Author Topic: Kick start  (Read 9959 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:30 am
I like using the kick start. It makes me feel good. The old guys on Nortons and Triumphs at the MILF cafe' ( a fun bike friendly cafe up in the hills, not it's real name  ;)) approve, and the kids on tupperware bikes get to see how it was done back in the day. A bit of an affectation, I guess. I use the E start maybe 50% of the time.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 01:07:22 am
I always use the kick starter to turn over the motor and then to break the clutch free.  Then I either start the bike with the kick starter or electric depending on my mood.

Why do you need to "break the clutch free"?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 02:40:20 am
I break the clutch free just as a bit of niceness to the gears.

By doing this, the dogs on the gears have an easier time of it when shifted into 1st.
They don't have to break loose the plates and disks that are always stuck together in the clutch pack after sitting overnight.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:24 am
I kick because it feels right. Doesn't hurt that she always starts on the first kick, either.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:10:04 am
Howdy:

How does one kick start an RE?  Still haven't figured it out. I'm a rookie eh. Thanks in advance.
2013 Bullet Electra

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 07:19:12 am
That's a good mix. When I finally pick mine up, I imagine it'll be my go to method. I grew up on dirt bikes, and kick starting just has a certain feeling about it. I imagine it's even more gratifying on a RE. You'd think more manufactures would have it as an option.
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 12:40:27 pm
          Why do you need to "break the clutch free"?

What Arizoni said, but I'll elaborate: when the clutch plates stick (search the forum for the "stiction" discussion), the engine and gears aren't isolated from each other when you pull the clutch lever in - obviously a problem.  If they're only lightly stuck, you might not hardly notice it when you drop it into gear.  If they're really stuck, like mine get in the cold, dropping it into gear can provide a loud bang and a jump of the bike.  Or, like mine did the first time I learned about this, a loud bang and a jump of the bike and stalling.  Hard on the gear(s).

So, in the cold, I use the kicker to break the stiction before starting.  If you're in neutral, with the clutch lever pulled, and your kick lever doesn't travel freely and without resistance to speak of, your clutch plates are stuck.  Free them up with the kick lever before your usual starting routine - Neutral, clutch in, push down on the lever... but be prepared to ease up quickly, because you'll suddenly find no resistance in the lever when the stiction breaks.

PraireCanuck - search the archives: there have been a couple of thorough UCE kick-start tutorials in the past couple of years...

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:38 pm
Thanks mattsz
2013 Bullet Electra

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:00 pm
Hello Arizoni/Mattsz, While on this topic, i would like some advise. I have observed that when i try to kick start the bike in the mornings, i have had the lever kick back really fast with a fairly loud sound. It is not a bang, but more like some thing (metal) slipping or like a tightly wound spring going off in a flash sending my flip flops flying a few times  :-[....however, the next kick is fine and the engine turns over like normal. What could it be ? it has happened at least 7-8 times in the two weeks of owning the bike...should i worry
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:00 pm
You should only worry if you're using flip-flops to kick start a bike! I've seen bikes kick back hard enough to rip the soles of riding boots and literally throw guys over the bars! Pull the clutch the first couple of times you kick it and that should take care of your problem.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:47 pm
Thanks Barenekd. I know i am being irresponsible by using flip-flops while riding. But i wear them only when i need to make a quick trip to a store/supermarket not more than a couple of miles from home. Ok, so about the sound while kick back, is it just a case of stuck clutch plates?
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:38 pm
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly when this "kick back" is happening.

Are you saying that if you push the kick starter lever down with your flip-flops and then your foot slips off, the lever rapidly snaps back up to the top?
If so, that is just the return spring doing its job.
It shouldn't damage anything but try to keep your foot on the starter lever.

If your saying you try to start the engine by just walking up to the motorcycle, flipping the lever out and then stomping on it and then, half way thru the stomp it suddenly stops causing your foot to come off and the lever then snaps back up to the top, you are using the wrong method of kick starting.
The reason the lever stopped is because the piston started up on the compression stroke and the force of the compression stopped the progress.

If you push the kickstarter lever down slowly until it stops moving, and then you apply more pressure to the lever to overcome the compression, the piston will slowly move up in the cylinder as the compression escapes.
When the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, it will suddenly become very easy to move the kick starter.  At this point, stop moving the kick starter down.
Allow the kick starter lever to return to its position at the top of its stroke.

Then, with the piston just past top dead center, give the kick starter a full kick all the way to the bottom of its stroke.

If you are doing this and bringing the piston to TDC before you start the final, full stroke kick and the engine suddenly fires, driving the kick starter lever back up, the ignition timing is set too far advanced.
There is no easy way for you to fix this yourself so take the motorcycle to a shop and tell them in detail about what starting method your using (piston to TDC, then kick) and tell them it is kicking back.
They should be able to fix the problem.

If the engine is actually firing too soon and kicking back this will rapidly destroy your starter sprag clutch.  Get it fixed as soon as possible.

I the meantime, assuming the engine does not try to kick back during starting when the electric starter motor is used, stop kick starting it.  Use the electric starter until it is fixed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:35:25 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:22 pm
"If you push the kickstarter lever down slowly until it stops moving, and then you apply more pressure to the lever to overcome the compression, the piston will slowly move up in the cylinder as the compression escapes.
When the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, it will suddenly become very easy to move the kick starter.  At this point, stop moving the kick starter down.
Allow the kick starter lever to return to its position at the top of its stroke.
Then, with the piston just past top dead center, give the kick starter a full kick all the way to the bottom of its stroke."
This is what i try to do everytime i kick start. But may be i just need more practice to get good at it...:) and  same is the case with false neutrals...i feel my bike has 10 gears. 5 to move and one neutral after every gear  :-[...needs practice i guess

Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 08:00:36 pm
I break the clutch free just as a bit of niceness to the gears.

By doing this, the dogs on the gears have an easier time of it when shifted into 1st.
They don't have to break loose the plates and disks that are always stuck together in the clutch pack after sitting overnight.
¥+1
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:08 pm
Sabbu
Remember, when kick starting your motorcycle you need to give it a full kick, all the way to the bottom of the stroke.

If you don't, even the momentum built up in the flywheels on the crankshaft may not be sufficient to drive the piston all the way thru its compression stroke.

If you quit pushing down too soon, the engine will "kick back".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe