Author Topic: Battery discharging overnight?  (Read 2888 times)

RoyalRider

• RoyalRider
  • Scooter
  • How do you like that helmet?
on: July 21, 2008, 04:07:48 am
I have a 2006 Electra with almost 6000 miles on it. Recently the battery has been losing its charge overnight. When I kick start it and ride it for a half an hour or so it will charge back up. Any ideas what might be causing it to discharge?
HELP
RoyalRider
"Ride hard or go home!"

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:21:51 am
straight ground somewhere good luck in finding it .. you will , eventually

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:47:14 am
If you disconnect the battery at night after a good run/charge, is the battery good next day? If so then you have a short to ground some where.If not probably bad battery.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Adrian

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:46 am
The Indian Exide battery on mine failed after just over a year! Speak to your local supplier about a reputable make for a replacement. I've been using a Varta since then (I don't know if you can get them in the US), and it seems to be lasting OK.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:43 pm
Does the Electra keep it's battery in the same location as the Classic?

I noted that, on my Classic, the (-) battery terminal is about 1MM from the frame, seperated only by the thin rubber boot. Check the battery mount and make sure it's tight. If the battery moved rearward, it might have worn through the boot and grounded.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:33:03 pm by PaulF »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:09:22 pm
Paul, the negative terminal is the ground and nothing would happen if it did touch the frame. The positive side, will give a fireworks display.  >:(

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:19:22 pm
I stand corrected ;D

Dr. C

• Dr. C.
  • Scooter
  • May America Bless God!
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:46:58 pm
Could be that some insulation has rubbed off of a wire. This sometimes happens were there is movement like at the steering head. Best wishes.
Dr. C. in NC

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:42:03 am
Is this a commont occurance, to have battery problems, or just one to check during maintaince cuz of vibration.
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:52:01 pm
Motorcycle batteries don't last as long as car batteries due to vibration in my experience. A couple of years is what I have been getting. But some could go longer, some less.
Prudent use of a Battery Tender is suggested. I used one on my last bike often and noted how long it typically took to fully charge. Over time I noticed it took less and less time to fully charge.
Note: Batteries like cooler conditions. In the summer they take longer to charge. Pretty much the same in real cold weather.
But I noticed the battery taking less time and kept pondering that, then one day it wouldn't crank the bike. A charge brought it back quickly and the voltage was what would be expected on a fully charged battery. Still it would not  crank. I left the volt meter on the battery and put a very small load on, and the voltage dropped to 10 VDC. Shorted cell ! But the battery measured good.
Things aren't always what they seem to be.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:26:59 pm
A common theme...Have a regular charger on my 06 iron (3.5k) as we speak..Been noticing the same thing....putting the piston just over tdc  worked for a awhile using the ES...
Now nothing using ES/dead...Even kickstarting has gotten harder...Of course once the bike has started and taken for a good ride, kickstart works great (one kick does it) and ES also starts....Gotta think the battery is possibly going bad...Going to get my VOM out and take a look....maybe ground problem and maybe not..Looking for a sealed battery for direct replacement without having the polarity issue...One manufacture apparently had one but then followup blog indicated they had only the gel battery with the polarity the opposite of what we need for a direct replacement...CMW was supposely looking for a source...Not crazy into cable stretching to make it fit but understand it is possible to do so...vibration associated with our enfield may be part of the problem...Rather go with Gel Cell battery than lead acid..the search is on..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:42 pm
Green,

Follow this link http://www.westcobattery.com/

The battery used to be 12V 14-L B now it is called 12V 14R-B.

I think the one CMW had was 12V 14-B.

Anyway the 12V 14R-B has the negative terminal on the left. The letter after evidently refers to the position of the positive terminal.

Phil

Edit: These are AGM batteries not gel. Gels are OK but have about .2 VDC less nominal voltage. But I don't use gels since they came out with AGM.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:27:33 pm by PhilJ »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:45:04 pm
PhilJ: Thanks...Assuming I need a battery, I'll check the website..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again