Author Topic: Hello, and Oil Leak  (Read 6774 times)

B5 Ben

• Scooter
on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:05 pm
Hello All,

New 2013 B5 owner here in California.
I'm having a great time with the bike so far. about to pass 700 miles.
Thanks for having such a great community, I have been able to find all the answers to my questions by searching the forum.

I was wondering if any of you have had any issues with oil leaks from the UCE engine. I am currently getting a slow leak from the clutch side of my engine when the bike is on the side stand. It appears to be coming from the small bolts that hold the cover on. I have tightened those bolts to see if that fixes the problem, but was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

Another factor might be the oil level. At the first oil change I needed to add about 2.25 quarts of oil to get the level to stay at the top line of the sight glass. I have the second drain bolt on my bike, and I don't think its overfilled since I am not getting any oil in the air box.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:25:09 am
Very nice bike. I see you already have the solo seat on it. I also bought a new 2013 B5 a few months ago, and currently have just over 2500 miles on it. I also keep my oil level just at the top of the sight glass, and have had no problems at all. All my life I have always filled engines to the top of the sight glass, or even with the "full" line on the dipstick. Never ever had a problem. I just can't deal with the idea of running an engine with a low oil level.

If you don't have any oil coming out of the crankcase breather, it is not over full.

You said it is coming from the clutch side when it is on the sidestand. Does it leak when parked on the centerstand? If not, the problem is caused by oil running over to the left side of the engine when the bike is leaned over, and likely leaking around the left engine sidecover. Don't overtighten the bolts. If it still leaks, it may need a new gasket. If you bought it new this should be a warranty issue.

Enjoy your bike. The Enfield is a very special one of a kind bike, and provides a very special one of a kind ownership/riding experience. It's the only bike out there that lets you experience the undiluted feel of riding a vintage British bike without actually having to deal with the expense and issues of the real thing.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:24:56 am
My 2012 Electra has developed an oil leak in the same place - the join between the primary drive cover and the engine block, just above the primary chain tensioner. At first I thought it was the tensioner itself, but I can see it weeping from the joint above and running down onto the tensioner. The cover allen bolts are tight, and the oil is not seeping past the bolts.

The solution is a new gasket (which I have).  I am loath to waste the recently changed oil to get the case off and cure the leak, so it will just have to wait until the next oil change.

Besides, back in the day, 'Royal Enfields' were sometimes known as 'Royal Oilfields' on account of the odd oil leak….  I feel like my bike has a real connection with the past now.

B5 Ben

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:27 am
Thanks for the info!

I haven't noticed any leak when the bike is parked on the the center stand. I will park it on the center stand for a while and see if any more oil drips out. If so I will look into a new gasket.
2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:13 am
I am loath to waste the recently changed oil to get the case off and cure the leak, so it will just have to wait until the next oil change.

Drain the oil into a clean container, change the gasket, and pour the oil back in.

Or, if you're like me, and would ride rather than repair a minor annoyance, then wait...  ;)

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:53:44 pm
I'd go with the gasket answer, however, I'm liking the look of that solo seat on the B5. Any chance of a side pic. I'm interested in how the rear looks 'side-on' Seat info would be good too ;)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:23 pm
Don't want to be contrary but 2.25 qts of oil is too much. I believe 1.75 is about average with all the plugs pulled. I had what i thought was an oil leak from the same area but it was the goop from the chain heating up and turning molten after a long ride. It takes a long time for this to go and when it cools it turns gelatinous!
 BTW, my oil level is just south of centre after a ride and on the centre stand. Cold level is over max(completely covers sight glass) and i only used 1.75 after an oil change and filter and pulling all drains.
Roverman.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:50:41 pm
Well, that's alarming! After riding a couple hundred miles since the last oil change (which the dealer did), I put in almost 500cc just to get the oil level barely visible in the sight glass with the engine hot. Now, a week later, it's not visible at all, so I have to put in more. This means that either I've been riding around with the oil way low, or I'm burning oil somehow (because I'm not leaking or seeping anywhere).
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:50:38 pm
> Rick. Recently changed the oil, put in just under 2 litres. Went for a ride , got back, put the bike on the side stand for a minute, then the center stand. No oil showing in the sight glass at all. Panic city, started the bike up and viola, showed full oil. has done this several times since. One of the weird little quirks of the bike. Putting the bike on the side stand allows the oil to go to the left side of the motor and then not flow back when placed on the center stand giving a false oil level.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:18 pm
Don't want to be contrary but 2.25 qts of oil is too much. I believe 1.75 is about average with all the plugs pulled. I had what i thought was an oil leak from the same area but it was the goop from the chain heating up and turning molten after a long ride. It takes a long time for this to go and when it cools it turns gelatinous!
 BTW, my oil level is just south of centre after a ride and on the centre stand. Cold level is over max(completely covers sight glass) and i only used 1.75 after an oil change and filter and pulling all drains.
Roverman.

+1  That's about what I find..... And if you get the right amount in the first time, when you change the oil, there is less confusion later.   It's very easy two add the correct amount and to check the level afterwords.

Well, that's alarming! After riding a couple hundred miles since the last oil change (which the dealer did), I put in almost 500cc just to get the oil level barely visible in the sight glass with the engine hot. Now, a week later, it's not visible at all, so I have to put in more. This means that either I've been riding around with the oil way low, or I'm burning oil somehow (because I'm not leaking or seeping anywhere).

If you think your loosing oil, and you have been checking it the correct way. Have a look at you air filter, to see if any has been blown out the vent. And or check your spark plug. If your burning oil from a problem with the rings or valve stem seals, your plug will be black and damp or oily.... A wet-ish black carbon build up.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:24:19 pm
Welcome aboard.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 11:55:21 pm
On my 2011 G5, a oil and filter change takes about 1.8 quarts of oil to refill it to the center of the sight glass.  This varies a bit depending on how far I lean the motorcycle right and left while the drain plug and filter screen plug are removed.

I mention the two plugs I remove to drain the oil because with the new engines which have 3 drains the answer will be different.

The new (added) drain plug is under the crankshaft and it drains the oil that has accumulated in the crankcase.

There is quite a lot of oil in the crankcase by design on all of the UCE powered motorcycles when the engine is not running.  This is not to be confused with the old Iron Barrel "wet sumping".
The oiling system pumps oil thru the crankshaft to lube the rod roller bearing and the cylinder walls.  Mist from the flailing crankshaft lubes the roller/ball bearings.
The oil that's thrown off collects in the bottom of the crankcase where the two crankshaft flywheels (balancers) pick it up and throw it over the wall into the transmission so it can lubricate the gears.

Anyway, with the old 2 drain engines this oil doesn't get changed.  With the 3 drain engines about a cup of extra oil is going to be drained so on refilling the engine, more oil is going to be required to refill it.

With the 3 drain system, one can expect the oil level in the sight gauge to drop after the engine is first started.  That's because the crankcase gets refilled and doesn't return that oil to the oil tank.

Anyone who has the 3 drain system and uses that third drain (and you should), needs to modify their oil refill method if they have been using the (old) 2 drain method.

They need to refill the oil to the center of the sight glass.  Then start the engine and let it idle for a minute and shut it off.  Check the sight glass and add more oil until the oil level is at the center of the gauge.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:18 am
Well, I happened to pass an auto parts store and picked up a quart of Mobil V-Twin. The bike easily took half of it, which means I've probably been running about a quart/liter low for a while.

Maybe it's my imagination, but the engine seems much smoother -- most of my symptoms from this thread http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19658.0.html seem to be gone or much reduced. So I think (based on when this started) that the dealer delivered it to me (after a transmission repair) low on oil, and I just assumed they'd changed the oil properly (and I find the sight glass unreliable anyway), and as a result I've ridden the bike 500 miles seriously low on oil.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

B5 Ben

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 02:00:08 am
Hmmm,

I have three oil drain areas on my bike, one bolt in the middle of the case, one towards the front, and the oil screen compartment. So based on what Arozoni said I assume it is not overfilled?

I will leave the bike on the center stand over night and see if any more oil leaks out.

Ive attached a side shot of the bike for Calrsberg, Seat is from Hitchcocks item #200081, Shipping was expensive from England, but with the other stuff I ordered it came out about the same as Nfield would have been.
2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 03:01:14 am
Hey Ben-

I've got a 2011 B5 with that "old fashioned" solo seat, which I got from NFG.  I'd be curious to see how the springs attach to your bike.  The brackets I got do the job, but they weren't a great fit, and I had to do some creative bending (and damaging of paint) to get them to work...