Author Topic: It does not like to stop!!  (Read 4982 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36:46 pm
Everyone countersteers whether they admit it or not.  If they didn't, we wouldn't so many people crash sidecars into things the first time they drive them.  You ride a bike, you drive a sidecar.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:01 pm
Everyone countersteers whether they admit it or not.  If they didn't, we wouldn't so many people crash sidecars into things the first time they drive them.  You ride a bike, you drive a sidecar.

Scott
Shouldn't that say "you ride a bike, you crash a sidecar"? ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 08:57:51 pm
I have seen them drifters take a shapr turn in one direction just enough to let the rear-end slide away and then quickly counter steer to maintain the drift untill they need to straighten...it that it? If yes, then i think i understand the concept :) if it is not i am not ashamed  8)

IT's nt exactly the same as you are not lookig to brek the erar wheel loose, unless you're riding in thedirt, then it's somewaht similar. But in a car, youi'r sterring into the corner to break it loose, then countersteerin to control the drift. With a bike, you turn the wheel right to start the left turn. simply, the way it works is more like turning an airplane than a car. When you turn the handlebars to the right, it makes the bike start falling to the left, then you basically set the front wheel to hold the bank that you want. Then when you want to straighten up, you steer into the turn which straightens up the bike and if you keep the steering input in it will continue into a bank the other way. Ess turns, doncha know.
For the airplane comparison, when you bank an airplane into a turn, it will initially turn the other way because of the increased drag on the outboard, upward wing because the increased lift required to raise the wing causes increased drag. The bank angle determines the rate of the turn because the vertical lift vector is not vertical any more, but pulling the plane into the turn. You need to add some rudder into the turn to stop that adverse yaw that occurs initially.
Now for the Target Fixation problem. Target Fixation is a problem have when they look at something when they are driving/riding, they tend to head that way. If you ant to hit an object while you are driving/riding down the road, just look at it. You're going to hit it! I see skid marks on the mountain roads all the time where it's obvious the rider as looking at a bush or tree. You are not exempt! I catch my self doing it occasionally. Here is where being aware of countersteering comes in handy. When I find myself aiming at something, instead of wobbling around until I hit it, I just think, "PUSH" and push the bar to miss the object. It has worked for me for a long time as I haven't run into anything in years. IT tanks just a fraction of a second to respond to the thought which has offered me plenty of time to turn instead of some thought of, "Oh, What do I do now?  Brake? Turn?  Jump off? Lay it down?" In the meantime, you're crashing into the target. There is only one decision necessary and it's saved me every time.
As for "laying it down" goes, that should really not even be in the choices. It's a poor one. You can brake a bike to a stop in a far shorter distance than you are going to slide after you've taken the time to maneuver the bike into a laydown position! Jumping off offers you a better chance!  Laying it down always seems to be a Harley riders favorite option. Perhaps it's because the ones who'd do that probably only ride about 400 miles a year.
Anyway, lecture for the day, I guess. The best thing for anyone to do is go and out and practice stopping techniques, Countersteering awareness, try to avoid target fixation, and ride a lot. Keeping current riding is the best thing you can do. I can tell the difference if I don't ride even just for a month or two. The sharpness and awareness just isn't there.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 09:00:33 pm

Yeah, and those other three wheelers that should come with a steering wheel instead of handlebars.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:58 pm

Closer to the truth ;)

I read something interesting on sidecars.  When touring with one, you should only expect to make (I think) about 60% of your usual motorcycling touring mileage per day.  Where a motorcycle largely guides itself down the road when going straight a sidecar rig requires constant input to keep going straight.  There's no self centering on a sidecar, and keeping it pointed in the right direction is both mentally and physically tiring.

Scott