Author Topic: What has riding changed in your life?  (Read 2792 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
on: June 16, 2014, 11:57:54 am
My story is still writing itself but I'm interested in hearing how riding has changed or altered your lives, outlooks or whatever!
This will also give me some insperation for some writing :)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:18:23 pm
Riding for me is very Zen, even commute riding.  Being so singularly focussed on riding safety, paying attention to turns, listening to the bike...

Riding puts thoughts of everything else but riding out of my mind.  When I'm not using my bike for a commute, I am still wound up and cranky after work because driving home in a cage allows my mind to keep working over everything that was a PITA that day.

My .02  8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:29:30 pm
+1, bro!
Can't think of anything more calming than clearing the cobwebs after a shyte work week.

Even on a bad day just knowing I can get out occasionally brings a bit of snap back into the step.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:51:53 pm
My exwife thought I should go through life without riding. Let's just say the bikes outlasted her. I'm sure nothing in my life would have ended up the same without motorcycles. My life has pretty much revolved around them, definitely for pleasure and, at times, even my livelyhood. Probably one of these days someone is going to have to pry my cold dead hands off the handlebars!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:11:48 pm
Let's see.  Things that a motorcycle has improved in my life........

Stress relief, adrenaline rush, relaxation, killing boredom, saves on gas, gets the chicks, makes you happy, makes you sad (when it breaks), a love hate relationship, introduces you to new friends, takes you places a car can't and won't go.  It's a love affair.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:44:51 am
There's always a good  motivation to go on the smallest of errands, it makes me look forward to the trip to work (sometimes), lets me spend a lot of time with my friends without actually having to talk to them (I mean it in the nicest possible way: I really like the company but I just can't chatter box like some of them) same reason I love paragliding, sharing a common interest with my wife (and kids), and bikes just make my life more Interesting than my non riding friends and familys seem to be. I'm sure they would differ on that one though.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:51 am
What has riding changed in my life?
  • I get up early for work, and when I drive my car, I usually arrive tired and listless.  When I ride, I arrive feeling awake and energized!  It's hard, however, on the nicest of days, not to just ride on by and keep going!
  • My wife worries about me a lot more than she used to.
  • I spend too much time on this forum.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:00 pm
My wife worries about me, too. She blames me for her gray hair.
I just tell her don't worry about me, I don't!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:31 pm
Motorcycles are warm fuzzies for me.

In 1965 from the moment my cousin asked if I would like to drive his new 1965 BSA in the high school parking lot, and I felt my arms straighten from thrust, I knew I needed one.

49 years and several bikes later, I'm still at it and still enjoying the ride.

Barry
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:23:21 pm
a big + 1 to just about everything everyone said. about 1944 or 45 , i got a ride on my folks indian  that was when i was about 2. yes i still remember that.in 1955 i got my first scooter a meade cycle and have been in love with and  on 2 wheels  ever since.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:11 pm
You guys are all so eloquent! I started riding at age 12. I can't imagine not riding. There was a brief period in my teens when I figured out that fathers of teen girls don't let them go out on bikes. That was a reason to drive a car. I did get a promotion at work one time by letting the boss take my Electra-Glide for a ride. Does that count?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:26:31 pm
One of my first rides on a motorcycle was when I was about 15. I was at the fair and they had one of those vertical "Tower of Death" tubes the show guys would ride up the sides in. They asked if anybody wanted to ride and I guess I was the first to put my hand up. they were riding flathead Indians. I jumped on the back and the rider took off and climbed up the sides. he went right to the top for a few laps then started "S" turning up and down the sides. I was loving it. When he landed and I tried to get off, I was so dizzy I could barely stand up. Man, what a great ride! I guess I had ridden with my grandad earlier in life when He was a motorcycle cop, but none of the early stuff stands out like that "Tower of Death." Then late I got a ride on the back of a Matchless around a scrambles track, jumps and all. I know what I wanted to do, but my parents weren't exactly hot about the idea, but they finally capitulated, and I got to go racing.  I had a job at the airport as a line boy. The local scrambles rack was about a half mile away, so I spent every lunch hour down at the track learning how to do this stuff, falling off included. My boss would be pissed when I came back to work covered with dirt on his company coveralls. Great times!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 01:34:18 am
One of my first rides on a motorcycle was when I was about 15. I was at the fair and they had one of those vertical "Tower of Death" tubes the show guys would ride up the sides in. They asked if anybody wanted to ride and I guess I was the first to put my hand up. they were riding flathead Indians. I jumped on the back and the rider took off and climbed up the sides. he went right to the top for a few laps then started "S" turning up and down the sides. I was loving it. When he landed and I tried to get off, I was so dizzy I could barely stand up. Man, what a great ride! I guess I had ridden with my grandad earlier in life when He was a motorcycle cop, but none of the early stuff stands out like that "Tower of Death." Then late I got a ride on the back of a Matchless around a scrambles track, jumps and all. I know what I wanted to do, but my parents weren't exactly hot about the idea, but they finally capitulated, and I got to go racing.  I had a job at the airport as a line boy. The local scrambles rack was about a half mile away, so I spent every lunch hour down at the track learning how to do this stuff, falling off included. My boss would be pissed when I came back to work covered with dirt on his company coveralls. Great times!
Bare
Line Boy! That brings back memories. Mostly good. Do they still call them that? It sounds so politically incorrect.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 02:35:56 am
Great story bare!   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 08:14:05 pm
Line Boy! That brings back memories. Mostly good. Do they still call them that? It sounds so politically incorrect.

I retired in 2011 after 28 years of Cessna aircraft sales, and the "Line Crew" was pretty much known as "line boys".  On occasion, a female would be hired and known as a "line girl". They seemed to be OK with that. The only thing required of either sex was to perform your line duties.

Some employees take issue with that today. Not what sex they are, but that they are required to perform their duties. Just sayin'.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 10:47:04 pm
My story is still writing itself but I'm interested in hearing how riding has changed or altered your lives, outlooks or whatever!
This will also give me some insperation for some writing :)
Nothing has changed except I'm a lot older.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.