Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 2453 times)

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
on: June 29, 2014, 06:26:06 pm
Hello:

A rookie here.  Been out riding with friends on my new 2013 C5 Bullet and she idles rough after I start it.  Yesterday it lugged in 1st & 2nd for 1st 5 mins or so.  Today 'luggarama', stalled out & then couldn't get it re started so pushed it the block back to my garage. 

Wily veteran riders: any tips?

Cheers.
2013 Bullet Electra

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:19 pm
Does it have gas in the tank?  Do you hear the fuel pump spin up when you turn on the ignition?

Scott

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:48:12 pm
Yes.  Thanks Scott.
2013 Bullet Electra

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:15:24 am
Check your side stand kill switch, disconnect it.
Known issue for stalling/intermitent running.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:57:51 am
+1.  Also throw in a NGK BPR6ES or BPR6EIX spark plug to fix the rough idle.  Another thing to check is the negative terminal lead at the battery....this connector can break and cause starting/running problems.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:10 am
I put that plug (the iridium one) in my GT as the first step to trying to make mine run nicely. When I took it back to the dealer to see if he could make it nice (he couldn't) he freaked about the plug, said it was way too hot and installed a new standard plug back in.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:41 am
IMO, he's full of crap.

The NGK # 6 heat range has proven to be exactly correct for the 500cc UCE.  Over 15,000 miles of riding and mine could not look better. 

Follow this link to the NGK site and find the Bosch WR7D.. plug.  (they don't show the WR7DDC4 which is the twin electrode plug that comes on the RE).
The important thing is that gives the heat range on the Bosch is the 7.

Note that NGK says to use the BPR6ES to replace the Bosch #7 heat range spark plug.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com.my/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=29
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:00 pm
I put that plug (the iridium one) in my GT as the first step to trying to make mine run nicely. When I took it back to the dealer to see if he could make it nice (he couldn't) he freaked about the plug, said it was way too hot and installed a new standard plug back in.

Way too hot !?   I believe he has his NGK heat range numbers reversed.  That would be ONE heat range Colder.   I believe the GT's come with an NGK equivalent of a 5.  Which would be HOTTER then a 6.    Lower number NGK = hotter.

And YOUR engine is configured a bit different then the 500's.  I would not give up on the plug that came with the bike..... it seemed like a decent plug. Or at least stick with the same heat range. Because if you are having problems with cold starts, long warm up times, stalling out before it's fully warm, surging. THAT is an air/fuel issue that needs adjustment.  It's not the plug , and certainly not ONE heat range difference.  If you but in a NGK 5 on something that might be on the lean side... it may exasperate the situation.  If you start putting in colder plugs , it may help a little to smooth things out some , but the issue is air and fuel.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:57:40 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

PrairieCanuck

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:55 pm
Thanks all
2013 Bullet Electra

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:40:55 am

Way too hot !?   I believe he has his NGK heat range numbers reversed.  That would be ONE heat range Colder.   I believe the GT's come with an NGK equivalent of a 5.  Which would be HOTTER then a 6.    Lower number NGK = hotter.

We both know that, but my RE dealer is a "Customer is always wrong" kind of a place and I couldn't be bothered arguing with him.
anyway, it doesn't run any differently whichever plug is in there.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:44:21 am
We both know that, but my RE dealer is a "Customer is always wrong" kind of a place and I couldn't be bothered arguing with him.
anyway, it doesn't run any differently whichever plug is in there.

I hear ya gizzo  :-\   ;) It's a frustrating thing. And I imagine the plugs wouldn't make a difference If you are that lean.  For what it's worth, my bike came stock back in 09 with a Bosch R6 plug that worked fine. But the single electrode plug is a better plug for these chambers. The bike ran like a top....chassis not so much!..... but the motor was perfect. And that I attest to the way the bike was set up and tuned.  And I do believe it's possable that it would be the opposite case with yours... Particularly in regard to TPS Voltage, and idle adjustment.  If you haven't already, check the TPS voltage. It really is worth a looking into..... If there is one thing that has been shown with these bike's, it that they leave the factory all a little different.  What works for one, may not work for another.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:03 am
Hi GHG. Sorry for sounding pissy on the Other Thread. You know which one. Changing the TPS doesn't seem to have as much effect on GT (at least mine) as the Bullets. Going over .67v gives an inconsistent idle.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:02:30 pm
Hi GHG. Sorry for sounding pissy on the Other Thread. You know which one. Changing the TPS doesn't seem to have as much effect on GT (at least mine) as the Bullets. Going over .67v gives an inconsistent idle.

No worries at all gizzo, I understand.  ;)  And that may be, depending on how much they cycle the injector in open loop before it's warm, and what is going on in closed loop on that bike.  At .67 v your idle can't be stabilized with the idle screw ?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:01:32 pm
At .67 v the idle starts to wander up and down. Higher voltage,more wandering. I remember someone else found their gt did the same,can't remember who it was. I guess that's not the end of the world but I'd prefer it to have a nice even tickover.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:28 am
  Yes, you definitely want a good idle.