Author Topic: First flat  (Read 2715 times)

Jkilla71

• Scooter
on: June 20, 2014, 08:59:13 pm
I got my first flat tire in 25 years while riding. I have had many flats appear when bikes were sitting in the garage but never while riding.
The funny thing is I thought there was a problem with the front tire and it was the rear that was going flat. I finally noticed the rear tire was almost flat and crawled to a gas station not far from home, filled up the tire and was able to get home but it deflated after it was sitting a little bit.

You just have to remove the axle to remove the rear tire but the way the rear brake slides off the swing arm was kind of a chore to take off and put on. Also, I never had a bike before that the sprocket stays on the bike when you remove the wheel but it is kind of nice not having the sprocket on the wheel to dirty up my car when I took it to the bike shop for a new tube.
There ended up being a 3 inch staple in the center of the tire.
1967 T100R, 1970 CB350, 1982 XL185, 2014 RE GT, 2015 CBR300r

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:21 pm
I have never had a flat while riding a motorcycle.  I was riding my road (pedal) bike some years ago.  The front tire blew.  That was a wild ride, coming to a stop without dumping myself and the bike.  I can only imagine what it would be like to have a tire blow on the GT.  At those speeds, scary!.
If a tire does blow, I understand that when this happens, don't panic, ease off the throttle, avoid any sudden braking, and move carefully to the shoulder.  The front blowing would be worse in terms of keeping control of the bike.

Hewie

• Hewie
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:00 am
I too have been riding for years, never had a flat whilst riding but I go a flat in my rear tyre whilst riding the Bonneville last year!  I also thought it was the front wheel  playing up  ???  Got off and back on a couple of times, thinking Thye tyre is ok, I wonder if it is  a spoke playing up or the wheel is out of line?   before I looked at the back wheel, which had an obviously flat  :-[

Interestingly I also had Pirelli Sport Demons on The Bonnie!  :o

Intersting re  the rear  sprocket, I have never seen that set up before!  If I took the rear  wheel off  and  still saw the sprocket there, I would have cussed and  cursed thinking 'Shit I have really f*cked this up!'   ::)

cheers
Hewie
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Riding:
2014 - Royal Enfield Continental GT
2012- Harley Davidson 883 Sportster
2010 - Triumph Bonneville T100
"Remember, when in doubt, use full throttle!  It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense....!"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:19:41 pm
Several old Brit bikes had a similar setup, and all the single sided swingarmed bikes of today are set up like that.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:35:32 pm
I've only had rear flats while riding thankfully.  A front flat while riding is down right treacherous.     :o  Tho a flat rear tire at 60mph will make your butt cheeks pucker.  ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King