Author Topic: bell tip megaphones  (Read 20743 times)

tex

• Scooter
on: August 05, 2007, 10:45:37 pm
Hey Bulleteers,

30-40 years ago bell tip megaphones were quite popular. They came both unbaffled and
with removeable baffles, and some were all one piece and some the bells came off leaving
a true, LOUD, megaphone such as a cheerleaders used. Back in the middle 60s I had a pair on an old BSA Thunderbolt, and then later on a pair on a 1950 Harley panhead. I remember
Bates being one of the manufacturers. Does anyone know if they are made today or
where you could locate some? I like my Goldstar muffler that I am currently running, but
I think an old syle megaphone would look and sound righteous.

Tex

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:53:27 pm
You can buy a 'dunstall' type megaphone, from JC Whitney.. click here
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:56:31 pm by IndianaBulleteer »
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:05:20 pm
Hey Bulleteers,

30-40 years ago bell tip megaphones were quite popular. They came both unbaffled and
with removeable baffles, and some were all one piece and some the bells came off leaving
a true, LOUD, megaphone such as a cheerleaders used. Back in the middle 60s I had a pair on an old BSA Thunderbolt, and then later on a pair on a 1950 Harley panhead. I remember
Bates being one of the manufacturers. Does anyone know if they are made today or
where you could locate some? I like my Goldstar muffler that I am currently running, but

Tex
I know just the pipes you are talking about. Paughco still is in business and just re-introduced the mufflers you want. They are made to slip on 1 and3/4" pipes. www.paughco.com                                                 Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:41:01 pm
I know just the pipes you are talking about. Paughco still is in business and just re-introduced the mufflers you want. They are made to slip on 1 and3/4" pipes. www.paughco.com                                                 Hutch

Off Topic:

I have no idea about their products, but the paughco web site is one of the worst laid-out sites I've seen in a long time. Lots of dead ends and missing links. And the catalog was hard to read and looked like a text book index. Their opening page provided me with the most useless informaiton ever: My screen resolution. I'm fairly sure I already knew it, and I'm not impressed that they thought it important enough that it was the first thing they told me about themselves.

It's hard to put a lot of faith in a company, when their representation is so shoddy. They spent way too much time on flash and bang, and far less time on content and actual testing of the flow and content.

Their web page is a company's first, and sometimes their only, chance to make an impression on a potential customer.... poughco impressed me; I probably wouldn't buy from them.

End of rant

post script: Rhett:

The Royal Enfield pages are well thought-out and designed, and I enjoy going through them. Thanks for your efforts; you've done a good job.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:41:31 pm
Good Rant, Rhett.   Sometimes we need to hear the real story.........dg

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:25:14 am
Tex, I don't know about their web page, but I can tell you that I have been dealing with them for 30+ years and they are a great company. I have their catalog and call them to order. They have been supplying bike parts since the 60's  and were about the only company supplying parts for the chopper craze in those years. When the chopper crazy died down they kept producing parts. There probably has been more choppers built on Paughco frames with their bars, tanks and front ends than any other company in the world.I just looked through the MAP catalog and Rask cycle and they don't list those megaphones. The last 2 companies I mentioned supply British parts. Here is Paughco's phone number 1-(800)423-2621You can't go wrong with them, like the RE they been around a long time. They are located in Nevada. You might want to call the other 2 companies I mentions because my catalogs are not up to date. MAP Enterprises 1(727)381-1151 they are located in Florida. Rask Cycle's phone is 1(800)210-1206 they are in PA. Good luck!!   Hutch 

Update: I just looked in my J&P catalog (www.jpcycles.com)and they have your mufflers in there, in a straight design and in an upswept.They have removable baffles, but not the tips. They have a 1 and 3/4 inlet and will slip right on a Classic. I don't know what bike you own but if the Electra pipe is the same they will work. I have a upswept fish tail with 1 and3/4 inlet on my bike and it fits great with no clearance problems anywhere. The straight is $99 and the upswept is $115.  While I was in there I removed the Catalytic converter out of the head pipe for better flow. You just have to grind off the welds and pull it out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:32:49 am by hutch »

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:38:16 pm
The Royal Enfield pages are well thought-out and designed, and I enjoy going through them. Thanks for your efforts; you've done a good job.

Thanks! We do try. We don't always strike the chord on the first try, but we try to revisit and refine the sites and their main attractions as often as we can.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

tex

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:44:56 pm
Hey All,

Thanks for the replies and the info on the megaphones. Seems like I had tried
Paughco a while back and they did not have them at that time. I will check on these
sources.

Thanks again, Tex

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:54:45 am
There's a guy who always advertizes those mufflers in Walneks. I think it's "allynaire"

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:01:04 am
Doesn't EMGO make those parts as well?  Check out page 55 of their on-line .pdf catalog.  I think that's just the thing you're looking for.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 12:58:37 am
check out these on ebay Item number: 4637519558 they are from that guy who runs the ads in Walnecks.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:56 pm
I tried to order them from j&p, they are on "eternal backorder" for the 1 3/4 inlet.
I know just what you mean about J&P, I waited for 5 months for a set of blue and chrome custom grips. When I got them there was one defective one that wasn't drilled the full length inside. They are on back order agian.    Hutch

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 05:43:25 am
Try Dennis Kirk.   www.denniskirk.com    1-800-969-7504
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 10:15:07 pm
 We will have a dunstall type muffler in the new catalog.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:12:07 pm
Hey Bulleteers,

Tex
Interesting you mentioned the Bsa Thunderbolt there Tex.  I've always hankered after one since a friend of mine owned a gorgeous black and chrome T'bolt in the mid-late 70's.  Colin was always imagining internal noises and therefore stripping and rebuilding the motor with alarming frequency.  I'm sur though, even with the plain main bearings, that the motor was more resilient than Colin's paranoid perception.  Of course , in the U.K., SRM engineering can convert the timing side bearing to a needle roller and apparently give the motor fantastic longevity.  I'm wondering how reliable you found the T'bolt Tex, as I'm torn between a new Bullet and a restored BSA twin?  I know the parts are surely easier found for the Bullet, but I don't think another motorcycle has quite matched the BSA Thunderbolt (or Lightning, but I like to keep thing s simple!) for desireability in my personal experience.  I'm drawn to the Bullet too, but a really nice late sixties T'bolt is something I know I will always want to own.  So how was the Bsa, a reliable daily runner if treated with respect?  It seems a good one would cost about the same as a Bullet and would just be my weekend toy, with the occasional longer jaunt.  Maybe I should have started a BSA thread on the "campfire talk" board, rather than highjack this one, sorry if I'm out of line :).