Author Topic: b5 update  (Read 2865 times)

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:05 am
Just rode 66 miles,and now have 318 miles on it,78.5 mpg. The odometer is 2% fast. No issues yet:it hasnt stranded me yet! The suspension works well on all surfaces,and gives a surprising good ride. This is taking time,but I am patient.     Lynn
Lynn

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:35:16 am
Make sure to do your 300 mile oil change and keep on putting those miles on!    :D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:33:29 am
Hi:

Now have 180km on mine.  Enjoying the process.
2013 Bullet Electra

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:55:09 am
Just rode 66 miles,and now have 318 miles on it,78.5 mpg. The odometer is 2% fast. No issues yet:it hasnt stranded me yet! The suspension works well on all surfaces,and gives a surprising good ride. This is taking time,but I am patient.     Lynn

Go Lynn! I bought my B5 on a Saturday afternoon, and by Monday it had 380 miles on it. The C5 I got at the end of March turned over 2,000 a bit over a week ago. The asphalt moves quickly under an Enfield's tires.  Hoping to add another 300+ miles to both bikes this weekend.

(And everything *does* smooth out once they break in--even if several bits do tend to also break off!)

dan0h

• Scooter
  • 2013 RE Bullet 500 EFI & 2013 KTM RC8R
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:39:54 am
1500 miles on my B5 now, getting better all the time - particularly the gear change.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:06:00 pm
When I first got my B5, it took me an 8 hour day to put a hundred miles on it. Ride a few miles, take a break, ride a few miles, take another break. I devoted the better part of 2 weeks to getting 1000 miles on it, then things speeded up considerably. Close to 3000 now, and have not been above 60 for more than a few seconds at the time. 60 mph just feels right on this bike in top gear. Not lugging it or over revving it.

I have had many tell me that they would not buy an Enfield because they won't go fast enough without breaking down. By fast enough, they mean cruising all day at 80 mph. I have a bike that will do that easily, and if I actually need to, I will take it. But to me the Enfield is more about enjoying the ride than trying to get somewhere (or nowhere) fast. At 60 mph, I have found it to be a relaxing ride with just the right feel and sound.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:13:12 pm
I totally agree with suitcase. I am no longer interested in going fast: done that. I enjoy the ride,and relaxing,just riding along,and enjoying it. Now am at 365 miles,and enjoying the bike! I hope you all have as an enjoyable experience with your Enfields! I found out that the neutral light has to be on,to start the bike! So far,no problems.
Lynn

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:25:23 pm
Glad you like the suspension Retrolynn, i find it unyielding and much too harsh, especially the front, handfulls of stiction and zero damping. I am a bit of a heavyweight but it is obvious this thing was made to carry a family of 4 + their possessions! ;D ;D. Something will be done to remedy the situation after a full break in. I am thinking softer, progressive front springs, decent fork oil, and Hagons for the rear.
Cheers, Roverman.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:14 pm
As I learned - don't expect a cushy ride from this bike's rear suspension!  There isn't much travel to allow it - I went from harsh ride to bottoming shocks pretty quickly!  Found a happy(ish) medium eventually, but the stock B5 seat was definitely a bust!  Too hard in combination with the RE suspension...  :-\

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:23 pm
Strange as it seems Mattsz, i could live with the rear, it's the front that kills me on what passes for a road here in Michigan. :D

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:11:10 pm
These bike must vary some.The suspension on mine is compliant,and handles small bumps,and irregularites in the road well. The seat is firm,but comfortable for me,but I also ride bicycles!
Lynn

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 12:02:07 am
These bike must vary some.

You ain't kidding!  ;)

The suspension on mine is compliant,and handles small bumps,and irregularites in the road well. The seat is firm,but comfortable for me,but I also ride bicycles!

I've ridden bicycles for ever, too - for a lot more miles than I've ridden my RE.

There's nothing I like about the B5 seat.  It's too hard, my long legs press against it in an awkward way, and the engine vibrations transmit right up through it, up my spine, and into my skull where they blur my vision - I literally cannot read small text on signs, etc (I've got no "natural padding", which may exacerbate the problem).  A switch to the sprung, fake "Lycette" solo seat solved that problem.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 12:04:14 am
Strange as it seems Mattsz, i could live with the rear, it's the front that kills me on what passes for a road here in Michigan. :D

We've got some pretty bad roads here, too - it seems that most places that have a proper winter do.  Decent fork oil, in the proper quantity, may go a long way towards improving that for you, as has been attested to by many other inmates, but I must say that when I went through the trouble to change my fork oil, I found them full of the correct quantity of stuff that didn't look particularly like the green sludge that basically everyone else was complaining about.  So, I have no idea why mine seem to have been properly filled, but I noticed no change whatsoever in ride or handling after completing that job...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:44 pm
I suspect that RE has got better regarding stuff like fork oil and the dreaded birds nest behind the headlamp. Mine is streets ahead of my old '03 in that regard. I have only started getting annoyed about the ride quality since the 8 month winter ended and the whole powertrain is smoothing out. Not a deal breaker but something to tinker with in the future. Mattsz, i also noticed no change when i changed the sludge in the forks in my old bike, weird eh?
Roverman.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 09:15:22 pm
The first thing that should be done on Enfields is to get the sludge they have in the front forks and put some real fork oil in there. I put 10w in mine and improved the ride an unbelievable amount. It was actually comfortable. Oh, yeah, a set of Hagons on the rear didn't hurt, either. Both operations are just about mandatory, but well worth it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 05:35:55 pm
These bike must vary some.The suspension on mine is compliant,and handles small bumps,and irregularites in the road well. The seat is firm,but comfortable for me,but I also ride bicycles!

I have a similar opinion.  My B5 rides very nicely, even with my MASS which is not inconsequential.  It almost seems to be built for carrying a family of six loosely strapped to every available anchor point ...... 
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 07:37:19 pm
Mostly agree with gremlin, though my tonnage may exceed the average here... I actually feel like the stock setup is soft for my preferences. I intend to switch to Hagons more properly rated for my "load" when funds allow. I am interested in moving to better springs up front, but can't seem to find a good source for those.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 07:50:07 pm
If you haven't changed oil in the forks, do that first, you might be surprised about how much better they are without changing the springs. Might want to go with a 1w as opposed to the 10w I used.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:56 pm
Reportedly, the fork oil was changed by the PO. Not sure what was used, though. It's on my list as well.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:35 am
I Might want to go with a 1w as opposed to the 10w I used.
Bare
That should give an interesting ride! :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.