank it for a while with the sidestand down so it won't start. We are trying to drain the battery some. Then fire it up and see what voltage are you getting at the battery. Not much will happen to a full battery
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 02:08:43 am
So, lots of replies, but I guess no one has the definitive answer. 

I was hoping to find out how many electrical accessories I might be able to utilize by knowing first what either the known amperage or wattage output of the alternator is. . .

It would be nice if RE stated it clearly.  Somewhere.

Cheers,

Dan K.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:59 am
So, lots of replies, but I guess no one has the definitive answer. 

I was hoping to find out how many electrical accessories I might be able to utilize by knowing first what either the known amperage or wattage output of the alternator is. . .

The most definitive estimate is 216 WATTS, based on information from Scooter Bob. 

But the above estimate is derived from many factors and pretty knowledgeable people's input. So I am quite comfortable using that as a guide post. I had also used heated gloves and accessories at one time, so I needed this information badly. That discussion is also on the Forum and it was clear that there is not much excess for accessories, except for small ones and that too used judiciously. 

However, RE has not confirmed the above estimate nor denied it. Several years back I even had this question for Kevin and he had contacted RE in India but to my knowledge he did not get a numerical value in the reply.

Here is the link from 5 years back in 2009, that shows wattage of alternator

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5855.msg66922.html#msg66922

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:05:11 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 05:11:01 am
The most definitive estimate is 216 WATTS, based on information from Scooter Bob.

Thanks.  I guess I'll call it good enough and carry on.

Cheers,

Dan K.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:45 am
like I said earlier, 18-19 amps. wattage is voltage x amps; therefore 216 watts divided 12 volts =18 amps.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 02:14:00 pm
like I said earlier, 18-19 amps. wattage is voltage x amps; therefore 216 watts divided 12 volts =18 amps.

Thanks.  I wasn't ignoring your contribution to the thread.  I was just hoping someone would be able to quote an official document or reference that would be definitive.

Cheers,

Dan K.