Author Topic: Side Stand or Kick Stand  (Read 4514 times)

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:23 am
So what does everyone use when the bike is parked, at work, and at home?  I use the centre stand at home, and usually, but not all the time at work.
Opinions?

TheContinental

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:19 am
Center stand most of the time.  I use the side stand too but there is a bit more stability on the center stand.  I like a center stand on all my bikes.  They are handy when doing various types of maintenance.
Current stable:
2014 RE Continental GT
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2004 Vespa GT200
1980 Honda CB400 Hawk
and many others gone but not forgotten.

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:46 am
It is difficult to get the bike off the center stand if it is facing up the hill, which is really the only way to point it when parking so it will not roll back.   I did get stuck for a while when I parked the bike facing up hill.  It was really difficult to roll the bike forward, up the incline, enough to get it off the center stand.  The side stand is a lot easier to launch from if pointing up hill, though it is probably a little less secure that the center stand.  Best case scenario is to find a level parking spot, which is what I do if I can.

burtial

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:47:04 am
I took the center stand off to save weight and to have a less cluttered look. I reinstall it for maintenance.

STL Conti GT

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:59:26 am
I love the centerstand, but in my garage with a concrete floor, my bike sometimes just slides forward and does not come off the centerstand.  It is great for maintenance (lubing the chain without one would suck!).  Right now, though, my Divya is sitting on her sidestand in the garage.  Out in "public", I prefer the centerstand.
Sincerely,

Brian Goldberg
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT (7" Headlight, Premium Sports Silencer, K&N Air Filter, Ballistic Battery, Carpy's Trafficators, Dime City Bar-End Mirrors, Fender Extensions removed)
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2008 Vespa GTS250ie
2005 Honda CMX250C

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:06:09 am
Dude, mine does the same thing on the smooth concrete of my shed floor. Drives me mad. I park it up on the centre stand with a carpet square underneath so the stand has something to grip onto. I'm thinking of cutting the round feet off and copying the ramp shape ones on my Pantah. It rolls on and off with ease.
I like the centre stand at home, sidestand when I'm out.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:37:55 am
I love the centerstand, but in my garage with a concrete floor, my bike sometimes just slides forward and does not come off the centerstand.

Me, too.  Just a little pressure of my toe on the floor with my foot on the center stand "lever" is enough to keep the stand from sliding when pushing it off the stand, either when standing next to the bike or when straddling the seat (with both feet on the floor, of course).

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 02:47:18 pm
I treat mine to the carpet treatment. I almost always use the centre stand since that is all i used to have on REnfield, late lamented 2003 Iron Barrel.
Roverman.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:30:47 pm
I use the one that is most convenient at the time, even at home. If I need to check teh oil or put gas in it, it gets the center stand.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:08 pm
Since I kick start the bike ends up on the centre stand anyways!
At work until I fixed my tappet leaking I use to put her on the side stand so I could quickly wipe that wee dribble of oil so no one at work would mock me for having a leaky bike!

Generally centre stand everywhere else, make your bike more different if everyone elses bike is leaning over and your Enfield is to attention!
But side stand at home as my current parking is on uneven stoney ground, so two planks of wood to the side keep the bike secure on a 15-20 degree angle.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 02:02:02 pm
I've always thought the side stand to be a more stable configuration than the center stand because the support points (tire contact patches and the stand) are wider apart than the front tire contact patch and the two points on the center stand. 

Also the side stand has the bike leaning a bit, which makes for a more stable equilibrium than the center stand does - the torque equilibrium of the bike on its side stand is made of greater torques than the equilibrium of the torques on the bike's center stand because the lever arms are longer on the side stand than the center stand and thus more external force (torque) is required to upset it.  I think.

2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2