Author Topic: Anyone seen my 3rd or 4th gears?  (Read 1283 times)

VintagePilot

• Scooter
on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:20 am
I just installed the rh shift kit on my '99 deluxe and while the shifting (into 1st at least) and braking have improved I can't seem to get the bike into 3rd or 4th gear. It goes into 2nd but if I press down all the way it goes into a false neutral. I've browsed YouTube, Hitchcock's, and here and I am guessing I need adjustment on the bellcrank or adjuster plate.The bellcrank is engaging the gear changer just fine so I suppose its the adjuster plate since when I try for 3rd I can't feel and gear motion at all. Any tips? Am I on the right path here?
1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe
1977 Honda Trail 90
2016 CCW Ace Deluxe
1946 Cessna 140

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:05:59 am
I think you're on the right path. It sounds like its the adjuster plate too far to one side. It only takes a FRACTION of movement to get results, so only move a smidge at a time. Did you center the adjuster plate, while in neutral, on your initial setting? 

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:16 pm
i read that the orientation of the cap that covers the bearings will cause it not to shift. the notch goes toward the ratchet assy.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

VintagePilot

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:46:16 am
In case anyone in the future finds themselves with this problem here is the outcome of my RH shift conversion:

The adjuster plate is REALLY sensitive to movement and not only adjusts left and right but can adjust very slightly up and down. Also, the bolt that holds on the automatic neutral finder is not meant to be tightened down; it has a spring for a washer for a reason and by getting the adjust plate just right and not torquing this bolt down I was able to easily get into all of my gears.
1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe
1977 Honda Trail 90
2016 CCW Ace Deluxe
1946 Cessna 140