Author Topic: Hooray!-And the delicate art of bearing removal.  (Read 1878 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:51 pm
Finally split my crankcase and removed the offending crankshaft ! This is a big achievement for me- the only other one was a Honda 90 back in the eighties . And you know what -it was easy . The gear Box makes so much more sense when you can see it work . Tomorrow I will attempt to remove the main bearings . Apologies to the experts for seeming over exited , but get a real sense of achievement from this.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:04:31 am by AussieDave »
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:07:15 pm
i know what you mean. when you do it yourself two things come to mind.
1. the satisfaction you managed to do it
2. cash you saved doing it
all the best

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:38:06 pm
Thanks Wildbill. It's gonna be expensive enough putting her back together  though. My list of things that need attention just seems to keep on growing . But I'm just glad to be making progress -it's been six months since I've ridden.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:41:20 pm
Splitting the case is a big deal for ANYONE.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:19 am
 Thanks Kevin . I just hope I can put it back together as easily as it came apart. And I can't help wishing us Australians were part of your dealer network .
 And I must add, I would not have contemplated this without the support offered on this forum .

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:32 am
I wonder , do any of you good folk have any hot tips regarding crankcase bearing removal? I've read of Agee different techniques on the interweb involving hot water , blow torch , oven and using socket bits as drift . The clutch side of the case has two bearings overlapping ...and do the oil seals just pull out? Any advice is, as always  GREATLY appreciated. Cheers

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:01 am
Oven.
300 degrees.
Remove all plastic or rubber before heating.
Seals just pull out. I normally pry/lever them out with a screwdriver. Never try to re-use an oil seal.

Put the bearings in the freezer(in a plastic bag) and remove them just prior to installing them in the hot case. They should just drop in.

Getting the races off the crank is another matter. Torch applied directly at the race until hot enough to pull it off sometimes works. Other times, you have to heat it red hot with the torch and try to pry it up with levers to get it to move. Occasionally, you have to chisel them off, or cut them off with a dremel wheel. This is the hard part.

Putting races on the crank, heat up the race to 300 degrees, and drop it on the cold crankshaft with the shaft sticking upward, so the hot race just drops on to the shaft all the way at once. Have a one inch I.D. metal tube and hammer ready, so you can tap it down into place while it is still hot, just in case it hangs up partway down the shaft. Be quick about it, or it will be very hard to get off if it cools in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:00:24 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 12:19:44 pm
Awesome . Thanks AGAIN  Tom , your advise is invaluable .

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:25:49 pm
Who needs dealers when you guys are so talented!!  :D  (Just kidding for all of your dealers out there). A good dealer is beyond their weight in gold
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:08 am
Dave,

I'm glad to see you back on track.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 02:25:39 pm
Thanks Roeland. Shouldn't be to much longer.