Author Topic: Royal Enfield for NYC Riding?  (Read 2063 times)

nycnyc

• Neophyte
on: July 23, 2008, 02:41:39 pm
I'm seriously considering a 2008 Royal Enfield Bullet with the new AVL engine for riding around NYC. I've heard it's not that good for stop and go traffic.

Anyone ride on in the city (or any similar city for that matter)?

Also, wondering if there are any clutch or ignition upgrades that will help the bike from stalling too easily when I'm waiting at lights.

Since the nearest dealer is about 50 miles away I'm really looking for something as maintenance free as possible. I know its not the best choice but I'm in love with the look and don't really care about going fast.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:42 pm
There's another similar city? ;D

Waiting at lights for long periods of time isn't good for any air cooled bike. That being said sometimes your just going to get trapped. When that happens get into neutral and save your clutch. Before you start commuting it would probably be a good idea to get at least 600 miles on the bike. The AVL is the best choice of the Royal Enfields for city commuting due to the alloy cylinder.
Some others here may have more information for you. This bunch has a wealth of knowledge.

Good Luck

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:12:40 pm
NYC, I live in Philadelphia and have 03 iron cylinder Bullet.I use it as my daily ride to work. There is stop and go traffic in Philly, but probably no where near what you have in NYC. The iron Bullet does well on cool days. Hot days are a bit of a problem. She's never seized , but the heat coming off of the engine is substantial and the clutch can get a bit "grabby" The AVL motor is the better choice. Aluminum alloy sheds heat much faster than iron. As mentioned before, idling an aircooled motorcycles for long periods is not a good thing.  I don't want to dissuade you from getting an Enfield, but have you considered a motor scooter? Many of these are now water cooled and those that are not have fan cooled shrouded engines. They are becoming really popular in Philly. My fiance has one and I borrow it on days she is not using it. It has no problem with stop and go traffic and it is a hoot to ride. cochi :D

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:25:47 am
Stop talking about it and do it. The bike will serve you well, especially the AVL.

My only advice would be to replace the existing horn with a pair of Air Horns. Something like the Nautlius is a good bet.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

For those little "Sorry buddy, I didn't see you" moments.

"Bet you friggin' heard me though!"

It'll need a relay and fresh feed from the battery as it draws too much current for the horn push to be able to cope with but that's not too hard to do.

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:26:49 pm
You are certainly better off in traffic than on the L.I.E etc.....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:41:51 pm
I'm in the same boat as you: going to pick up a 2007 iron-lunged Classic from Mike in Oakdale in a couple weeks or so. I've never ridden in traffic but am planning to commute with the bike between Brooklyn and Central Park West. Maybe Chuck D, another Brooklyn rider who has a 2006 Sixty-5, will chime in about his experiences.

Anyway, maybe we'll start an NYC-area RE riders' group?

Jeff

firecaptp7

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:08:00 am
I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on this...but I will. I think I'd at least test ride an automatic liquid cooled scooter for that terrain.