Author Topic: Fuel Pump Shutdown  (Read 5667 times)

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
on: July 07, 2014, 10:32:26 pm
Howdy all, I'm loving the GT, just doing the break-in thing at night through town when there's no traffic. Today, I zipped over to Starbucks, had a cup, then went to my buddys' house to show the GT to his kid. Ten minutes later I left, or tried to. The bike wouldn't fire. WTF!?!? We pushed it into the driveway and started disassembly to get to the fuel pump connections. All good. It's hot today, 97f and just after 2:00cst. I parked it and bummed a ride to the house where I got on this forum to type this request for help. Back where I typed,'Ten minutes later...' I had an epiphany(that right?). I left the damn sidestand down. Okay here is where you guys laugh and laugh. Please do, because I can't hear you; I did, however, hear my friend and his kid laughing along with me. It was a big joke on me and I knew it...one of my rules of thumb is to do one harmless stupid thing each day and I didn't miss this one! I ar a idjit sometimes, and at my age it doesn't surprise me.
This bike is so freakin' cool,(oh hi, Captain Obvious) around this town people gawk, smile, point, and even ask questions. At the local 'stop-n-rob' a guy pulled up next to me while I was gearing up and I told him about it; he said he just bought some kind of 1400cc monster cruiser. Asking abuot top speed(young guy, not much sense) I told him "Maybe a hundred on a good day, but if I went that fast nobody could gawk, smile, point, and even ask questions, just like you're doing". I swear I saw the light bulb snick on when he asked about the price. "I'm gonna check one out, I might make a trade" he exclaimed. Go figure. He's the type that won't be happy with it, not like I am.
And I'll betchew a Mexican Peso every one of you fellers got the same sierrahotelindiatango-eatin' grin on your face I have when I ride the GT.
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Hewie

• Hewie
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:44:06 am
Haha, can't say I have fallen for the same trap  ;)  but then I lie often to keep good face ::)

Must admit  that is one thing that is currently annoying me with the GT, the side stand cut out switch activates when side stand down and in neutral  :o   Real pain I have a closed gate at home, due to dogs etc!  Thus start the bike up ,go and open the gate, bike is now warmed up, got my gear on and ride out the gate!   Knock it into neutral put the sand stand  down to hop off and close the gate.....engine Stops!!!  :o

Surey there must be a mod that can be done to  the side stand switch, so that it only cuts the engine out if you knock it into gear and  the side stand is still down?  :-\

Keep Riding
Hewie
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Riding:
2014 - Royal Enfield Continental GT
2012- Harley Davidson 883 Sportster
2010 - Triumph Bonneville T100
"Remember, when in doubt, use full throttle!  It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense....!"

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:01 am
To the best of my knowledge, that logic is not available with the Royal Enfield.

The switch is easy to bypass by simply unplugging the wire from the main harness.

I don't know where this plug is on the GT but on a G5 it is on the left side at the rear of the engine.  The harness is coming down the seat downtube and the connector is at the bottom.

Unplugging the side stand switch totally disables it so the engine will continue to run with the stand down.  That can either be good or bad depending on how good your memory is.  It's easy to ride off with the stand still down if your forgetful.
Usually, that just causes a loud scraping sound when you do your first left turn but under some conditions it can end up throwing the motorcycle down and you with it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:35 am
It could be done using a relay. You could use the ignition (+) and the neutral indicator feed (-) to trigger the coil on the relay which could interupt the switch wire to simulate the 'stand is up' condition....but most find it easier to disconnect the switch.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

dviscusi

• connoisseur of the finer things in life
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:44 am
I fell for the side stand down at the dealership even after they showed me. Luckily I've only looked like an idiot in front of my friends 2 or 3 times since when it wouldn't start.  I'll learn. Eventually. I keep think about disengaging the cut off but then I think it's probably made for people like me. 
2014 royal enfield continental gt

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:05:18 am
The wiring is the same as the G5/C5. Simply follow the wire up from the side stand and disconnect the first plug/connector and you are done.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Hewie

• Hewie
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:55:41 am
It could be done using a relay. You could use the ignition (+) and the neutral indicator feed (-) to trigger the coil on the relay which could interupt the switch wire to simulate the 'stand is up' condition....but most find it easier to disconnect the switch.

ooh  ere Relays (+) (-) etc all electrickary to me!  ???  Whats the best source to learn how to do this sort of thing, rather that just unplugging?  :-\   For someone who has a little bit of interlect but when he was in the Amy spent a long time looking for a 'left  handed  Screwdriver' and also a 'Long Weight (wait)' at the the stores  :-[ 

I'm an Accountant so I could tell you how much it costs to do, but thats about my limit, at present  ;)

Keep Riding
Hewie
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Riding:
2014 - Royal Enfield Continental GT
2012- Harley Davidson 883 Sportster
2010 - Triumph Bonneville T100
"Remember, when in doubt, use full throttle!  It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense....!"

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:33 am
ooh  ere Relays (+) (-) etc all electrickary to me!  ???  Whats the best source to learn how to do this sort of thing, rather that just unplugging?  :-\   For someone who has a little bit of interlect but when he was in the Amy spent a long time looking for a 'left  handed  Screwdriver' and also a 'Long Weight (wait)' at the the stores  :-[ 

I'm an Accountant so I could tell you how much it costs to do, but thats about my limit, at present  ;)

Keep Riding

The short -but ugly- answer is that unless one is well versed in basic electric theory and low voltage systems, it's best left to the pros. I've known guys that can rebuild a transmission in a modern hi-tech automobile but get totally confused with relays, diodes, and multimeters.  With electric systems, its not a matter of telling someone what to do, but rather, teaching them to understand the system so they can figure out the answer themselves, ...if that makes sense.
I thought about posting a thread in the 'tech' section of the forum on basic electrical, (relays, diodes, and such) but I wasn't sure the need or demand was there. 
                    '12 C5 military -sold

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:11 am
Hey guys, this was meant to illustrate my fallacy with the sidestand. See, this is the first bike I've ever had with EFI. I'm much more at home with old European bikes with Amals, Dell 'Orto square slides 'n' such. Fuel pump indicators, positive pressure, mapping is all well and good these days, but all the safety stuff is new territory. All my other bikes are old, the newest besides the GT is 32 years old. That one had the starter cutout switch on the sidestand, and I'll do to the RE what I did to 'Babydoll', reverse the switch.
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 05:39:31 pm
I have only been riding for 45+ years so I have no excuse. It has been almost three weeks since I last rode off with the sidestand down. It only happens when I park on the sidestand then put it on the centerstand. If I don't retract the sidestand at that point, I forget that it is down. So far it has just been embarrassing when some car driver points it out.

burtial

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:27:59 pm
The short -but ugly- answer is that unless one is well versed in basic electric theory and low voltage systems, it's best left to the pros. I've known guys that can rebuild a transmission in a modern hi-tech automobile but get totally confused with relays, diodes, and multimeters.  With electric systems, its not a matter of telling someone what to do, but rather, teaching them to understand the system so they can figure out the answer themselves, ...if that makes sense.
I thought about posting a thread in the 'tech' section of the forum on basic electrical, (relays, diodes, and such) but I wasn't sure the need or demand was there.

If you could figure out how to do this, and post a how-to with a parts list, that would be great. I think a lot of us would want this mod.

Mrmvolz

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 06:48:56 pm
Thanks for the info!!!! New to the bike, but not a new rider..love my GT! 3 weeks and counting!

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:55 pm
FYI: I started a thread in the tech section about the side stand bypass, hope to have the final project done soon
                    '12 C5 military -sold