Author Topic: Insurance to stay away from  (Read 3240 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:14 pm
So, it's finally time (or nearly so)  Decided on the bike, C5 military green, have the helmet, license, jacket and other riding paraphernalia.  All that is left is to get my insurance settled.  Now, everyone has their own favourite brand and I'm mostly deciding on price. But is there any companies out there which you would NOT recommend.  Specific reasons would be helpful.  Currently I'm leaning towards progressive.  Thank forum pals.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:45:01 pm
Progressive is NOT motorcycle friendly.  They are notorious for totaling bikes out for minimal damage and not allowing the customer to buy it back.  I have had good luck with Geico, towed me home in a timely manner when I broke down and also settled my claim with minimal head aches.  Also my rate hadn't changed since I filed my claim.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:35:55 pm
Progressive is not good.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:18:55 pm
Dairyland is not good.

After 20 years of paying their premium without one claim, my BMW got in a low speed crash.  They wouldn't pay the money to fix the few things that were damaged like the windshield, front fender, crash bar, shift lever, engine cam cover and saddle bag and chose to scrap it out.

It was over 12 years old but beyond the cosmetic damage and a leaky cam cover it was in good shape.

They sent out the local BMW dealer to estimate the value.  His estimate was a wholesale value quote for a damaged BMW which was a good $2000 less than it was actually worth.
His estimate is exactly what Dairyland offered me (less deductables).

When I balked at this, they said they had already scrapped it and I could buy it back from them with a Salvage Title that they would refuse to insure. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:03 am
Had a bad experience  with progresive .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:46:41 am
My wife had no issues with Progressive.  They are also the company my everything else insurer has a contract with for bikes.  Her story...bought bike, new rider dropped it 3 days after new to her...Progressive after researching to ensure the damage occured AFTER policy was initiated they paid for the "tow" and repairs no problem.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:30 pm
When I crashed the G5, Progressive told me it was totaled. I looked at it and could have easily fixed everything on it for $2500. I probably could've fixed what I needed fixing for $1500. They said they were totaling it even though I offered to take $2500 for it as I wanted the bike back. They said it was all or nothing, but I could buy it back for $900, but I would have to get a salvage title for it. I didn't want to do that, but they could obviously give a shit about anything I wanted. So I took the money, which in reality was more than fair, but their attitude didn't set well with me, and I told tham they'd never get my back as a customer again. I did call them for a quote when I got the Guzzi and it was nearly double what the RE was.
The other think I don't like abut them is that they are extremely left winged in their politics.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:22 pm
Progressive is not good.

I agree, but i get the best rate with Progressive. Besides, insurance on a motorcycle is not required in Washington last i checked. So make sure it is the "other persons fault" if you get into an accident.   ;)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:03 pm
I discovered that online quotes are often not as good as if you talk with an agent.  They apparently have more wiggle room to pull you in.
I had Progressive on my CBR250RA for its first year.  The rate dropped about 30% for the second year, which was good.  But I shopped around online and then got a call back from Allstate.  They saved me 23% of what Progressive wanted for this next year.  Geico came in over 2x the rate. 

Insurance rates have many variables, so it pays to shop around when renewal time comes again.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:48 am
I pay less than $11 a month ($116 for the year I believe) with Geico and they have taken care of me so far.  Progressive was almost $250 a year, I stopped shopping after that.  :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 04:35:55 am
I had great support from Progressive when I totaled my Yamaha V-Star 1100.  Thought their salvage price to me was too high.  Decided to not try to rebuild due to "frame damage."  But, they gave me more than I expected and had the check in my hand in less than 48 hours.  Also, their premium was less than a dollar more than the lowest quote. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:37 pm
Thanks, all.  I think I'm going forward with Riders Insurance.  They're the cheapest by far and I hear good things about them.  Hopefully I never have to use it!
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:57 pm
Thanks, all.  I think I'm going forward with Riders Insurance.  They're the cheapest by far and I hear good things about them.  Hopefully I never have to use it!
Yes, try not to have to use it.   ;)
But do get the most coverage you can afford.  I had low limits when my bike met a car.  The tortfeaser (man in fault) had low limits, and my low underinsured limits made for a lower settlement than it should have been.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

DaveTheYank

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:38:03 pm
I pay less than $11 a month ($116 for the year I believe) with Geico and they have taken care of me so far.  Progressive was almost $250 a year, I stopped shopping after that.  :D

Remember when GEICO was donating all those LTI laser guns to police departments across the country?  They made a killing on hitting their policy holders for fees when they got caught speeding.  Genius!  Not a great PR move though.
G'day from Brisbane, Australia!
2014 Continental GT
1974 Honda CB200

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:42 pm
IMO, getting far more insurance coverage than the minimum is a good idea.

If you get into a wreck and it could be in any way your fault you might have a severe problem.
With cars easily costing $50,000 to replace and medical coverage for anyone injured easily costing over $100,000 (each) you better hope your insurance can cover it.

I'm carrying $50,000/ $100,000/$300,000 on my RE and although it does cost a bit more than the lower coverage, I hopefully will still have a bit of money in my retirement fund if I ever get blamed for an accident.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary